I have an older cover from Bummis,like maybe an older style,it 's blue and has stars on it and a mesh like inside. it leaks a lot!he's wearing a nice thick fitted diaper and he's soaked through all ready to the cover,it's only been an hour. so do covers lose ability to prevent leaks or be water proof?
Mothering Top Picks
- categoryCloth Diapers
Related Forum Threads
- Typical Life Span of a Cloth Diaper Last post on 4/28/13 at 3:05pm in Diapering
- diaper stash Last post on 5/1/13 at 5:52am in October 2013 Due Date Club
- Weehuggers cover, cute prints Last post on 5/16/12 at 11:39am in Diapers & Diapering Supplies
- SOLD Last post on 5/2/12 at 3:21pm in Diapers & Diapering Supplies
- Sm covers & Med Diapers Last post on 4/13/12 at 1:40pm in Diapers & Diapering Supplies
Mothering Article Convinces Mom to Switch to Cloth Diapers
Edited on 10/18/12
- Valentines Bambino Mio Giveaway Winners...Edited on 2/25/13
- Planning a 2012 Great Cloth Diaper Change EventEdited on 11/10/12
- Getting Started With Cloth DiapersEdited on 3/18/13
- Diapering ResourcesEdited on 4/3/13
do covers lose ability to hold leaks?post #1 of 512/22/10 at 3:22pmThread Starterpost #2 of 512/24/10 at 8:42ampost #3 of 51/1/11 at 5:22pm
I used bummies covers when I first started cloth diapering nearly 2 years ago. They never held up past a few months. They soaked through as though they were just cotton! My thirsties covers are still going strong...post #4 of 51/2/11 at 11:19am
If it has mesh inside, it might be a Bummis Original or Bummis cotton. They're not really meant to go over a fitted; they're meant to be for prefolds or flats.
Or is it like this one here?
(which I understand is more or less the same thing as the Bummis original/cotton cover)post #5 of 51/3/11 at 12:44pm
YES, it's possible! And yes, it's highly annoying.
And I had the same issues with the same covers (Bummis, mesh on the inside, pretty pattern on the outside). It lasted through one baby, just barely, and now I've got Mother-Ease covers and have yet to have a leak (even though I bought them used).
The problem might be the covers themselves, OR if might be a detergent residue issue. Do your diapers also have these "symptoms"?: smelly diapers or covers, repelling of liquids, skin irritation, yellowing of white fabrics, leaky covers (I'm just quoting from a pamphlet I got at a local cloth diapering store)
You might want to try this treatment method to see if you can salvage the covers. I tried it on a few Bummis covers, and it seemed to have improved their water-proofness (is that a word?).
"Repeat the following process twice: 1. Run your covers and diapers twice through a wash with only hot water (if allowed by manufacturer's washing instructions). 2. Run a second wash using 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar. 3. Use another 1/2 cup vinegar in the first rinse cycle of the second wash. 4. Run a second rinse cycle with plain hot water. 5. Dry covers in dryer."
They have a website that might have more info for troubleshooting. Look under "resources" at www.extraordinarybabyshoppe.com
- do covers lose ability to hold leaks?
- Valentines Bambino Mio Giveaway Winners...
- › Predictions? 10 seconds ago
- › 52 Project Challenge, 2013 30 seconds ago
- › Need car seat for tall 4 year old 2 minutes ago
- › 32+5 and still no one to catch this baby... 4 minutes ago
- › Bed sharing with a newborn and a 3 year old 5 minutes ago
- › FTM with labor stall? TMI big time. 7 minutes ago
- › Getting birth center off my back 7 minutes ago
- › A Saner TTC-The Pink Moon 7 minutes ago
- › Need endocrinologist in NJ/eastern PA! 8 minutes ago
- › Gestational Diabetes Testing 8 minutes ago
- › Bravado Designs Bodysilk Seamless Nursing Bra by casaDES
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by monkeygirlmama
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by JillVettel
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo