I have an older cover from Bummis,like maybe an older style,it 's blue and has stars on it and a mesh like inside. it leaks a lot!he's wearing a nice thick fitted diaper and he's soaked through all ready to the cover,it's only been an hour. so do covers lose ability to prevent leaks or be water proof?
Mothering Top Picks
- categoryCloth Diaperstagged by System, 1/6/11
Related Forum Threads
- cloth diapering Last post on 9/11/13 at 11:26am in June 2013 Due Date Club
- loving CD execpt for night time leaks Last post on 7/6/13 at 7:43pm in Life With a Baby
- What would you recommend to a mom CD'ing for the first time? Last post on 9/14/13 at 4:14am in October 2013 Due Date Club
- Typical Life Span of a Cloth Diaper Last post on 4/28/13 at 3:05pm in Diapering
- diaper stash Last post on 5/1/13 at 5:52am in October 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering Article Convinces Mom to Switch to Cloth Diapers
Last edited: 10/18/12
- Valentines Bambino Mio Giveaway Winners...Last edited: 2/25/13
- Planning a 2012 Great Cloth Diaper Change EventLast edited: 11/10/12
- Getting Started With Cloth DiapersLast edited: 3/18/13
- Diapering ResourcesLast edited: 12/26/13
do covers lose ability to hold leaks?post #1 of 512/22/10 at 3:22pmThread Starterpost #2 of 512/24/10 at 8:42ampost #3 of 51/1/11 at 5:22pmpost #4 of 51/2/11 at 11:19am
If it has mesh inside, it might be a Bummis Original or Bummis cotton. They're not really meant to go over a fitted; they're meant to be for prefolds or flats.
Or is it like this one here?
(which I understand is more or less the same thing as the Bummis original/cotton cover)post #5 of 51/3/11 at 12:44pm
YES, it's possible! And yes, it's highly annoying.
And I had the same issues with the same covers (Bummis, mesh on the inside, pretty pattern on the outside). It lasted through one baby, just barely, and now I've got Mother-Ease covers and have yet to have a leak (even though I bought them used).
The problem might be the covers themselves, OR if might be a detergent residue issue. Do your diapers also have these "symptoms"?: smelly diapers or covers, repelling of liquids, skin irritation, yellowing of white fabrics, leaky covers (I'm just quoting from a pamphlet I got at a local cloth diapering store)
You might want to try this treatment method to see if you can salvage the covers. I tried it on a few Bummis covers, and it seemed to have improved their water-proofness (is that a word?).
"Repeat the following process twice: 1. Run your covers and diapers twice through a wash with only hot water (if allowed by manufacturer's washing instructions). 2. Run a second wash using 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar. 3. Use another 1/2 cup vinegar in the first rinse cycle of the second wash. 4. Run a second rinse cycle with plain hot water. 5. Dry covers in dryer."
They have a website that might have more info for troubleshooting. Look under "resources" at www.extraordinarybabyshoppe.com
- Valentines Bambino Mio Giveaway Winners...
- › General Chat 3 minutes ago
- › Irrational fears, anyone? 6 minutes ago
- › A venerable who's who of vaccine skepticism….. 6 minutes ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread - Spring 2014 8 minutes ago
- › Thanks, Pharma. You created the “anti-vaccine movement” 9 minutes ago
- › Feminism, Childcare workers, employment terms 12 minutes ago
- › Cold (sick) in the 1st trimester. 13 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 14 minutes ago
- › March 2014 *already*! What did you accomplish today? 16 minutes ago
- › unsupportive dr, not sure where to go from here. 21 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild