I have an older cover from Bummis,like maybe an older style,it 's blue and has stars on it and a mesh like inside. it leaks a lot!he's wearing a nice thick fitted diaper and he's soaked through all ready to the cover,it's only been an hour. so do covers lose ability to prevent leaks or be water proof?
Mothering Top Picks
- categoryCloth Diaperstagged by System, 1/6/11
Related Forum Threads
- cloth diapering Last post on 9/11/13 at 11:26am in June 2013 Due Date Club
- loving CD execpt for night time leaks Last post on 7/6/13 at 7:43pm in Life With a Baby
- What would you recommend to a mom CD'ing for the first time? Last post on 9/14/13 at 4:14am in October 2013 Due Date Club
- Typical Life Span of a Cloth Diaper Last post on 4/28/13 at 3:05pm in Diapering
- diaper stash Last post on 5/1/13 at 5:52am in October 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering Article Convinces Mom to Switch to Cloth Diapers
Last edited: 10/18/12
- Valentines Bambino Mio Giveaway Winners...Last edited: 2/25/13
- Planning a 2012 Great Cloth Diaper Change EventLast edited: 11/10/12
- Getting Started With Cloth DiapersLast edited: 3/18/13
- Diapering ResourcesLast edited: 12/26/13
do covers lose ability to hold leaks?post #1 of 512/22/10 at 3:22pmThread Starterpost #2 of 512/24/10 at 8:42ampost #3 of 51/1/11 at 5:22pmpost #4 of 51/2/11 at 11:19am
If it has mesh inside, it might be a Bummis Original or Bummis cotton. They're not really meant to go over a fitted; they're meant to be for prefolds or flats.
Or is it like this one here?
(which I understand is more or less the same thing as the Bummis original/cotton cover)post #5 of 51/3/11 at 12:44pm
YES, it's possible! And yes, it's highly annoying.
And I had the same issues with the same covers (Bummis, mesh on the inside, pretty pattern on the outside). It lasted through one baby, just barely, and now I've got Mother-Ease covers and have yet to have a leak (even though I bought them used).
The problem might be the covers themselves, OR if might be a detergent residue issue. Do your diapers also have these "symptoms"?: smelly diapers or covers, repelling of liquids, skin irritation, yellowing of white fabrics, leaky covers (I'm just quoting from a pamphlet I got at a local cloth diapering store)
You might want to try this treatment method to see if you can salvage the covers. I tried it on a few Bummis covers, and it seemed to have improved their water-proofness (is that a word?).
"Repeat the following process twice: 1. Run your covers and diapers twice through a wash with only hot water (if allowed by manufacturer's washing instructions). 2. Run a second wash using 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar. 3. Use another 1/2 cup vinegar in the first rinse cycle of the second wash. 4. Run a second rinse cycle with plain hot water. 5. Dry covers in dryer."
They have a website that might have more info for troubleshooting. Look under "resources" at www.extraordinarybabyshoppe.com
- Valentines Bambino Mio Giveaway Winners...
- › OB appointment today! :) 5 minutes ago
- › Now guns & vaccines?! 8 minutes ago
- › 15, pregnant, and need advice! 10 minutes ago
- › My 13 year son hit with baseball bat 13 minutes ago
- › Food for Frozen party? 16 minutes ago
- › Any morning sickness-ers left? 24 minutes ago
- › I was just imagining... 28 minutes ago
- › ~*~The TTC ONE Thread~*~April 2014 29 minutes ago
- › It's Messy. I'm open to suggestions. But nice ones, please... 31 minutes ago
- › Facebook group ? 40 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Birth of River by Kristen Tea
- › The Never Agains by BrainChild
- › Day in the Life: A Graphical Representation by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Operation Meditation by Brian Leaf
- › Turning Five by Sheryl Paul
- › WellFuture WellBelly April 2014 Giveaway by JenniO11
- › 30 Hilarious and Inspiring Parenting Quotes... by Melanie Mayo
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Melanie Mayo
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding My Tribe After the Death of My Daughter by Melanie Mayo