I have an older cover from Bummis,like maybe an older style,it 's blue and has stars on it and a mesh like inside. it leaks a lot!he's wearing a nice thick fitted diaper and he's soaked through all ready to the cover,it's only been an hour. so do covers lose ability to prevent leaks or be water proof?
Mothering Top Picks
- categoryCloth Diaperstagged by System, 1/7/11
Related Forum Threads
- cloth diapering Last post on 9/11/13 at 11:26am in June 2013 Due Date Club
- loving CD execpt for night time leaks Last post on 7/6/13 at 7:43pm in Life With a Baby
- What would you recommend to a mom CD'ing for the first time? Last post on 9/14/13 at 4:14am in October 2013 Due Date Club
- Typical Life Span of a Cloth Diaper Last post on 4/28/13 at 3:05pm in Diapering
- diaper stash Last post on 5/1/13 at 5:52am in October 2013 Due Date Club
Mothering Article Convinces Mom to Switch to Cloth Diapers
Last edited: 10/18/12
- Valentines Bambino Mio Giveaway Winners...Last edited: 2/25/13
- Planning a 2012 Great Cloth Diaper Change EventLast edited: 11/10/12
- Getting Started With Cloth DiapersLast edited: 3/18/13
- Diapering ResourcesLast edited: 4/3/13
do covers lose ability to hold leaks?post #1 of 512/22/10 at 3:22pmThread Starterpost #2 of 512/24/10 at 8:42ampost #3 of 51/1/11 at 5:22pmpost #4 of 51/2/11 at 11:19am
If it has mesh inside, it might be a Bummis Original or Bummis cotton. They're not really meant to go over a fitted; they're meant to be for prefolds or flats.
Or is it like this one here?
(which I understand is more or less the same thing as the Bummis original/cotton cover)post #5 of 51/3/11 at 12:44pm
YES, it's possible! And yes, it's highly annoying.
And I had the same issues with the same covers (Bummis, mesh on the inside, pretty pattern on the outside). It lasted through one baby, just barely, and now I've got Mother-Ease covers and have yet to have a leak (even though I bought them used).
The problem might be the covers themselves, OR if might be a detergent residue issue. Do your diapers also have these "symptoms"?: smelly diapers or covers, repelling of liquids, skin irritation, yellowing of white fabrics, leaky covers (I'm just quoting from a pamphlet I got at a local cloth diapering store)
You might want to try this treatment method to see if you can salvage the covers. I tried it on a few Bummis covers, and it seemed to have improved their water-proofness (is that a word?).
"Repeat the following process twice: 1. Run your covers and diapers twice through a wash with only hot water (if allowed by manufacturer's washing instructions). 2. Run a second wash using 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar. 3. Use another 1/2 cup vinegar in the first rinse cycle of the second wash. 4. Run a second rinse cycle with plain hot water. 5. Dry covers in dryer."
They have a website that might have more info for troubleshooting. Look under "resources" at www.extraordinarybabyshoppe.com
- Valentines Bambino Mio Giveaway Winners...
- › A New Year of Dedicated Home Yoga Practice: 2014 15 seconds ago
- › Single Mamas By Choice 3 minutes ago
- › Please help! Oppositional defiance disorder and homeschooling 4 minutes ago
- › Support for moms who are done breastfeeding, but their babies aren't 4 minutes ago
- › Raising an extrovert when you're an introvert. (responses very much... 5 minutes ago
- › EBF 6 mo old-- my milk is drying up!! 8 minutes ago
- › should I be taking a vitamin/supplement? 10 minutes ago
- › 3.9 y/o Awake at 2 every night, normal? 12 minutes ago
- › ~~~~2013 Low Income Support Thread~~~~ 16 minutes ago
- › Please explain to me why.. 16 minutes ago
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Polar Express by Alyssa Eisner
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Marcy Axness
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Melanie Mayo