I have an older cover from Bummis,like maybe an older style,it 's blue and has stars on it and a mesh like inside. it leaks a lot!he's wearing a nice thick fitted diaper and he's soaked through all ready to the cover,it's only been an hour. so do covers lose ability to prevent leaks or be water proof?
Mothering Top Picks
- categoryCloth Diapers
Related Forum Threads
- Typical Life Span of a Cloth Diaper Last post on 4/28/13 at 3:05pm in Diapering
- diaper stash Last post on 5/1/13 at 5:52am in October 2013 Due Date Club
- Weehuggers cover, cute prints Last post on 5/16/12 at 11:39am in Diapers & Diapering Supplies
- SOLD Last post on 5/2/12 at 3:21pm in Diapers & Diapering Supplies
- Sm covers & Med Diapers Last post on 4/13/12 at 1:40pm in Diapers & Diapering Supplies
Mothering Article Convinces Mom to Switch to Cloth Diapers
Edited on 10/18/12
- Valentines Bambino Mio Giveaway Winners...Edited on 2/25/13
- Planning a 2012 Great Cloth Diaper Change EventEdited on 11/10/12
- Getting Started With Cloth DiapersEdited on 3/18/13
- Diapering ResourcesEdited on 4/3/13
do covers lose ability to hold leaks?post #1 of 512/22/10 at 3:22pmThread Starterpost #2 of 512/24/10 at 8:42ampost #3 of 51/1/11 at 5:22pm
I used bummies covers when I first started cloth diapering nearly 2 years ago. They never held up past a few months. They soaked through as though they were just cotton! My thirsties covers are still going strong...post #4 of 51/2/11 at 11:19am
If it has mesh inside, it might be a Bummis Original or Bummis cotton. They're not really meant to go over a fitted; they're meant to be for prefolds or flats.
Or is it like this one here?
(which I understand is more or less the same thing as the Bummis original/cotton cover)post #5 of 51/3/11 at 12:44pm
YES, it's possible! And yes, it's highly annoying.
And I had the same issues with the same covers (Bummis, mesh on the inside, pretty pattern on the outside). It lasted through one baby, just barely, and now I've got Mother-Ease covers and have yet to have a leak (even though I bought them used).
The problem might be the covers themselves, OR if might be a detergent residue issue. Do your diapers also have these "symptoms"?: smelly diapers or covers, repelling of liquids, skin irritation, yellowing of white fabrics, leaky covers (I'm just quoting from a pamphlet I got at a local cloth diapering store)
You might want to try this treatment method to see if you can salvage the covers. I tried it on a few Bummis covers, and it seemed to have improved their water-proofness (is that a word?).
"Repeat the following process twice: 1. Run your covers and diapers twice through a wash with only hot water (if allowed by manufacturer's washing instructions). 2. Run a second wash using 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup vinegar. 3. Use another 1/2 cup vinegar in the first rinse cycle of the second wash. 4. Run a second rinse cycle with plain hot water. 5. Dry covers in dryer."
They have a website that might have more info for troubleshooting. Look under "resources" at www.extraordinarybabyshoppe.com
- do covers lose ability to hold leaks?
- Valentines Bambino Mio Giveaway Winners...
- › Starting solids 12 minutes ago
- › Spokane midwife 38 minutes ago
- › How are you feeling? 46 minutes ago
- › How to get your child to break away without breaking his/her heart? 52 minutes ago
- › 10-15 Minute Cleaning Sessions (New Thread) 55 minutes ago
- › Trilingual - questions about how and choosing the third language 59 minutes ago
- › Our third baby - accidental UC! 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › How to cover the "basics" 1 hour, 11 minutes ago
- › am i preg? 1 hour, 12 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC-Flower Moon 1 hour, 15 minutes ago
- › Skip Hop Treetop Friends Activity Gym by Otepbunni
- › Medela Pump in Style Advanced Breast Pump with Shoulder Bag by matope
- › Philips AVENT ISIS Manual Breast Pump, White by matope
- › Bebe Au Lait Nursing Cover by matope
- › Lansinoh Lanolin for Breastfeeding Mothers 2 oz (56 g) by matope
- › Philips AVENT Washable Nursing Pads, 6 Count by matope
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by matope
- › TRADITIONAL MEDICINALS TEAS Mother's Milk Tea 16 bags by matope
- › Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow by matope
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by matope
- › Pause for Presence: A Personal Reflection by Marcy Axness
- › Ina May Gaskin Reviews Groundbreaking Book,... by Melanie Mayo
- › Why We Homeschool by Melanie Mayo
- › A Mama's Peace by AmandaK
- › 7 Simple Recipes to Bless a New Mom by Melanie Mayo
- › Closing Up Shop: Life After Vasectomy by Melanie Mayo
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo