I agree that having someone with you would help. I just told my OB my concerns and what I wanted. She was very understanding about it. My other c/s were unplanned so the doctors did not listen to me as well. I think with a planned c/s the OB might be better at listening to concerns/requests. Some of it is up to the nurses. I remember with DS and DD they kept asking if I wanted them to take the baby so I could rest. I just said no thank you we were fine. My mom stayed with me my first day/night in the hospital and told the nurses the same thing. Having someone with you is very helpful!
Anyone know they are having a c-section? - Page 3
What about hiring a doula? You may even be able to find someone who could attend appointments with you, and help you discuss the issues with your doctor, or at least act as a witness to the conversation, and then help you figure out if what you agreed to is what you really want, and strategies to change how you approach bringing it up again to get what you really want.
I would also suggest having in hand research that shows that what you want is best for the baby. Baby + mom = less distressed baby, less distressed mom, more breastmilk etc. A good place to start is with Dr. Nils Bergman at kangaroomothercare.com
Most OBs mean well, but do not have the time to find research that would help to improve their practice, and they often really, really love what they do and focus on that: surgery. Making sure your OB is a good surgeon is of course also very important! Especially if you are planning a Cesarean birth (scheduled or not), find out if you can about what other people are saying about your OBs surgical skills. You will have less risk of complications (baby getting cut, future uterine problems for you, incision infection) if the person who is doing your surgery is good at what they do.
During the birth, a doula can help you to make sure your baby is taken care of in the most natural way possible. This would include:
1. Delay cord clamping and cord amputation until cord has stopped pulsing. About 50% of the baby's blood is in the placenta at birth. Cutting the cord early means the baby does not get all her blood, and will have more difficulty breathing, be more prone to jaundice, anemia, infections etc. Wonderful article here that you can bring in to your OB. Quite a technical read, but I highly recommend it for EVERYONE, vaginal birth or Cesearean. Have the OB lay the baby on your legs while waiting for the cord to stop pulsing. This will put the baby and the placenta at the same level, so blood is not draining into the baby too fast or back into the placenta. If baby is 'flat' or not breathing when born, make sure the OB knows that you do not want the cord cut--get him to hold the placenta above the baby as a natural 'IV' line to infuse the baby with her own blood. The doula will be especially important to remind the team of your wishes, as this will not be their usual way of doing things. The worst thing a doctor can do if a baby is in distress (not breathing, limp) at birth is to cut the cord before it stops pulsing. The cord usually stops pulsing after 1.5 to 3 minutes.
2. Have the baby brought immediately to your chest (skin-to-skin is best). Keep the baby with you at all times. The initial few hours of bonding with mom is very, very important for both maternal and newborn health. If you do not hold your baby and keep him with you right away, your body interprets that to mean that your baby has died, which can lead to an increased risk of postpartum depression for you, lack of breastmilk, difficulty bonding etc. Holding your baby skin-to-skin and chest-to-chest increases your oxytocin levels, which is the 'love hormone' that facilitates bonding and breastmilk production, and this is especially important in a Cesearean as you will not have the same levels of oxytocin from the birth as a mother/baby dyad who have just been through a vaginal (particularly unmedicated, uninduced/augmented) birth. If you feel too weak to hold the baby, have your doula or the baby's father (or both taking turns) hold the baby on your chest for you.
3. Do not let anyone feed your baby formula. Keep the baby with you, in your room, at all times.Have another person stay with you in your room while you are sleeping, to make sure the baby stays with you. I recently heard from a mom whose Cesarean-birthed son died in the hospital after the nurses took him away so she could get some sleep (she did not want them to, she felt like there was something wrong and she wanted him with her). This is the worst case scenario, but especially in compromised babies, staying with the mom at all times is very important (see the Kangaroo Care website).
4. Try biological nurturing to help facilitate breastfeeding initiation.
Remember that hospital policy is for the convenience of the hospital. You are the customer, however. You (or your insurance) is paying the hospital to perform a Cesarean. Remind them of this. And that you can take your business elsewhere to a place that is more accommodating of your wishes. Ask them what their concerns are. If they have health concerns, remind them that you have health concerns too, and that this is your baby, not theirs. See if you can still get what you want while meeting them where they are at with their health concerns. Bring the evidence to prove your point. Tell them you will inform the media of how you are being treated, if needed, and if you actually don't have any other hospital options.
You may also want to hire a postpartum doula, to help you around the house and (and for those who have other children, to help with your other children) after the surgery, so that you have time to heal and bond with your new baby. Cesarean recovery is 6-8 weeks, and if you do too much, the risk of infection increases.
Hi all! I haven't been on here for a long while. I unfortunately lost my first pregnancy in April 2010 and had an abdominal cerclage placed to prevent future losses. From ow on, I'll have to have a c-section and won't be able to go into labor (so it will be scheduled right at 39 weeks). Huge switch from wanting to go completely natural with the one that we lost to requiring a c-section, but we'll do whatever it takes to get a living baby home!
I've been doing a ton of research on the family-centered/family-friendly/humanized c-sections. I haven't brought it up to my OB yet but was wondering if anyone had advice on how to broach this subject. I know that this type of c-section is still really pretty rare and it's something that's *really* important to me. I don't have the option of switching OBs at this point - there are only two high-risk groups in where I live and I'm on my second team already (the first team I saw with our loss and I'm not entirely confident in them). I'm terrible at being forceful or being firm in what I want. I have a tendency to say what I want, be told something else, and then immediately back down. Help with a script please??
Its been awhile since ive been back on this csection thread.... I think I may be joining it this time!
I had an unplanned csection with DS after 31 hours of contractions 2 minutes apart (I was induced), This time around my Dr was very pro VBAC as long as I go into labor on my own but at my most recent appointment he said that we can still try for a natural birth but that it might be in the babies and my best interest to have another csection. Of course, I will do whatever my Dr suggests, I trust him completely.
So we ha vent decided anything yet but I have a feeling within the next month we'll agree to a scheduled csection..
Id love to hear about any plans that you have to help increase your milk prior to the csection and also how you are dealing with knowing you're having a csection?
We're pretty crunchy as a family and I know that for me the babies safety and health was what was most important to me, that's why we're using a Dr and a hospital birth, but I cant help but think that some of my crunchy friends will look down on the decision we make.. if we make it.
This is just my own opinion, so take it for what it's worth. In the end you have to decide what feels right for you. Having said that... and having given birth both naturally and via c-section, if I was in any way given the chance again for a vbac, I would definately take the opportunity. Provided the pregnancy is going well, and that you feel comfortable in that decision. With my last two babies (both c-sec) I had grand plans for homebirths - we were using midwives both times. With DS I started labouring at home and it was all fine and good until I failed to progress and he got stuck. So off we went to the hosp. for c-sec. He was a BIG baby - so it's no wonder he wouldn't come out like he should! With DD, we again hoped for a homebirth, as the midwives were supportive of vbac, but then I developed gestational diabetes during the pregnancy, that was managed with insulin, etc., but the clincher was that DD was transverse and remained that way the entire time! So... no hope of delivering vaginally. With this current pregnancy, I was told right from the start that a vbac is out of the question - only because of the incision they had to do on my uterus with DS. The risk of uterine rupture this time is just way too high.
So again, if your Dr. is saying you have the option of a vbac, I would seriously consider taking that option if there are none to very low risks for you and baby. It is just a gentler, more natural way to enter the world...
Not that your Dr. is one of these, but 'some' Dr's will suggest a c-sec. because it is more convenient for them. Trust in your Dr. is a good thing. BUT trust in your own body and instincts is what I would base the decision on.
That's just my two cents!
matyja, Thanks for you sharing your experience :) im going to talk to him more about it at our next appointment and find out exactly why the decision to try for a VBAC has changed... but if we're going on my instincs, my instinct is that whether or not I chose to have one, ill most likely be having a csection. I have very bad white coat hypertension that I cant control when im in the hospital and its dangerous for me and the baby. I also have an autoimmune disease that is very very active in my hips and pelvis. My rheumatoligist did say that a natural birth could cause a lot more problems or none at all.
In the end im going to pick what's best and safest for the baby even if that means less natural
ps... I owe you a message, its coming tonight! ;)