My mom always monitored what I read. It wasn't a problem until lower school!
- categoryEducation Books
Related Forum Threads
- Great books for summer reading? Last post on Yesterday at 4:22 pm in Books, Music and Other Media
- March 2013 Book Challenge Last post on 4/5/13 at 12:31pm in Books, Music and Other Media
- February 2013 Book Challenge Last post on 3/2/13 at 4:57pm in Books, Music and Other Media
- (Almost) no children's books about breastfeeding? Last post on 3/22/11 at 11:55am in Breastfeeding
- the time traveler's wife Last post on 4/15/11 at 6:04am in Book Clubs
Five Tips for Helping Tweens (Re)Discover Pleasure Reading
Edited on 4/18/13
- Books For Early Advanced ReadersEdited on 4/8/12
- Books For Early Advanced Readers
S/O Why do parents regulate what their kids take out of the library? Do you? - Page 7
My kids are pretty good with choosing their own books without my help, but I would provide guidance if they chose a book at the wrong comprehension level or with inappropriate content (although the chances of that are pretty slim since the children's section is divided into comprehension levels corresponding to the comprehension levels from the schools exams). If I do voice my opinion, it's usually to suggest my SD read a book to help her with problems I'm having trouble helping her with (language barrier mostly)--she's a pre-teen, gah!
Nope, DS10 is free to check out what ever he wants. I think the library cards have a limit of 35 or 50 items depending on which library system we are at. He can read whatever he chooses. Right now he wants 'thick' chapter books and is on the cusp of YA fiction. Don't worry, he still loves Eric Carle and Dr. Seuss too along with adult non fiction!
This child can easily read 500 pages a day. I dont censor.
My 9 yer old, I let him take out what he wants. I cringe sometimes, because he has recently taken out all sorts of children's books about WWI and WWII. It just makes me a bit nervous, but I've looked at them and they are non-fiction and informational, and as much as I'd love to stop him from learning about war, it's his interest. sigh.
My 11 year old, I can have no issues with. He take out what he wants and is very responsible with his books. He doesn't usually take out more than he can read in two weeks, and if he does, he makes sure to reniew it on line.
- S/O Why do parents regulate what their kids take out of the library? Do you?
- › twins having a difficult time playing alone 5 minutes ago
- › Teaching problem solving and deeper thinking... 45 minutes ago
- › Roll Call! 49 minutes ago
- › Relocating to So Cal, need suggestions on place to live commutable... 52 minutes ago
- › Is it too soon for a name thread? 59 minutes ago
- › ~Weekly Chat Thread for May 17th-May 23~ 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › How old are everyone's twins/multiples? 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › Wanting to start using cloth wipes 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › May 2013 Chat Thread 1 hour, 14 minutes ago
- › May the road rise up to meet you, Dingoes everywhere! 1 hour, 17 minutes ago
- › Lansinoh 20265 Disposable Nursing Pads, 60-pack by KaliShanti
- › Boppy Nursing Pillow with Slipcover by earobb
- › Medela Nightime Nursing Sleep Bra by earobb
- › Motherhood Wireless Full Coverage Nursing Bra by earobb
- › NUK Ultra Thin Nursing Pads, 60 Pack by earobb
- › The First Years Breastflow BPA Free Bottle, 5 Ounce by KaliShanti
- › Simple Wishes Hands-Free Breastpump Bra, XS/S/M by KaliShanti
- › Seal N Go Breast Milk Freezer Disposable Liners - 25 / Pack by KaliShanti
- › Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags by KaliShanti
- › Lansinoh 20435 Breastmilk Storage Bags, 25-Count Boxes (Pack of 3) by KaliShanti
- › My Heart Growing Fonder by Melanie Mayo
- › Happy Simple Baby Love by Melanie Mayo
- › Buying Pot for my 11-Year-Old by momofnatasha
- › Making the Grade by Melanie Mayo
- › Homeopathy -- A Lifesaver For Your Summer... by Melanie Mayo
- › Relax. Parenting Is Supposed to Be Messy,... by Brian Leaf
- › Managing Mom Stress: Sharing Tips and Trying... by Melanie Mayo
- › Who Wants to Sleep Alone? by Cynthia Mosher
- › Should I Train My Child....Like a Dog?! by Sarah Clark
- › Mothering Articles by Melanie Mayo