or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Fertility › Infertility › What kind of progesterone do you prefer???????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What kind of progesterone do you prefer??????? - Page 2

post #21 of 61

Hello!  I found this thread and hope I can crash.  I'm currently pregnant with my second and I'm on progesterone shots (weekly, given at the ob's office) to prevent premature labor.  My son was early and I started to have problems in week 35 with him (ie early labor signs).  So, they want me to get shots of progesterone.  I don't want to hurt my baby's chances of going to term, but MAN the side effects for me are rough!  Have any of you noticed side effects?  Maybe it is my imagination?  The OB has not been very helpful and writes them all off, but I am definitely very morning sick, severe headaches, tired all the time.  Have any of you experienced any of those side effects?

 

Again, sorry for crashing your thread, but I am stuck on where to find answers from real women who have been through this.  Thank you!

post #22 of 61
Thread Starter 

aleatha5 - "Crash" away!!!  The more the merrier!!  I don't really have an answer for you, but hopefully someone else will.  I've only taken progesterone after our 1st IVF (PIO) and stopped at around 7-8 wks when we found out we were going to M/C.  So are your progesterone levels low is that why your dr wants you on shots to help keep this pregnancy as long as possible?  This interest me b/c we lost twins at 22.5 wks and I'm always wondering what we could do to get farther than that the next time.  Hope someone can help and that you find your answers.  How far along are you now?

post #23 of 61

I currently have a client who is in need of progesterone.. her insurance doesnt cover it and I told her I would check. As an IVF momma myself I know that I had extra ... so here's hoping I dont get deleted and that the right person reads this and contacts me. She's willing to pay for it and shipping... obviously this is time sensitive- and not trying to offend anyone.. just getting desperate not being able to write her a prescription

post #24 of 61

Hi

 

There is my story...

I have strange spotting between O and m. We gonna do IUI this month so beside clomid my doc gave me prescription for crinone 8% 15,,,I didn't get that right away and when my DH got to the pharmacy he found out it would be $193 (my insurance doesnt cover)...It was saturday, so I left voice mail to my re and did some researches online,,,I found out that you could by it in Canada or UK pharmacys for half price, but it wouldnt get here on time,,,the I google more and found msg boards where infertility friends sell unused drugs; got two months suply very inexpensive,,,on Monday my nurse called and left the msg that they acually could order the same dosage generic medication for about 1$ each plus shipping, some pharmacys makes them!!! I am upset with my RE now cause he knew my insurance doesn't cover it and still gave me prescription for most expensive version of progesteron,,, 

 

Now, with the crinone - should i use it before I go sleep?...Should I keep tampon in during the day to avoid leaking? Am so afraid,,,Plus other side effects I read about,,,

post #25 of 61
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lega View Post

Hi

 

There is my story...

I have strange spotting between O and m. We gonna do IUI this month so beside clomid my doc gave me prescription for crinone 8% 15,,,I didn't get that right away and when my DH got to the pharmacy he found out it would be $193 (my insurance doesnt cover)...It was saturday, so I left voice mail to my re and did some researches online,,,I found out that you could by it in Canada or UK pharmacys for half price, but it wouldnt get here on time,,,the I google more and found msg boards where infertility friends sell unused drugs; got two months suply very inexpensive,,,on Monday my nurse called and left the msg that they acually could order the same dosage generic medication for about 1$ each plus shipping, some pharmacys makes them!!! I am upset with my RE now cause he knew my insurance doesn't cover it and still gave me prescription for most expensive version of progesteron,,, 

 

Now, with the crinone - should i use it before I go sleep?...Should I keep tampon in during the day to avoid leaking? Am so afraid,,,Plus other side effects I read about,,,


 

I would ask your Dr when he wants you to use them... some Drs want them to be used twice a day so I'd for sure check with your nurse!!!! I would NOT use a tampon b/c then the progesterone will just absorb into the tampon and not your body.  I also had been told like 3 yrs ago to stop using tampons all together when are TTC.... that was by an acupuncturist.   Also, usually Drs don't know what is covered under your insurance plan when they give you a script.  Everyone's plan is different so they will just give you a script for what they recommend and then I would normally call my insurance to see if it will be covered or ask the pharmacy to check before they fill it and let me know.  Good luck to you!

post #26 of 61

blueyezz, I don't know if my progesterone is low, they never tested it.  But they did say that preterm labor is caused by a drop in progesterone, so by getting the weekly shots I am supposedly keeping my progesterone at a high enough level that I won't go into early labor.  It definitely sounds like if you went into labor at 22.5 weeks, this could help you.  The shots are $50 with my insurance and I get one a week until week 36 and they have been shown to be very effective at preventing labor until after 37 weeks -- I'm really hoping I make it to 37 weeks!  But, for me, the side effects are horrible, the headaches, the nausea, the tiredness!  Ugh, but it will be worth it to have a full term baby.  

post #27 of 61
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleatha5 View Post

blueyezz, I don't know if my progesterone is low, they never tested it.  But they did say that preterm labor is caused by a drop in progesterone, so by getting the weekly shots I am supposedly keeping my progesterone at a high enough level that I won't go into early labor.  It definitely sounds like if you went into labor at 22.5 weeks, this could help you.  The shots are $50 with my insurance and I get one a week until week 36 and they have been shown to be very effective at preventing labor until after 37 weeks -- I'm really hoping I make it to 37 weeks!  But, for me, the side effects are horrible, the headaches, the nausea, the tiredness!  Ugh, but it will be worth it to have a full term baby.  


Interesting and thanks so much for sharing this info.  I just hope i can put all of it together and put it to good use one day!  So these shots can't be given at home?  I know when we just did our last IVF my DH was giving me shots of Progesterone in oil one a day in the butt.  Are yours also in the butt?  Maybe your insurance wouldn't pay if you were doing it at home, i don't know.  How far along are you now????  Fingers crossed for you to make if even farther than 37 wks!! Take care!

post #28 of 61

 

Hello! I am on Prometrium - started last Sunday (7 days ago). The scrip is for one pill (200 mg) orally from ovulation until I either get a BFP or AF. So far the only side effect I have experienced has been extreme tiredness and dizziness about 20 minutes after I take the pill. It lasts for about 25 minutes and then I'm fine. I have heard that other people experience pregnancy like symptoms and I have had none of that. The scrip cost me $78 out of pocket for 20 pills.

post #29 of 61



You can take those same pills and use them vaginally. They will still be absorbed but w/out the yucky side effects (and avoid the liver). I had the same effects using Prometrium. I read here on MDC about using them vaginally and tried it...worked well for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleEricJenn View Post

 

Hello! I am on Prometrium - started last Sunday (7 days ago). The scrip is for one pill (200 mg) orally from ovulation until I either get a BFP or AF. So far the only side effect I have experienced has been extreme tiredness and dizziness about 20 minutes after I take the pill. It lasts for about 25 minutes and then I'm fine. I have heard that other people experience pregnancy like symptoms and I have had none of that. The scrip cost me $78 out of pocket for 20 pills.

post #30 of 61

Hi. I'm really new to this site so I'm crashing as well. I hope that's ok! Treehugginhippie (love the name!), I had no idea I could take the prometrium vaginally. I just finished a round (just got the news that my beta test was negative-this is so frustrating and stressful-not to mention expensive! I just spent more than 1200 on one IUI round because it's not covered by my insurance! Two more rounds before IVF) Anyway, I had bad side effects on Prometrium (orally 100mg twice a day). I was constantly tired and dizzy. I also had a difficult time focusing (haha but then again, don't we all? Infertility is taking over my life!). The worst, though, are the mood swings and crankiness. I'm looking forward to it washing out of my system while I prepare for the next round.

 

Just a couple of questions...if you use it vaginally, how far up do you have to insert it? And how long before it is absorbed?

 

Thank you!

post #31 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by renavoo View Post

Just a couple of questions...if you use it vaginally, how far up do you have to insert it? And how long before it is absorbed?

 

Thank you!


I just put it up as far as I could reach and put it in at night. Not sure how long it takes to be absorbed though. I couldn't handle the dizzyness (plus I had a toddler in the home) so I had to do something else, lol!
 

post #32 of 61

Renavoo and Treehugginhippie (both cute names!!) I may try the Progesterone vaginally on the next round too and at nigth before bed. I really have not had horrible side affects other than the brief dizzy/tired spell after I take it - doesn't last long. (I always take in the morning with breakfast - bad idea!)

 

I do seem to be more down in the dumps but I'm wondering if that is just because I'm anticipating and overthinking. A friend of  mine at work is dealing with getting her AF back on track after her baby was born and her doc prescribed progesterone. She told me it makes her extremely happy - what a nice side effect! Anyway, that is NOT happening for me.

 

I also think I might try yams in the two weeks prior to OV next time. I have heard that it acts very similar to Clomid and may also help to boost progesterone levels. I'm also taking a B6 vitamin which is supposed to help as well.

 

Thanks to both of you!

post #33 of 61

Hey LittleEricJenn! I think we should start the movement from vaginal progesterone. haha. I had to take it twice a day so I was forced to take it in the morning. I seriously got into the biggest argument with my hubby a couple of days ago about the silliest thing and I feel like, in part, it was because of how I felt on the progesterone. I've been off for a full day now and my head just feels clearer. I will definitely try vaginally next month. Although, if somehow i could flip the switch and be extremely happy, that would be nice too. haha.

 

The funny thing is that I was constantly asking my doctor if maybe I should get progesterone because I had some really short luteal phases and signs of estrogen dominance (perhaps this was all in my head-all this research we do!). I was so happy when she finally gave it to me. I guess this is a lesson in being careful of what you wish for!

 

I take B6 too. I also had extremely long cycles and started taking vitamin D, which helped shorten the first phase. But then I found I had a slight LPD deficiency so i started taking B6. I take 5 pills of assorted vitamins a day (along with the prenatal.) Seriously, I feel like a pharmacy!

 

:o)

 

Have a great day, ladies! and as they say...Baby dust to everyone!

 

post #34 of 61

Ha! Great post - I totally agree! I am definitely more cranky too. Can't wait until next month so I can start over again.  (although I wish that weren't the case but I just have a feeling I'm not PG this time around) I also take Vitamin D! Sounds like we are pretty similar. In addition I take Vitamin E and a multi. I was taking Omega 3 but ran out. Need to get back to Trader Joes for more.

 

I'll keep checking back at this post to check in with you. Would love to see how things are progressing on your end. Take care and good luck!

 

post #35 of 61

Thanks, little EricJenn! I hope you're wrong and you are pregnant!! Good luck!

post #36 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleEricJenn View Post

 

I do seem to be more down in the dumps but I'm wondering if that is just because I'm anticipating and overthinking. A friend of  mine at work is dealing with getting her AF back on track after her baby was born and her doc prescribed progesterone. She told me it makes her extremely happy - what a nice side effect! Anyway, that is NOT happening for me.

 


When I tried clomid very first time, I was "high" for couple weeks! It was such a funny feeling
 

post #37 of 61

I just started clomid yesterday. I'm hoping for the high! haha but I don't feel anything. Which is good, I guess, since that means I'm tolerating the drug well!

post #38 of 61

Hello All. Love this thread. I am barely 3 days on MDC. I have been married for 5 years and been TTC#1. My major Headache is my cycle,I could go 6 months without menstrating (Not making me feel feminine at all) Recently i did a comprehensive test and the Doctor told me , I have Imbalanced Hormones and its called Pre-mature menopause(Not my portion though IJN). DH(Think am learning fast...) was so worried,(DH is in his mid 40s and we crave and pray to God all day for Covenant Children) I cried my life out and while i was searching and praying to God for solution, I stumbled on this site (Feel homely and learning real fast here). I never knew anything about RE (poor us..) until I put up a write up on MDC and got 2 relieved responses almost immediately, BRICHOLE 1214 advised i see an RE, I googled immediately and got one in my area (Berlin,Germany). I have an appointment with her on Tuesday.Thank you Brichole,U are an Angel.

 

Now my question is what should i expect? Or do you know of any drug to bring back my menstration and increase my hormones??? Any possiblity of getting pregnate without menstartion?(with God all things are possible...lol) How long can these treatment take to conceive?I am presently using Parsley Infusion as an home remedy (got details on google and started just Yesterday)

 

Wld love to hear living testimonies/suggestions please.Thank you,love you all

post #39 of 61

I just started using the Crinone 8%. My new RE has me taking it from CD21 till CD30. I am supposed to POAS on day 30 and if pregnant go get a beta. If not I am to stop the Crinone and allow my cycle to return. SHe was able to give me 8 boxes of samples. Each box contains 2 doses. I take it once in the morning. That is enough to get me through CD30 and beyond a week. Yeah! One thing I just found out though, my pharmacy said that they got notification that the manufacturer has discontinued producing the Crinone 8% all together. Has anyone else heard of this? I am going to call my RE in the morning and ask about this.

post #40 of 61

Hi Ceccy,

Welcome! I'm new to MDC as well but I've found people here so nice and welcoming!

I think it all depends on what the RE finds as your major issue. The premature menopause must be scary but keep your faith. I have heard of stories where people have not bled and have given birth (my mother in law said she was one of them) but i think those are usually pretty rare, especially if you're not bleeding for 6 months at a time! But if there is a hormonal imbalance, the RE may be able to give you different drugs. After stopping oral contraceptives, I used to go for 6-8 weeks before I got a period. This was happening for about a year. After that, I went to see a RE and she prescribed clomiphene (clomid) to help me induce ovulation. I've only been on the cycle once (I'm on the second cycle now) but last month, my cycle was literally 28 days. I know some of the other ladies also received injectible treatments, mostly hormones, and they report success as well. I think the most important thing is to stay positive. Remember, stress can prevent ovulation!

 

Otherwise, are you taking your vitamins? People say that taking prenatal vitamins early on can also help with conception-I think many of us (myself definitely included) are deficient in a lot of important vitamins. In fact, I take additionally B6, vit D and C in addition to my prenatal vitamins. I take like 6 pills a day and it's rather crazy (if a little amusing) to put them out everyday and know that I'm going to be swallowing them. In fact, with my clomid now, I'm actually going to be taking 8 pills a day! geez.

 

Anyway, good luck Ceccy!!! I hope you find some peace on your appointment tomorrow!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Infertility
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Fertility › Infertility › What kind of progesterone do you prefer???????