or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2011 › First Time Mamas' Chat **January**
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Time Mamas' Chat **January** - Page 3

post #41 of 105

Mommel-- Glad you found someone to work with you.  It feel so much better when all of your ducks are lined up, doesn't it?

 

Maurine--I had an ultrasound done at almost exactly 11w too and my baby looked so different!!!  It's so weird because I just think, how different could they actually look?  Yours looks cute and chubby, mine looks like a scrawny chicken, haha.  I'll post a pic when I get home from work to compare. 

post #42 of 105

Aw, baby pic! I had mine last week and yes! They make everything okay again.

I was 8 weeks when I miscarried so that was my benchmark I had to pass to feel okay. And I did and then got to see the baby and yay!

 

I'm feeling so much better lately! The nausea is rare, and I wouldn't even quite call it that, it's totally a blood sugar thing, cured quickly and easily. I'm not so tired. I don't have to pee all the time either!

If I didn't have the fat in the way, I'd totally be showing now, I can feel the curve! :D I'm 10 wks, 3 days and life is okay again!

post #43 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by yell View Post

 

Maurine--I had an ultrasound done at almost exactly 11w too and my baby looked so different!!!  It's so weird because I just think, how different could they actually look?  Yours looks cute and chubby, mine looks like a scrawny chicken, haha.  I'll post a pic when I get home from work to compare. 



I think maybe it's because soooo much is happening around week 10-11-12.  Different things for each baby.  At least, I hope that's why mine looks like such a chunker.  :)

post #44 of 105


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

Mommel - I am glad others feel the same way!  I've never lost one, but we had an awful scare at 6 weeks when they saw an empty sac.  I grieved just like it was over.  And then...surprise!

 

We saw the baby today!  It was kicking all around and it's heartbeat was 161.  So...I feel more reassured.  :)  Here's a pic!!  I am 11 weeks today.

 

11w_b_small.jpg


Awesome!!!

 

Bree

post #45 of 105

baby.jpg

 

 

My scrawny chicken!

post #46 of 105
Thread Starter 

Yaaayyyy! (**kermit the frog flailing arms**) Baby pictures!! I can barely wait for mine...

post #47 of 105

Mommel- SO glad you've found a great midwife!

 

And yay for all the baby photos!  I will hopefully get to hear the heartbeat on Monday at my CNM appointment.  As soon as I tell her I'm planning a homebirth I will be fired, so I don't know if I will hold out until I can get an ultrasound or not.  I'm okay with not having one unless the mw thinks it is needed, but DH thinks it will be a cool nostalgic thing to have, which is definitely true.

post #48 of 105

Yell - So cute!  Not scrawny at all.  :)

post #49 of 105

Oh! Oh! I wanna show mine :D

It's from 9wks, 2 d.. staring right atcha! :)

 

usun.jpg

post #50 of 105

All of these ultrasounds make me so so happy! I'm going in for another one tomorrow at 11w3d and I'm really excited to see how much the babe has grown since looking just like a kidney bean :)

post #51 of 105
Thread Starter 

A lot of midwives can refer you for an ultrasound that is WAY cheaper than what the hospital charges your insurance. I cancelled the one that was scheduled with my OB after I lost my insurance and that was going to cost me $357, but my midwife has told me that she can set me up with a lab that will do one for only $150, so be sure to ask her. Also, if you do have insurance, she may be able to bill your insurance directly. Mine does that too.

 

And for the record, I think it sucks that doctors and CNMs will so often not work with traditional midwives and your home birth options.

 

And also, I am still loving all these photos!!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat83 View Post

Mommel- SO glad you've found a great midwife!

 

And yay for all the baby photos!  I will hopefully get to hear the heartbeat on Monday at my CNM appointment.  As soon as I tell her I'm planning a homebirth I will be fired, so I don't know if I will hold out until I can get an ultrasound or not.  I'm okay with not having one unless the mw thinks it is needed, but DH thinks it will be a cool nostalgic thing to have, which is definitely true.

post #52 of 105

Things are a bit crazy in Kentucky.  It is technically illegal for someone to be a homebirth midwife because the state will not license them.  The midwives here have largely been left alone, but they know something could break at any moment if someone decides they want to make their lives hell.  We do have CNMs in the state, but our city is weirdly medically politicized, and there aren't any practicing CNMs in our city, so the one I see/saw was actually across the river in Indiana.  Good grief!

 

From what I'm told, the two CNMs at the practice where I had been going are probably very open to homebirth, but because of the situation they have to be careful about what they do and what they publicly support.  Sad, really.  I've also heard that they've had many occasions where people were using them for co-care without telling them, only to not get to deliver the baby at the end and not get paid for the delivery.  I'm not sure if that's the real issue or not, but that may be the issue for the OBs in the practice with them.  The hospital where those two CNMs deliver has a GREAT reputation for supporting natural birth, but the midwives tell me they really suck for homebirth transfer situations.  They don't want anything blurring the lines between the CNMs and the homebirth MWs.  Why do people have to make things so complicated?? The MWs also tell me that the local university hospital is the most accommodating to transfer situations, probably because they are used to dealing with anything and everything unusual that walks in the door, so they see a wider variety of stuff, and don't freak out as easily when things are their perceived norm.

 

From what the midwives tell me, it can be complicated when they have to refer you to get an ultrasound, but they can get it done.... I guess some places won't accept you, or will give you all kinds of grief while you are there.  I guess you have to wear ear plugs or just be able to let things go in one ear and out the other, lol! 
 

And now you know all about birth in Kentucky, lol!

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommel View Post

A lot of midwives can refer you for an ultrasound that is WAY cheaper than what the hospital charges your insurance. I cancelled the one that was scheduled with my OB after I lost my insurance and that was going to cost me $357, but my midwife has told me that she can set me up with a lab that will do one for only $150, so be sure to ask her. Also, if you do have insurance, she may be able to bill your insurance directly. Mine does that too.

 

And for the record, I think it sucks that doctors and CNMs will so often not work with traditional midwives and your home birth options.

 

And also, I am still loving all these photos!!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat83 View Post

Mommel- SO glad you've found a great midwife!

 

And yay for all the baby photos!  I will hopefully get to hear the heartbeat on Monday at my CNM appointment.  As soon as I tell her I'm planning a homebirth I will be fired, so I don't know if I will hold out until I can get an ultrasound or not.  I'm okay with not having one unless the mw thinks it is needed, but DH thinks it will be a cool nostalgic thing to have, which is definitely true.


 
post #53 of 105
Thread Starter 

Wow. Crazy is putting it mildly, eh? I never paid too much attention to these things when I lived in other states, and I feel incredibly lucky to be giving birth in Oregon. I think we've got to be one of the most MW friendly states ever. Please keep us posted on your journey! 

 

Raqui
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat83 View Post

Things are a bit crazy in Kentucky.  It is technically illegal for someone to be a homebirth midwife because the state will not license them.  The midwives here have largely been left alone, but they know something could break at any moment if someone decides they want to make their lives hell.  We do have CNMs in the state, but our city is weirdly medically politicized, and there aren't any practicing CNMs in our city, so the one I see/saw was actually across the river in Indiana.  Good grief!

 

From what I'm told, the two CNMs at the practice where I had been going are probably very open to homebirth, but because of the situation they have to be careful about what they do and what they publicly support.  Sad, really.  I've also heard that they've had many occasions where people were using them for co-care without telling them, only to not get to deliver the baby at the end and not get paid for the delivery.  I'm not sure if that's the real issue or not, but that may be the issue for the OBs in the practice with them.  The hospital where those two CNMs deliver has a GREAT reputation for supporting natural birth, but the midwives tell me they really suck for homebirth transfer situations.  They don't want anything blurring the lines between the CNMs and the homebirth MWs.  Why do people have to make things so complicated?? The MWs also tell me that the local university hospital is the most accommodating to transfer situations, probably because they are used to dealing with anything and everything unusual that walks in the door, so they see a wider variety of stuff, and don't freak out as easily when things are their perceived norm.

 

From what the midwives tell me, it can be complicated when they have to refer you to get an ultrasound, but they can get it done.... I guess some places won't accept you, or will give you all kinds of grief while you are there.  I guess you have to wear ear plugs or just be able to let things go in one ear and out the other, lol! 
 

And now you know all about birth in Kentucky, lol!

post #54 of 105
Thread Starter 

Where did everybody go? Bump!! bouncy.gif

post #55 of 105

Into SpaceOut land! You can't type, or think - just sit around looking dazed :) Wanna come??

post #56 of 105
Thread Starter 

Bwahahaha! I am SO already there... I just didn't know I wasn't alone. ROTFLMAO.gif
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckily View Post

Into SpaceOut land! You can't type, or think - just sit around looking dazed :) Wanna come??

post #57 of 105

I'm totally there. I think about the only time I'm fully snapped out of it is while I'm working and I still sometime daze out (my hands keep working but the mind shuts down!)

 

My friend just found out his baby is going to be a girl! His first child, his wife's second. Very exciting! Had I (well, and you too, Mommel!) lost in October, we'd be finding out right now! Kind of fun to be behind, though, and still get to have the mystery a bit :)

post #58 of 105
Thread Starter 

Beckily I think we're going to have to hunt down the other ladies or this is going to become a chat between just us. LOL

 

Alright, so here are a few check in questions to get us back into the swing...

 

Have you "come out" yet on Facebook?

Have you registered anywhere yet? If so, where and for what, etc.

What has been your most annoying first tri symptom?

What books are you reading (about pregnancy, childbirth or not)?

Are you birthing at hospital or home or have you decided yet, etc?

 

That should do it for now. Let's see if that works. **crosses fingers**

 

Raqui

post #59 of 105

I'm here!!!  Sorry -- I was visiting space out land!!! :)

 

Have you "come out" yet on Facebook?  Nope...really dying to tell people though.  But, I am only 8 weeks, almost 9.  We saw and heard the heartbeat via ultrasound and after that I've had the feeling everything will be fine.  So, i am inclined to tell...

Have you registered anywhere yet? If so, where and for what, etc.  Started a registry on amazon but haven't actually added anything. :)  Seems to early...like I'll jinx it.  It's also so overwhelming!

What has been your most annoying first tri symptom?  Nausea and RHINITIS!  I'm convinced I dont' have a cold but rather pregnancy rhinitis.  My new motto is, "I can't breathe, but at least I'm not puking!"

What books are you reading (about pregnancy, childbirth or not)? Mayo Guide, Working Woman's Guide.  I read Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy and The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy.  I think those two just scared me about labor more than anything...

Are you birthing at hospital or home or have you decided yet, etc?  Pretty sure at a hospital.  I would do a birthing center but the only one in CT is over an hour away.  Too far for my comfort. 

post #60 of 105

Have you "come out" yet on Facebook?

Yes! The first time I did right away - mistake! So this time I waited until after the ultra sound and posted pictures. I had told most people before that because I'm allergic to keeping anything a secret, but hey :)

Have you registered anywhere yet? If so, where and for what, etc.

No, but I've told my mom and sister-type-person that I want a k'tan carrier. Dusty and I are so picky, we're going to have to register for things so people don't get us things we don't want, but it feels weird.

What has been your most annoying first tri symptom?

I think the exhaustion. I can deal with nausea and Aching Boobs of Doom, but I hate being so tired all the time.

What books are you reading (about pregnancy, childbirth or not)?

I'm not! I mean to, but fail. I mean, I work at a midwifery birth center, they have a library I can borrow from! I did start re-reading my prental massagel book because it's awesome and very helpful to me. I read a lot of webpages, I have two aps on my phone. I had "The Thinking Woman's guild to a better birth" very highly recommended, and I think my friend is going to dig out the book she really loved and loan it to me.

Are you birthing at hospital or home or have you decided yet, etc?

Probably birthing in my Birth House. I wanted a home birth, but baby's being born during the two vacation months for the midwives, so there will just be one around - which puts all births in the birth house. Which is fine. I'm very comfy there - I work there! And then I don't have to clean up. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: August 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › August 2011 › First Time Mamas' Chat **January**