or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › January 2011 › Jan '11 DDC Newborn Chit Chat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Jan '11 DDC Newborn Chit Chat - Page 2

post #21 of 63

 

NAK

 

I got sick right after I got home from the hospital too... I figure since it was 3-4 days later, I probably picked mine up *in* the hospital.  My husband and I were both pretty sick, but none of the kids had it, so I don't think they were responsible for a change.  ;)  The baby didn't get sick at all, probably because I am nursing.  My fever never got above 100.2 though, so my midwife wasn't worried (I was worried about uterine infection @ first because of smelly lochia, & fever + 26 hours of ruptured membranes).


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post

So I just got over being sick. After a trip to L&D for a high fever and lots of stiffness and aches, they determined I had a virus. I got it like 3 days after I got home : (

 

I guess because of being sick, when I went to the pediatrician, baby lost 5 ounces. She pooped a lot yesterday, but has not pooped today, so I am a little worried and hoping things go back to normal in the next day or two. My mom keeps bugging to come and visit again (she has been once already), and I think she was the one who got me sick! And now she wants to bring friends. And she is not one to not touch the baby, I am shocked the baby isn't sick honestly, she was holding her after I asked her not to. So I had to tell her the pediatrician said no visitors for 4 weeks because it's flu/cold season.  And it has been bad around here.

 

Since the fever has broke though, I am beginning to feel somewhat normal, just worried about the baby's weight a bit.

post #22 of 63

NAK

Success!  Picked up the A+A from Target, swaddling arms out, and he's loving it.  The true test will be tonight when he goes to bed.  These will be awesome in the diaper bag too as a nursing cover.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM96 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Adorkable~ View Post

for those of you that swaddle, are you swaddling just at night or al the time or what? ive been wondering this, mine have been swaddled most of hte time, but now we are leaving their hands out more and letting them get used to them



I follow his cues.  We still swaddle quite a bit because he prefers it.  I leave him unswaddled quite a bit while he is awake, but when he starts getting stressed, I wrap him back up.  I expect his need to be swaddled all the time to decrease quite a bit when we get to his due date (in about 2 weeks).  I expect him to need to be swaddled for sleeping for quite a while yet based on past experience with my kids, but he is also the first one I am able to lay down to sleep (as opposed to needing to sleep in a bouncy seat due to reflux) so maybe he won't need to be swaddled as long.

 

If they are happy with their arms out then I would leave them out.  If they start fussing quite a bit, try swaddling again and see if that calms them down.

post #23 of 63

So glad to be joining this thread!!  We are doign good here, finally getting over the battle with jaundice.  When we were discharged from the hospital Monday night, 24 hours after birth Kyle's bilirubin was only at 4, then the next day it had jumped up to 9.  The pediatrician wasn't overly concerned but wanted to keep an eye on it to make sure it didn't rise too quickly.  Two days later (Thursday) it was up to 17:( 

 

He advised me just to nurse, nurse, nurse and nurse some more, try to get him in some sunlight if possible but just to nurse as much as we could.  My milk didn't come in until 4 days Thursday (he was born Sunday night) so we think that's why the levels kept going up since the colostrum doesn't do the greatest job at flushing his system.  His weight had also dropped down to 5 lbs 7 oz - he was 6 lbs 2 oz at birth.  As of  yesterday he is back up to 5 lbs 14 oz!  All this nursing is paying off!

 

We took him back again on Friday to have him rechecked and it was down to 16.  The ped was happy with that but since it was still considered on the high end of the ranges he wanted to have it checked again Saturday.  On Saturday the results came back over 17 again which they said was VERY unusual since it rarely goes back up once it starts to decline.  They ped was pretty certain that the blood drawn had started to clot on the way to the lab and we got artificial results.  Just to be sure we had to have yet another test this morning and now the level is down to 13!!!  YAY!!!  I'm so glad we are done with all that testing, my poor little guy has been pricked in the heel almost every day since he was born:( 

 

Re: swaddling - I've really only been swaddling at night.  I've tried using different blankets but he prefers the swaddle sack that we got (I think Halo brand?)  Lol it's soooo much easier to get on him, especially after the middle of the night diaper changes and feedings.  During the day we don't swaddle, I really only do it at night to keep him warm because our bedroom gets pretty chilly and the swaddler seems to keep him nice and cozy.

post #24 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post

Are you using the Aden + Anais <sp> blankets?  I was thinking of trying them, but the price is holding me back, and I am not sure how long we would use them.  They are also at the local cloth diaper store, and I am not sure I could hold myself back there.  LOL

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM96 View Post
So, has anyone found any products they absolutely love?  I am loving the muslin swaddling blankets.  I had 2 and just bought 4 more because we are using them constantly and I want to be sure I have a clean one whenever I need it.

 

I was given one of these,and I'm in luuuurve. I want one adult sized. And someone to swaddle me. :) 
 

post #25 of 63

Things are going good here. Wendy is 10 days old. I can hardly believe it. She is nursing often and has a good latch, but she seems to be struggling with gas/spitting up.. poor thing. I keep taking her off the breast during feedings to burp her like our midwife recommended, but it isn't helping. I'm also not sure I've got good "body mechanics" for nursing yet. I'm struggling with arm/hand/neck/shoulder aches. Still, I know things could be even harder, and I'm sure with support we'll work these issues out! 

I'm not sleeping much at night because she is nursing so often, but I think this is a good thing. Despite having gone back to work my husband is very keen to help with Wendy however he can at night be it diaper changes, getting me water, etc. I'm blessed! I'm trying to remember to cat nap during the day with her, and that really helps my mood.

My MIL came up the day after birth with her sister and REALLY helped with cleaning/cooking/spoiling us, and stayed for just a day. She came up this weekend and acted a lot more "guesty" which did NOT IMPRESS me. She prepared the convenience food we had in the house and now if I want something good for dinner I have to shop or make something from scratch. *eye roll* And she kept cuing up for "baby holding" which was annoying, because Wendy seems to get pretty overstimulated with a lot of holding from non mom/dad. And she played wii while the laundry stacked up. So much for "come to help with the baby." 

Oh well. I talked to hubby. No more company until I'm a bit more recovered/Wendy is older. 

Do I should Fussy? heh. Maybe I need another nap. Really, I'm feeling blessed. And like somebody else needs to do my shopping. 

post #26 of 63


Have you tried limiting milk products? My first had a ton of food issues, and I noticed Elise has them too now, when I drink/eat straight milk she is has a lot more spitting up. I always figure it doesn't hurt anything to remove milk for a few weeks to see and then add it back in.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiewik View Post

Things are going good here. Wendy is 10 days old. I can hardly believe it. She is nursing often and has a good latch, but she seems to be struggling with gas/spitting up.. poor thing. I keep taking her off the breast during feedings to burp her like our midwife recommended, but it isn't helping. I'm also not sure I've got good "body mechanics" for nursing yet. I'm struggling with arm/hand/neck/shoulder aches. Still, I know things could be even harder, and I'm sure with support we'll work these issues out!

post #27 of 63

I'd love some advice on this too. Eli is having terrible reflux/spitting up issues. I thought we had it under control but the last 2 days have been awful again. I don't do any dairy except occasional small amounts of cheese. We're doing gripe water when it's really bad, and I'm giving him Natren Life Start. We were up all night last night nursing/spitting up/choking.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillymonster View Post


Have you tried limiting milk products? My first had a ton of food issues, and I noticed Elise has them too now, when I drink/eat straight milk she is has a lot more spitting up. I always figure it doesn't hurt anything to remove milk for a few weeks to see and then add it back in.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiewik View Post

Things are going good here. Wendy is 10 days old. I can hardly believe it. She is nursing often and has a good latch, but she seems to be struggling with gas/spitting up.. poor thing. I keep taking her off the breast during feedings to burp her like our midwife recommended, but it isn't helping. I'm also not sure I've got good "body mechanics" for nursing yet. I'm struggling with arm/hand/neck/shoulder aches. Still, I know things could be even harder, and I'm sure with support we'll work these issues out!

post #28 of 63

Liam does not have any spitting up issues, but he is terribly gassy and uncomfortable, so I talked to his ped about it last week.

 

Tomorrow he's getting his tongue tie clipped, he has a shallow latch and tons of gas so I am hoping it helps.  His is VERY easy to see, but I read here there are less common ones that are harder to diagnose:  http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2011/01/posterior-tongue-tie.html

 

His ped also said that gripe water and simethicone are just as effective as placebo in helping with gas or spitting up, so not to bother.... however she said infant probiotics found in the fridge section of health food stores have been shown to help more than placebo.  This website seems to have a lot of good information, especially on the elimination diet, however it does seem to be product oriented and I have not tried any of them, so I can't endorse anything:  http://www.pollywogbaby.com/refluxandcolic/breastmilkeasiertodigest.html

 

I'll let you know if the tongue clipping helps him, his is very noticeable though, his tongue is actually forked.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappin-mama View Post

I'd love some advice on this too. Eli is having terrible reflux/spitting up issues. I thought we had it under control but the last 2 days have been awful again. I don't do any dairy except occasional small amounts of cheese. We're doing gripe water when it's really bad, and I'm giving him Natren Life Start. We were up all night last night nursing/spitting up/choking.

post #29 of 63

Sorry to hear you have a tongue tie! I had our midwife checking Wendy's tongue before I counted her toes because I was so tongue tied! 
I finally got to chat to my midwife, and it seems I have an over enthusiastic let down. So, I'll be doing my first letdown into a cup or burp cloth and then feeding her on the same side 2x before I offer the other breast. And lots of burping. Really hope this helps.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumnerRain View Post

Liam does not have any spitting up issues, but he is terribly gassy and uncomfortable, so I talked to his ped about it last week.

 

Tomorrow he's getting his tongue tie clipped, he has a shallow latch and tons of gas so I am hoping it helps.  His is VERY easy to see, but I read here there are less common ones that are harder to diagnose:  http://rixarixa.blogspot.com/2011/01/posterior-tongue-tie.html

 

His ped also said that gripe water and simethicone are just as effective as placebo in helping with gas or spitting up, so not to bother.... however she said infant probiotics found in the fridge section of health food stores have been shown to help more than placebo.  This website seems to have a lot of good information, especially on the elimination diet, however it does seem to be product oriented and I have not tried any of them, so I can't endorse anything:  http://www.pollywogbaby.com/refluxandcolic/breastmilkeasiertodigest.html

 

I'll let you know if the tongue clipping helps him, his is very noticeable though, his tongue is actually forked.

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappin-mama View Post

I'd love some advice on this too. Eli is having terrible reflux/spitting up issues. I thought we had it under control but the last 2 days have been awful again. I don't do any dairy except occasional small amounts of cheese. We're doing gripe water when it's really bad, and I'm giving him Natren Life Start. We were up all night last night nursing/spitting up/choking.

post #30 of 63
Thread Starter 

yeah we are deeling eith gassy babies too, lower gas, not just burping, its so hard when you want to fix everything

 

also calling to get her checked out for tougnue issues tomorrow, i think a mild case of it is hassling her.

 

no im just stuggling to figure out pacifiers, they do seem to need to suck when they arent hungry and so i think it would help, but they are still so wishy washy about their latch and the bottles are stilli nthe picture a few times a day, so i worry what i should do when

post #31 of 63

IL's are here (longer than the weekend I was originally told) so DH decided to go back to work a day early and they sent him away for three days! He is three hours from home and I am here with ILs and the 3 kids. I am sooooo thankful they are here but I might just lose my mind.

post #32 of 63

I was going to suggest looking into overactive letdown/oversupply for those moms with babies who are super gassy/fussy. It's a pretty common problem early on and it *really* can look like a diary sensitivity or reflux. The symptoms are very similar. I see a TON of babies misdiagnosed with reflux around our area who's moms just have an oversupply and some block nursing works in most of those cases and clears the reflux symptoms right up! This is a good page on it http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html

post #33 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_s View Post

I was going to suggest looking into overactive letdown/oversupply for those moms with babies who are super gassy/fussy. It's a pretty common problem early on and it *really* can look like a diary sensitivity or reflux. The symptoms are very similar. I see a TON of babies misdiagnosed with reflux around our area who's moms just have an oversupply and some block nursing works in most of those cases and clears the reflux symptoms right up! This is a good page on it http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html


yes, I had both - I was crazed with my first, she was never happy. Sometimes baby will make a "clicking" sound to stop the flow so that is something to look for. Also poop might be green or mucusy, but that might happen a little later - I think maybe it was 3-5 weeks with the mucusy green poop.

post #34 of 63

Thanks for the info on oversupply, I think we may be having the same issue here.

 

So, can you tell me what a day with your newborn looks like? I spend the whole day holding her while she sleeps and nursing her when she's awake, but just watching all sorts of garbage on TV all day which I hate.  What do you do all day? I talk to her and sing to her when she's awake, but what else can I do?

post #35 of 63

 

 

Quote:
Are you using the Aden + Anais <sp> blankets?  I was thinking of trying them, but the price is holding me back, and I am not sure how long we would use them.  They are also at the local cloth diaper store, and I am not sure I could hold myself back there.

I love these blankets. 

 

 

 

Quote:
So, can you tell me what a day with your newborn looks like? I spend the whole day holding her while she sleeps and nursing her when she's awake, but just watching all sorts of garbage on TV all day which I hate.  What do you do all day? I talk to her and sing to her when she's awake, but what else can I do?

I struggle with this too. I'm a go go go type of person and some days I'm bored out of my mind. I'm usually holding her or carrying her in the Moby. We go for a walk in the afternoon with the stroller because it is already 75 degrees here and we both get too warm with the wrap. I also read, talk and sing to her when she is awake. I give her a few minutes of tummy time on the floor every day. When she is sleeping I read and go online. My mom bought me a color Nook and it sure is easier to read a book on it when you are holding a baby. Nice for night time too because you can read without turning a light on. It also has wireless for internet and crossword puzzles. When my husband gets home he showers and then gives me a break so I can shower and stretch. We watch a couple of hours of tv at night but I don't watch any during the day.

 

post #36 of 63

Another product I love is the Bamboobies nursing pads. They are wonderful, especially the fleece night time ones!

post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_s View Post

I was going to suggest looking into overactive letdown/oversupply for those moms with babies who are super gassy/fussy. It's a pretty common problem early on and it *really* can look like a diary sensitivity or reflux. The symptoms are very similar. I see a TON of babies misdiagnosed with reflux around our area who's moms just have an oversupply and some block nursing works in most of those cases and clears the reflux symptoms right up! This is a good page on it http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html


Hey Ya'll. So far expressing through even a few 1st let downs a day and doing block nursing is really helping. Gassiness is greatly improved and poo is no longer green, bur rather a nice dark yellow. I hope things are going good.

 

 

 

post #38 of 63

The snip for Liam's tongue tie went great.  Super fast.  Baby was more pissed about fingers in his mouth, than the actual cut.  He nursed immediatly and didn't even burp afterward.  He is like a new baby.  He still fusses a bit at night before he sleeps, but I have not slept so well since before my milk came in.  He also nurses faster and it satisfies him longer.

post #39 of 63
Thread Starter 

i have a appointment with the main LC at my peds on friday to look at my little girls latch and possible mild tongue tie, we buckled and bought some Soothie pacifiers a few days ago, i was so so worried that i may be hurting her breastfeeding even more. 

well low and behold, first of all she really likes the soothies (and spits out th two ther brands i bought to test out) and secondly, her latch has pretty suddenly gotten much better! she often nurses without the nipple shield, it was pretty amazing, this pacifier may actually be getting used to having her mouth open! or maybe it is just her getting older and it is a coincidence, either way it is making me very happy

post #40 of 63

Adorkable--Yay!  Our NICU uses Soothie pacifiers to teach the preemies how to suck.  I was really happy to find them at our Kroger because Micah doesn't like to comfort nurse (neither did my other preemie) so we love our Soothies here.  :)  Plus, I love watching them suck on it since you can see what they are doing--I don't know why but it totally fascinates me.

 

My daughter used her Soothie until she was about 9months (6 months adjusted) and then just decided she didn't need it anymore.  I've always heard that there is a window at 6-9 months where it is easy for babies to give up their pacifiers so keep your eye out for that if your daughter really takes to the pacifier.

 

SummerRain--that is great that Liam is nursing better now!

 

mra--I have a NOOK also (not color though) and it is so much easier to read on that than a regular book.  It's a bit more dangerous though since it is so easy to buy a new book while nursing!

 

Micah is doing well.  He is over his cold and I can lay him down to sleep again.  We go to the doctor on Friday and I will find out how much he weighs then.  We are completely nursing now and I will just give him a bottle every now and then so that he stays used to them.  I figure that since he already has had them, we might as well take advantage of it.  I have a pretty good supply of milk in the freezer so I'm think I am done with the pump now!  We were "supposed" to continue with fortified bottles (bm with a tiny bit of formula added to up the calories--he was on higher calorie milk in the NICU) but it is such a pain to deal with bottles, pumping and 2 other kids who need me.  Nursing is so much easier in comparison.

 

I'm really looking forward to when the pooping slows down a bit.  I changed 5 diapers between 11pm and 5am yesterday.  I think Micah would sleep for longer stretches if he didn't have a dirty diaper and I certainly wouldn't mind a bit more sleep!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: January 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › January 2011 › Jan '11 DDC Newborn Chit Chat