or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Homebirth › If things didn't go perfect at your last HB, did/will you attempt another?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If things didn't go perfect at your last HB, did/will you attempt another? - Page 2

post #21 of 41

I chose not to.  I had a HB with my second that ended in a severe PPH.  In the end, I should have transferred but didn't (midwife didn't push for it, I was in shock) and ended up really sick for several months.

 

When I found out I was pregnant with number 3, we opted for a hospital birth with a midwife and while I did have a PPH again (I've had one with each baby) it was handled a lot better and gave both my husband and I the peace of mind we needed.

 

If there is a baby number 4, we will go back to that hospital.

post #22 of 41

This is a fascinating thread for me.  I had an attempted HBAC w/ DS2 which turned into a transfer for a baby who's heart rate freaked out whenever he moved past 0 station.  We tried to labor him down w/ an epidural and no pushing but he kept having decels and not moving any lower so we ended up opting for a csection.  Overall, my midwife was fabulous and we felt really empowered by actually choosing the csection when we did but the transfer itself (car ride and hospital staff) was a nightmare.

 

We're not actively planning a 3rd but I think if it happens at some point I'd opt for a hospital birth, attempting a VB2C (luckily I live in a state where a few providers and hospitals are ok with that) and my amazing midwife as a doula.  I think for me it's not a risk thing but an emotional thing.  I was so wanting birth #2 to be the peaceful, beautiful  healing experience #1 wasn't and there is something in planning a HB that makes it hard not to get emotionally attached...getting the tub, the supplies, thinking about where to set up, walking around your house picturing labor and delivery.  I can't do it again.  I keep looking at our futon, where I was sitting when we decided we had to transfer and it hurts my heart a little.  So if we have a 3rd, I will try my best to give my baby the benefit of labor and of choosing their own birthday but will go into thinking it will end in a section because that's what I need to do for my own emotional well being.

post #23 of 41

I did not have a homebirth, but had my son at a very low tech birth center staffed by cpm's, with the exact same care and setting I would have recieved at a home birth.  I transfered to the hospital 4 hours PP due to atonic bladder and retained placenta.  The midwives were not able to cath me, and I was not going to allow anyone to shove their hand into my uterus without pain meds and antibiotics!

 

My transfer experience sucked bad-  they were slow to make a decision to transfer, we had to go to the er and wait for 2 hrs, we had to wait one hour after that for an ob to come in, I was seperated from my baby for 6 hours (poor husband had to take him home, hours old, by himself, after no sleep).

 

In the end the ob I saw was caring, efficient, professional, and the nurses were also great.  After the issues were resolved and I was getting my abx drip I got the only sleep I had had or was to get for the next 48 hours.

 

In light of that experience, I realized how pointless the "15 min from the hospital" guidelines seemed.  What if I had needed to transfer with PPH, or a stuck baby, or a severly depressed or damaged newborn????

 

I have decided that if I have another baby, I will carefully research care providers, and choose a hospital birth.  Iv to me is no big deal, monitoring- whatever, it's not like I did much other than lean against the wall the first time around; no food- haha, they kept trying to force me to eat while I was in labor and I finally puked on them; also, after I had ds I just wanted to be left alone for a few and get my stuff back together, but they wouldn't take the baby off of me!!!  I asked and they said "oh no, he needs you to keep warm, you need to nurse him, you need to bond, yadda yadda yadda.  I just wanted to close my eyes and mentally recover for an hour or so, why the heck couldn't they take him, wrap him up, wash the blood off of him, hold him, and let me have the last moment of peace I was going to have for the next 20 years?

post #24 of 41

A lot of retained placenta and PPH on this thread, ha?  

post #25 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

A lot of retained placenta and PPH on this thread, ha?  



I wonder, are they some of the more common complications, or just the more common reasons for transfer?

post #26 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnerd View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

A lot of retained placenta and PPH on this thread, ha?  



I wonder, are they some of the more common complications, or just the more common reasons for transfer?


Yea, me too...

post #27 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarlady View Post

 

I would HB again, but I'm not sure DH would. I had severe PPH, ambulance transfer, and transfusion. DH says he thought he was losing me, and can't go through it again. Right now that is looking like no more kids for us, but maybe time will heal his emotional scars.


The emotional scar is what is hindering me also. I remember sitting on the bed, trying to deliver the placenta and feeling so helpless, like the MW told me to give it a good push and I couldn't do anything! Nothing, no contracting, no strength at ALL to push, nothing happened. And then there was a huge gush of blood and (still no placenta) and I looked at the assistant MW and she asked if I felt dizzy or warm (signs of low BP i guess) and that freaked me out. And then there was the ambulance ride. We sat in front of my house for 20 min collecting personal information! I was like, hello, I'm hemmoraging, and they were too busy asking about my husbands SSN for insurance billing to get to me the hospital in a timely manner! No iv, no BP monitoring, nothing. THen the look in my husbands eyes. Oh, the look like he was losing his wife, the mother of his kids. He was so worried, I just don't know if we can go through that again. :( At the hospital they ignored us, stared, whispered, rolled their eyes, and let me bleed for another hour before seeing the doctor. Another huge gush of blood (we think that was the placenta finally coming out) in the bed, i yelled out "I'm BLEEDING!, AND IM GOING TO PASS OUT!" And finally the ONE doctor on staff came to help us. It was a bit much. The neglect was real. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post

I chose not to.  I had a HB with my second that ended in a severe PPH.  In the end, I should have transferred but didn't (midwife didn't push for it, I was in shock) and ended up really sick for several months.

 

When I found out I was pregnant with number 3, we opted for a hospital birth with a midwife and while I did have a PPH again (I've had one with each baby) it was handled a lot better and gave both my husband and I the peace of mind we needed.

 

If there is a baby number 4, we will go back to that hospital.



 

Have they identified what causes it? 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post

This is a fascinating thread for me.  I had an attempted HBAC w/ DS2 which turned into a transfer for a baby who's heart rate freaked out whenever he moved past 0 station.  We tried to labor him down w/ an epidural and no pushing but he kept having decels and not moving any lower so we ended up opting for a csection.  Overall, my midwife was fabulous and we felt really empowered by actually choosing the csection when we did but the transfer itself (car ride and hospital staff) was a nightmare.

 

We're not actively planning a 3rd but I think if it happens at some point I'd opt for a hospital birth, attempting a VB2C (luckily I live in a state where a few providers and hospitals are ok with that) and my amazing midwife as a doula.  I think for me it's not a risk thing but an emotional thing.  I was so wanting birth #2 to be the peaceful, beautiful  healing experience #1 wasn't and there is something in planning a HB that makes it hard not to get emotionally attached...getting the tub, the supplies, thinking about where to set up, walking around your house picturing labor and delivery.  I can't do it again.  I keep looking at our futon, where I was sitting when we decided we had to transfer and it hurts my heart a little.  So if we have a 3rd, I will try my best to give my baby the benefit of labor and of choosing their own birthday but will go into thinking it will end in a section because that's what I need to do for my own emotional well being.



I had a hard time gettign attached to my HB last time too. I was in disbelief it could happen. I understand your apprehension. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnerd View Post

I did not have a homebirth, but had my son at a very low tech birth center staffed by cpm's, with the exact same care and setting I would have recieved at a home birth.  I transfered to the hospital 4 hours PP due to atonic bladder and retained placenta.  The midwives were not able to cath me, and I was not going to allow anyone to shove their hand into my uterus without pain meds and antibiotics!

 

My transfer experience sucked bad-  they were slow to make a decision to transfer, we had to go to the er and wait for 2 hrs, we had to wait one hour after that for an ob to come in, I was seperated from my baby for 6 hours (poor husband had to take him home, hours old, by himself, after no sleep).

 

In the end the ob I saw was caring, efficient, professional, and the nurses were also great.  After the issues were resolved and I was getting my abx drip I got the only sleep I had had or was to get for the next 48 hours.

 

In light of that experience, I realized how pointless the "15 min from the hospital" guidelines seemed.  What if I had needed to transfer with PPH, or a stuck baby, or a severly depressed or damaged newborn????

 

I have decided that if I have another baby, I will carefully research care providers, and choose a hospital birth.  Iv to me is no big deal, monitoring- whatever, it's not like I did much other than lean against the wall the first time around; no food- haha, they kept trying to force me to eat while I was in labor and I finally puked on them; also, after I had ds I just wanted to be left alone for a few and get my stuff back together, but they wouldn't take the baby off of me!!!  I asked and they said "oh no, he needs you to keep warm, you need to nurse him, you need to bond, yadda yadda yadda.  I just wanted to close my eyes and mentally recover for an hour or so, why the heck couldn't they take him, wrap him up, wash the blood off of him, hold him, and let me have the last moment of peace I was going to have for the next 20 years?



I'm so sorry the MSs weren't responsive to your needs. Isn't that what usually sets them apart from MDs? 



Quote:
Originally Posted by plantnerd View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

A lot of retained placenta and PPH on this thread, ha?  



I wonder, are they some of the more common complications, or just the more common reasons for transfer?


Retained placenta is extremely common in unmanaged deliveries (meaning no pitocin). I think it's something like 15% (but don't quote me on it- I seem to remember something like that from researching afterwards). That is why I believe it is extremely important for MWs to carry pitocin, to know how/when to administer it, and to legalize and make it accessible for MWs across the nation. 

post #28 of 41

 

I remember the look in my DH's eyes when we were getting into the car to transfer.  It's one of my strongest memories of the birth.  I'm sorry to hear about all the terrible transfer stories.  We had a relatively positive transfer I guess because we were living in such a HB supportive town.  Also, my MW used uterine pressure to get the last bit of placenta (or whatever it was) out of my uterus.  It was after that that I lost quite a bit of blood BUT I also felt my uterus functioning properly after she did that.  I feel as though that was the best course of action though I also appreciated the transfusion for quicker recovery.  
 
I'm going to put it on my list to speak with my MW about retained placenta and PPH.  
 
Do any of you know if these two things are related (they sure seem so from reading this thread) and how and why?  What about prevention?  
 
OP, if this is too much of a spin off I could post another thread - say the word or PM me if anyone prefers we make a new thread!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post



 THen the look in my husbands eyes.  
 
 
 
 
post #29 of 41
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityCrisisMama View Post

 

I remember the look in my DH's eyes when we were getting into the car to transfer.  It's one of my strongest memories of the birth.  I'm sorry to hear about all the terrible transfer stories.  We had a relatively positive transfer I guess because we were living in such a HB supportive town.  Also, my MW used uterine pressure to get the last bit of placenta (or whatever it was) out of my uterus.  It was after that that I lost quite a bit of blood BUT I also felt my uterus functioning properly after she did that.  I feel as though that was the best course of action though I also appreciated the transfusion for quicker recovery.  
 
I'm going to put it on my list to speak with my MW about retained placenta and PPH.  
 
Do any of you know if these two things are related (they sure seem so from reading this thread) and how and why?  What about prevention?  
 
OP, if this is too much of a spin off I could post another thread - say the word or PM me if anyone prefers we make a new thread!  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post



 THen the look in my husbands eyes.  
 
 
 
 


I'm no expert but I think they're related because the uterus cannot contract with the placenta still inside and thus the PPH. Why some women get the hemmorage and some don't is beyond me. I've heard stories of when walking around with placentas still inside for hours after their births, and apparently hemmorage isn't an issue for them. For me, I was in prodromal labor for 2 days prior to DSs delivery, dranks tons of labour aid, and peed frequently during the delivery. He came out in about 5-6 pushes. He was big- 9.2oz. Did any of that factor into it? Long labor, fast exit, big baby- tired uterus? I don't know...? But of course I'll always wonder if I could have done something different. 

 

As far as prevention, I did it all, or so I thought. I drank alfalfa, nettles, and RRT infusion religiously up until DSs birth (like quarts per day). I don't know if it made any difference, but I bounced back pretty quick anyway, even with all the blood loss (>2L+)

post #30 of 41

I had a retained placenta for about 6 hrs after birth.  I did not hemmorage.  In fact, my placenta had detached normally, but I was no longer contracting at all and had a hugely distended, atonic bladder that was blocking the placenta from being delivered. About 1 liter of urine was drained out by the time I finally got cathed at the hospital.  I suspect the bladder issue was also partially to blame for my extended and extremely painful pushing stage (a little over 3 hours), along with a malpresentation in baby- his head was cocked to the side, and I had to force him to even engage in the cervix to complete dilation.

post #31 of 41
I had a not-perfect and somewhat traumatizing 4th delivery (UC) and did a homebirth for #5. I had 3 very traumatizing hospital births, though, so I was not interested in repeating that! I'm glad I did. Dh is "fixed" but if I were to have had another, I might have had a UC. I can't afford another hb midwife and the tricky legal situation here would hold me back.
post #32 of 41

I hemoraged after YDD was born (3rd baby, but 2nd homebirth). My midwife told me God just gave her a feeling that she was going to need a 2nd pair of hands. So she called her apprentice who was there a few minutes before her. Labor was fast and over quickly (under 4 hours). Everything seemed fine, but my placenta was NOT coming out. I was bleeding alot. They tried bitter herbs, then resorted to giving me Pitocin in the hip. That hurt believe it or not, lol! But if finally came out (maybe 20-30 mins after DD was born). The bleeding continued, but really was just a little more then usual. My pad usage was normal within several hours. No biggie really. But the amount of blood on the bed was crazy looking. I rolled over into it and ended up having it go up my whole body, ewww! But I am so glad I was home. I had to wonderful ladies who were on me and my uterus like white on rice and took wonderful care of me. I got to lay down and nurse DD the whole time. They could see and reach everything even with me on my side. In a hospital DD would have been taken away from me, and I would have been on my back in the most compromising demeaning postion for a woman. I felt safer at home. DD even had some thick meconium (they had to wash her hair 3 times to get it out, she had a baby wig's worth of hair, so it was just so messy) and they suctioned her right away and she was also fine.

 

So yes I would stay home again. I do feel it was the safer choice for me.

post #33 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post


He came out in about 5-6 pushes. He was big- 9.2oz. Did any of that factor into it? Long labor, fast exit, big baby- tired uterus? I don't know...? But of course I'll always wonder if I could have done something different.


I'm no expert either, but a home birth midwife I just interviewed yesterday commented that fast pushing phases tend to have higher changes of PPH.   I doubt the size of the baby would have to do with it, but it could be that a long labor + fast pushing = tired uterus. Just a guess though.

 

I am very thankful that our state's homebirth midwives carry pitocin, cytotec &/or methergine for PPH.

post #34 of 41

 

My MW carried pictocin. I had 20 units at home (2 shots), but still no placenta. I was hemmorraging badly. It felt like my water breaking, but was blood and clots. We did 911, EMTs came and did an IV, firemen carried me to an ambulance, I went by ambulance to hospital (although they drove slowly and stopped at lights). Straight to L&D where a team was waiting to care for me. Second line went in and many people were rushing around. I think the worst part for DH was watching all these medical professionals doing their thing with such urgency. The doc came in and he asked if they were going to sugically remove the placenta, to which she replied. "we can't. If we put her under right now she won't be coming back." I had a BP of 60/20 and was tachicardic with a HR over 175. Bad, bad, bad! I remember the look on DHs face, and he was terrified. I, of course, was sort of loopy from blood loss, so I guess it was more surreal than scary for me, although I recall not liking the smell of the oxygen and the serious pain of a manual placenta removal. Ouch!

I guess mine shows that in a true emergency, transfer works. But I can understand why DH thinks we are done with kids. Maybe if the doctor had just said "no", it would be better. But having a medical professional tell you your wife might die no doubt scars for life.

As for the biology of PPH, the worst is from a placenta that is partially detached or torn from the wall. This is what happened to me. The arteries that run to the placenta will not seal until the entire placenta detaches, and the uterine muscle clamps down. So partially detached means basially an open artery just pumping blood out of the body. It is a lot of blood fairly quickly. My hemmorage lasted about 45 min (20 at home, 15 for transfer, 10 in hospital care) and i lost around 3 liters (3000 mL) (about 3 quarts) of blood. I needed a transfusion in order to be able to stand without shaking and getting the chills. It is fair to say birth nearly killed me.

With all that, i would HB again, as i said before. But DH might not be willing to do that. I would be very, very careful who I hired to tend me, and would go with a MW with decades of experience and several traumas under her belt. A big part of my personal trauma is not from the PPH/transfer itself (although that really sucked) but from the way my birth and transfer were handled/mishandled by my MW.
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShwarmaQueen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmh23 View Post

I chose not to.  I had a HB with my second that ended in a severe PPH.  In the end, I should have transferred but didn't (midwife didn't push for it, I was in shock) and ended up really sick for several months.

 

When I found out I was pregnant with number 3, we opted for a hospital birth with a midwife and while I did have a PPH again (I've had one with each baby) it was handled a lot better and gave both my husband and I the peace of mind we needed.

 

If there is a baby number 4, we will go back to that hospital.



 

Have they identified what causes it? 
 

 


No.  I tend to bleed easily (frequent bloody noses that last anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour) but haven't had any testing done.

 

And my midwife carried pitocin and something else that's supposed to stop a pph.  It didn't work.

post #36 of 41

 I have planned two home births and had to transfer both times. First time was after a long pushing stage that exhausted me and ended in a c section. It was devastating for me and the emotional scars from my c section took a long time to heal ( and I'm still working on them). For my second pregnancy I planned another home birth with different midwives. I absolutely loved my midwives and feel good about the actions and decisions they made. I know the transfer was necessary, and while I am sad and disappointed that I didn't have my home birth, I was treated well in the hospital and still had a vbac. I might not have any more children, but if we do, I think I still want to plan a home birth. Maybe the third times the charm! I just love midwifery care and the support I had from my midwives is unlike anything else. I am a little unsure though, because I feel like I already tried twice, yk? I also struggled a lot with the pain, and I know if I had been in the hospital earlier I would have gotten an epidural. The thing is though, this time was really a totally random, sudden reason for transfer and I don't think it would be likely to repeat. I also think I would feel a lot more confident already having had a vbac. I always knew my body could birth, but since I hadn't experienced it, I had a lot of fear and doubt this pregnancy. I think next time I would have more confidence. I am sad though because I couldn't hire my fantastic midwife again who I love, since she retired.  I'm sure I could find another good midwife though. A third child is totally hypothetical at this point though, but I am thinking about it a lot.

post #37 of 41

My first two were born at home.  With my third, we had a planned hombirth, but transferred because my water broke at 35 weeks.  It was horrible...not the birth at the hospital, but the fear involved.  Then she ended up on the ventilator in the NICU for two weeks.  THAT was enough to convince us we were done having kids...until this fall lol.  We are absolutely planning another homebirth.  Despite the problems I had, I really believe the most peaceful entrance into the world for my kids is in my home.  But that said, we are also preparing to have 3rd trimester trouble again (each time has been getting worse) and are mentally preparing for another hospital birth.

post #38 of 41


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday13th View Post

This is a fascinating thread for me.  I had an attempted HBAC w/ DS2 which turned into a transfer for a baby who's heart rate freaked out whenever he moved past 0 station.  We tried to labor him down w/ an epidural and no pushing but he kept having decels and not moving any lower so we ended up opting for a csection.  Overall, my midwife was fabulous and we felt really empowered by actually choosing the csection when we did but the transfer itself (car ride and hospital staff) was a nightmare.

 

We're not actively planning a 3rd but I think if it happens at some point I'd opt for a hospital birth, attempting a VB2C (luckily I live in a state where a few providers and hospitals are ok with that) and my amazing midwife as a doula.  I think for me it's not a risk thing but an emotional thing.  I was so wanting birth #2 to be the peaceful, beautiful  healing experience #1 wasn't and there is something in planning a HB that makes it hard not to get emotionally attached...getting the tub, the supplies, thinking about where to set up, walking around your house picturing labor and delivery.  I can't do it again.  I keep looking at our futon, where I was sitting when we decided we had to transfer and it hurts my heart a little.  So if we have a 3rd, I will try my best to give my baby the benefit of labor and of choosing their own birthday but will go into thinking it will end in a section because that's what I need to do for my own emotional well being.

 I can really relate to this. Mostly, I feel that I would want to plan a home birth, because each birth is different and it could work next time. I also just love prenatal care from midwives and can't imagine going to an o.b. I absolutely needed my midwives support and faith in me during labor. And I just don't think I could have a hospital birth as my plan, even though I had a positive birth after transfer. But, I got very attached and emotionally invested in having my birth at home both times, even though this time I tried hard not to, I still got  attached.  Both times coming back home after the birth, and seeing all the places in my house where I had labored (and some of the supplies still set up, birth tub, tray with gloves, etc was really hard and made me choke up and cry.  There are just so many memories attached. Both times I got to transition (and almost pushing, and so had to transfer during advanced labor. This time we were having late hear rate decelarations and were concerned for the baby. I don't know if I will have anymore children, but I am finding it really difficult to let go of my dream of a home birth. I can totally understand planning a hospital birth too, although I don't think I could do it, I also don't know if I could handle a third transfer if that were to happen.
 

post #39 of 41

My last two births were suppose to be homebirths. The first was a transfer at almost 9 cms because my son flipped transverse! Apparently its pretty rare to have that happen. Anyway he ended up being a csection. My last birth (a little over two weeks ago) was another planned homebirth. We ended up having to do an induction due to dates. Luckily my midwife had access to an OB who will induce vbacs as long as they have a favourable cervix. Most doctors want to just do another csection. My last birth actually wasn't too bad. I went in at 8am, had him at 11:30am, and left the hospital at 2:30pm.

 

Having sad that, if we ever have another I would like to try for another homebirth. I know my husband probably would prefer a hospital birth but he has always been a big supporter of me doing what I want to do.

post #40 of 41

We had a scary bradycardia in 2nd stage, episiotomy and purple pushing and I'd totally do it again at home.  My midwife was awesome (and even with the sense of urgency, was explaining and getting my consent for interventions) when it hit the fan and I trust her.  I think I got much better care at home than I would have at a local hospital.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Homebirth
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › Homebirth › If things didn't go perfect at your last HB, did/will you attempt another?