OMG Boulder, Boulder, Boulder!
1) not sure about the homeschooling thing, but you could do some research
2) AMAZING outdoor opportunities unlike any other place in the country....Boulder Creek, Boulder Creek path, Chataqua, Hiking, Kids Fishing Pond, So much open space, trails, outdoor festivals, extremely bike and pedestrian friendly, Flatirons etc. etc., amazing scenic views
3) Did I mention the outstanding views on the flatirons?? http://media.away.com/images/trip_ideas/denver/co-boulder.jpg
4) There is a bus that goes up to Eldora Ski resort from downtown Boulder, takes about 40 minutes! Other ski resorts not far
5) Many swim teams
6) Amazing college town, University of Colorado is internationally recognized....Boulder is also very educated (is one of the cities with most PhDs for the population etc.) and extremely healthy (gets consistently voted Most Beautiful People)
7) Outstanding farmers market, every week, they're considering getting a facility to do it year round, lots of local farms and CSA....Downtown is AMAZING, pearl street mall, lots of wonderful food etc.
OK, so I'm really trying to sell you on this one.....but Boulder is amazing!! People settle here from all over the world and no one wants to leave. It could be more ethnically diverse (lots of white people) but it has an extremely diverse intellectual, spiritual, and general climate. Liberal, free thinking, creative.
I wish I could raise my kids and family in Boulder from birth until death!
Check it out!!!