I'm several days into a cold turkey effort to wean my 19-month-old from the pacifier. She'd been asking for it more and more (always to fall asleep, always in the car, 50% of the time at home, even if she wasn't tired or cranky), so I decided to end it. The first few days I still let her have it for naps and at bedtime, and I was amazed by how easily she accepted it. So I decided to take it away altogether. The first night was great—she even slept through by herself for the first time! Since then, however, things have gotten rough. She'll often cry and thrash for an hour or more before falling asleep (my husband or I still lay with her to fall asleep and generally stay through the night). I'm still determined, but my husband is having serious doubts. I feel we ought to give it two weeks before we make a final decision, but he might not last that long.
Is 19-months a good time to be doing this? Is it a bad time? Are there any tricks we can try (without pulling the pacifiers out of hiding)? Whenever she asks for it, I simply tell here "there are no more." A major factor is that I'm due with my second in April, and I fear that if we don't wean her now, it'll be much harder after the next baby arrives. I feel very determined right now, and I don't know if I'll have the same willpower later. But I also worry that those considerations ought to be secondary to what is truly best for my daughter. I'd appreciate any advice.