or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Stay at Home Parents › In a funk
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In a funk

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

My house is a wreck and the kids are sitting in front of the TV (pbs, but still) because I just don't have the energy to deal with the constant fighting over stuff and demands for me to do things. I feel like a bad mother, but I don't know what to do to make things better. I wake up in the morning with no energy, feeling like I just want to go back to bed. DD is 4 and DS is 20 months and sometimes the demands are just overwhelming. The snow that is keeping us stuck in the house isn't helping either. Sorry, this is more of a vent than a question. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

 

Kim

post #2 of 15

I don't have any suggestions because I am really in that funk boat now too. I have a 21mo and am 13 weeks pregnant. Same deal- house is wrecked, kid watching signs videos and I'm DRAGGING myself out of bed and straight to the couch! Hope you find some relief soon!

post #3 of 15

 

I feel exactly the same, so I just offer sympathy! I have a 3 year old, 2 year old, 11 month old, I'm 8 weeks pregnant, and my husband is deployed. I am EXHAUSTED! The house is a wreck, they are just eating snacks all day, they are watching PBS. I too am tired of all the fighting. All day long they fight. So, all in all, I totally get you!

post #4 of 15

I'm there too ladies!  My DP works out of town all week and I realize that when I start getting to feeling like this that I am not taking any time for myself.  So I MAKE myself exercise and also try to get away on the weekend for at least 4 hours or so.  Just to recharge.  If you can do that, it will help!

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by love4bob View Post

 

I feel exactly the same, so I just offer sympathy! I have a 3 year old, 2 year old, 11 month old, I'm 8 weeks pregnant, and my husband is deployed. I am EXHAUSTED! The house is a wreck, they are just eating snacks all day, they are watching PBS. I too am tired of all the fighting. All day long they fight. So, all in all, I totally get you!



Oh my, you have a lot on your plate. Hugs to you, mama!

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by applecider View Post

I'm there too ladies!  My DP works out of town all week and I realize that when I start getting to feeling like this that I am not taking any time for myself.  So I MAKE myself exercise and also try to get away on the weekend for at least 4 hours or so.  Just to recharge.  If you can do that, it will help!



I know I need to do that, too. I haven't been exercising or taking time for myself either. I am going to make that my priority this weekend!

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by imkidarose View Post

I don't have any suggestions because I am really in that funk boat now too. I have a 21mo and am 13 weeks pregnant. Same deal- house is wrecked, kid watching signs videos and I'm DRAGGING myself out of bed and straight to the couch! Hope you find some relief soon!



Thanks and I hope you do, too! Hopefully you will feel less tired as you get into the second trimester.

post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatstanley72 View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by applecider View Post

I'm there too ladies!  My DP works out of town all week and I realize that when I start getting to feeling like this that I am not taking any time for myself.  So I MAKE myself exercise and also try to get away on the weekend for at least 4 hours or so.  Just to recharge.  If you can do that, it will help!



I know I need to do that, too. I haven't been exercising or taking time for myself either. I am going to make that my priority this weekend!



I've found that for me to have some time out of the house for myself is essential. I go to volleyball one night a week for a couple of hours. It doesn't sound like much, but it has realy helped. I also found that taking vitamin D gives me a little energy boost too, especially in the winter. Some days are still like this for us, but I don't feel so bad about it when it does because it's not everyday. :)

post #9 of 15
I relate way too much. And I agree with applecider above, usually when I start feeling like that it means I'm getting burnt out and need some time to myself doing something fun.

The problem is that I can't get consistent with forcing that to happen, so I keep ending up back in this place! If you figure that part out, let me know! shrug.gif
post #10 of 15

It's okay. Sometimes that happens. Usually the next day is better.

Rest and have a cup of tea.

post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Lily View Post

I relate way too much. And I agree with applecider above, usually when I start feeling like that it means I'm getting burnt out and need some time to myself doing something fun.

The problem is that I can't get consistent with forcing that to happen, so I keep ending up back in this place! If you figure that part out, let me know! shrug.gif


I have that same problem, but at least I know what to do about it now.  Also, the way I figure it, my kids are still little and needy and as they get older and are more self-sufficient, hopefully I won't get to that point as much?

 

Hope you're doing better OP!  

post #12 of 15

I'm so glad I came across your post!!! It made me feel less alone! Thank you! That was my day EXACTLY today. DS 23 months, I HATE when I put TV on for him --- against my values totally, but today he watched DVDs! Ahhh! I was feeling completely depressed, couldn't go to the gym because the keys were lost, felt horrible, the house was a complete wreck with stuff everywhere (the maintenance guy found a lime on the floor near our furnace!) and I never even got out of my pajamas.

 

One of those horrible, no salvaging it, kind of days.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2happy View Post

It's okay. Sometimes that happens. Usually the next day is better.

Rest and have a cup of tea.


Thanks for the reminder. ^ I guess we all need to get these days out of our systems. (I just wish the dishes would do themselves so that they weren't in the sink the next morning) LoL
 

post #13 of 15

I'm here too!  We are in Michigan, and it's too bitterly cold to be taking a 5 yo, 3 yo, and 11 mos old outside to play.  We end up indoors most days, and since we homeschool, we don't even have coming/going for school to break it up.  My mom has started using a light therapy machine thingy (jeez I don't know the name lol!), and she said it has helped with the lethargy blahs related to being stuck in the house.  I am going to buy one and give it a shot.  Also, I bought a recumbent exercise bike locally, used, and I'm hoping to plop that down in the living room to be able to used for another energy burst.

 

But yeah, it sucks being stuck in the house - you really start just not caring about anything from cleaning to brushing teeth to changing your clothes out of your jammies!  irked.gif

post #14 of 15

 Oh god, this is me too right now. I just had a baby, he will be six weeks on Saturday, and I have a 3 year old DS. I am so sleep deprived, not getting any naps, DS tears apart the house, and it's in a constant messy state. I have been stuck in the house all week, and am starting to feel stir crazy and depressed.  But going out anywhere with the two of them feels so overwhelming and like so much work, and takes so much time. I am used to just being able to run out the door with DS and on diaper bag. DH is gone all day in school and then has homework. Help! How do you ever get out of the house with two? When will this feel normal?

post #15 of 15

How much sleep are you getting?  Mine are about those ages (or were, a few months ago).  Here's what has us at our best: 

 

Before I got pregnant, the gym at least 3x week for me.  Gym childcare for them.  This was a hurdle for my younger one but I had to consider it a non negotiable.  I went every day for about 10 days at 8am (quietest time), sometimes for just half an hour, so that she'd adjust. Then I could get more flexible with times/durations.  Now I leave them for 90 minutes.

 

Preschool 3x week for my son.  One of those days he's there until 1pm (lunch program).  This gives me some nice time with my DD.  We go to Target, Starbucks, grocery store or just hang out at home (distance wise it's often more practical for us to stay out).

 

"must do" chore list.  These are things around the house I make myself do every day because I cleaner house makes me happier.

 

Early bedtime for me.  I do great on about 8 hours sleep.

 

wrt sleep, weaning/nightweaning my youngest eliminated her nightwaking.

 

I've had to accept that I'm a very lazy person and really to push myself to keep myself focused.  But the payoff is great and really worth the effort.  When I can be bothered.  orngtongue.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Stay at Home Parents
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Stay at Home Parents › In a funk