Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama
Originally Posted by mom2happy
Originally Posted by ABMama
I told myself that I would "shush/pat" this baby to sleep as my 1st and 2nd always fell asleep at the breast.
This is exactly what I told myself about this one too. How the HECK is that done anyway?
Why do know like 20 people who say they put their babies in the crib at naptime and they just fall asleep for two hours?
They say it so matter of factly- like it's so normal. I guess all three of mine are abnormal?
I would hazard to guess that those babies are sleep trained.
If you are serious about trying to end the breast-to-sleep correlation but want to do it in a gentler, non-CIO way, you might want to check out The No Cry Sleep Solution and The No Cry Nap Solution. I would only do one at a time, though, personally.
My 9 month old goes right to sleep with no nursing and has definitely never been sleep trained:) He just loves sleeping! As soon as he looks sleepy, I set him in his bed (which is a montessori style floor bed so he is able to crawl right out if he wanted to), and he lays his head down and passes out for 1-3 hours. 3 times a day.
I understand that he is a freak of nature in this regard:)
I happily nursed him to sleep and bedshared from birth, but around 4 months he just started preferring to put himself to sleep. We moved him from our bed to a crib at that point, then a crib to a floor bed at 7 months when he started crawling. His room is babyproofed and all toys are at his level so all he has to do is crawl out of bed and all sorts of fun is right at his fingertips yet he happily puts himself to sleep. If I try to nurse or rock him, he will thrash and cry. If I lay him down wide awake, he just goes right to bed w/o a peep. Sometimes I lay by him and rub his back (when he'll let me).
He has definitely never had to CIO or anything close to it. If he doesn't go to sleep, he gets up and plays for awhile then we try again in 30 minutes or so if he's looking tired. There have been a few days where he has only taken one nap because if he doesn't want to sleep, I don't make him.
As nice as that sounds, he refuses to nap ANYWHERE besides his bed. If we are out and about he will not nap at other people's houses, or even in a carrier. VERY RARELY he will fall asleep in the carseat when I'm driving. Even at home he isn't one of those babies that will pass out playing on the floor. He will only fall asleep in his bed. If I try to get him to fall asleep with me or my DH in our bed, no dice. Although when he wakes in the middle of the night about 10% of the time he will fall asleep in our bed after nursing, but the other 90% of the time he'll start fussing, then crying and working himself into a rage until we put him back in his bed (he's fine with one of us laying in HIS bed with him).
Anyways, its nice that he falls asleep easily at home, but sometimes I wish he were a little more flexible and I didn't have to always plan our days around being home for his naps. It really makes eating over at family/friend's houses difficult because he will just start crying at 6:30 and nothing will make him happy except being at home in bed. My SIL's kids will just pass out anywhere and it seems kind of nice.