For anyone who doesn't know where to start! You can print this out and take it with you! You can take out or add to if you want, but this is a great list to get you started!
- What is your general philosophy about pregnancy and birth?
- Do you let us do whatever we want during labor? (Food, positions, water, etc.)
- What is your education and training as a midwife?
- How many years have you been practicing?
- Are you a mother yourself? How old are your children now?
- How were your babies born?
- Do you work alone or with a partner or assistant? If you work with someone, what is their experience?
- Do you participate in a local midwife peer review group? How many meetings have you attended in the past year?
- How many births have you attended as the primary caregiver?
- What is your experience with breech births? How many have you attended?
- What is your experience with twins? How many have you attended?
- What is your experience with VBACS? How many have you attended?
- How do you handle posterior babies?
- For hospital midwives, how do you feel about home birth?
For home birth midwives, how do you feel about unassisted birth?
- How many births are you attending now? Do you have a maximum, and how do you manage to avoid too many commitments?
- If I am planning a home birth, do you come to my home any time before I go into labor? Do you provide supplies or literature to help us prepare?
- How often will I see you? What do your checkups consist of?
- What are your guidelines concerning weight gain, nutrition, prenatal vitamins, and exercise? What are your standards for pre-eclampsia?
- Do you require that I take a childbirth education class? Do you teach such a class?
- Who takes over for you if you go on vacation or get sick?
- What is your policy for postdates? At what point do you consider a pregnancy postdates? If I reach 42wks will you induce me? If I refuse induction will you risk me out?
- What other reasons would you risk a client out (i.e. GD, pre-e, etc)?
- What is your policy regarding large babies?
- What do you consider a high-risk pregnancy?
Hospital and Obstetrician
- Do you attend births in a birthing center, home or hospital?
- How do you handle emergencies? Under what circumstances would you transfer?
- What is your transfer rate?
- Would you stay with me in the hospital?
- Do you require that I see a physician during my pregnancy even if everything is all right?
- Do you have guidelines or restrictions about who can give birth at home?
- Under what circumstances do you induce labor with pitocin?
- What is your protocol to induce labor naturally?
- What is your c-section rate?
- What is your episiotomy rate?
- What kind of equipment do you bring to a birth?
- Are you permitted to administer any drugs during labor?
- How many people are allowed to be around?
- When should I call you after my labor begins?
- Will you allow my partner to be as active at the birth as he desires?
- How much time do you allow for the delivery of the placenta?
- How soon do you usually clamp/cut the cord after delivery? Can I wait to clamp/cut the cord until *after* the placenta has expelled?
- How often have you swept membranes to get labor going? Artificially ruptured membranes (AROM)?
- In a typical labor, how often do you do vaginal exams (VE)?
- What will you do if I show up to the hospital in active labor and my baby is breech?
- Do you use natural methods for treating GBS or require ABx for GBS? Can I refuse antibiotics for GBS or will you risk me out?
- What is your policy on prolonged rupture of membranes(PROM)?
- What are your fees and what do they include?
- Can you submit your charges to my insurance company?
- What payment arrangements do you make?
- Have you ever had to resuscitate a baby?
- Do you regularly bulb suction baby after birth?
- Do you examine the baby after birth?
- Do you give eyedrops or shots to the baby?
- Do you have a pediatrician you work with or recommend?
- Will you help me with breastfeeding?
- How do you feel about circumcision?
- How often do you come to see me after I give birth?
- Do you provide or know of anyone who will help new mothers after birth?