or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › What names are you too chicken to name your babies?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What names are you too chicken to name your babies? - Page 18

post #341 of 592



love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

Hubby and I thought we were set on William Matthew (I know, that's about as un-out-there as you can get lol) but I have issues with it. For one, they are both horribly popular at the moment.

Then today he suggested Theoden (the king of Rohan in the Lord of the Rings trilogy). Pronounced THAY-o-din. I'm torn between "love it!" and "way too out there". What do you all think? 



 

post #342 of 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

Hubby and I thought we were set on William Matthew (I know, that's about as un-out-there as you can get lol) but I have issues with it. For one, they are both horribly popular at the moment.

Then today he suggested Theoden (the king of Rohan in the Lord of the Rings trilogy). Pronounced THAY-o-din. I'm torn between "love it!" and "way too out there". What do you all think? 



I don't love it myself, but it's not way too out there at all. 

post #343 of 592

It's not out there relative to some names that people give their kids these days. Wouldn't use it personally because we already have a last name we have to spell to everybody, and prefer first names that are common enough that people are familiar with them.

 

William and Matthew may be common names, but they'll never go out of style either.... there are always Williams and Matthews. We leaned towards William for a boy, but it was kind of a compromise name because he hated all the names I loved and vice versa... luckily we had a girl, and didn't have to deal with it.

post #344 of 592

I love Theoden.

 

I was chatting with my mother today and told her I like the name Willa for a girl and the names Hollis and Sampson for boys. You would think I said "Dumb" and "Dumber" instead of Hollis and Willa, she thought they were the craziest names ever! I love Willa, I think it's strong but feminine and I like Hollis because it's uncommon, professional sounding and out there but not TOO out there.

post #345 of 592

We're thinking about Odin. Norse god, father of thor, etc. I'm not sure if we could do it. It seems almost pretentious to name my kid a god? lol.gif

post #346 of 592

I'm really into Greek and Roman names and would totally name a kid after a god. My DH's original last name (he changed it as an adult to his stepfather's last name, who raised him) was Oden. We joked about naming our kid Oden, but won't.

post #347 of 592

The issue with Theoden for me is not that it's too out there, but that it's a little too geeky. But if you can strip away the associations, it's actually a strong, musical name. 

 

William and Matthew will always be "popular" because they are such classic names. It's not just right now. I personally shy away from names that are trendy, and truly are popular right now, but that won't necessarily be for very long (like Aiden, or Bentley). But I think I know what you mean about names like William and Matthew - I personally wouldn't choose them because I want my kids names to be a little more unusual, be infused with a little more imagination. But I still really like classic names, especially if they have a family history or personal significance. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

Hubby and I thought we were set on William Matthew (I know, that's about as un-out-there as you can get lol) but I have issues with it. For one, they are both horribly popular at the moment.

Then today he suggested Theoden (the king of Rohan in the Lord of the Rings trilogy). Pronounced THAY-o-din. I'm torn between "love it!" and "way too out there". What do you all think? 



 

post #348 of 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaylaBeanie View Post


I was chatting with my mother today and told her I like the name Willa for a girl and the names Hollis ...


I LOVE Willa and Hollis.  Seriously love.

 

post #349 of 592

Ooo, I really like Theoden. I've added that to our list... love.gif

post #350 of 592

I think I'd really name this one Indiana.. which is where DH & I grew up, raised, went to school, etc....

 

 

The problem? My second son is Harrison.. so I know we'd TOTALLY get the "Oh you really like Indiana Jones right??" Harrison Ford starred as Indiana Jones.. lol

 

 

So we are using it as the middle name instead.

post #351 of 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieL View Post

We're thinking about Odin. Norse god, father of thor, etc. I'm not sure if we could do it. It seems almost pretentious to name my kid a god? lol.gif



I always thought it was awesome that two of my (half-Chinese) cousins are named Freya and Thor.  thumb.gif

post #352 of 592

What about Liam, the diminuative form of William? DH's grandfather was WIlliam and we named our ds Liam, sort of after him winky.gif

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglebugmom View Post

Hubby and I thought we were set on William Matthew (I know, that's about as un-out-there as you can get lol) but I have issues with it. For one, they are both horribly popular at the moment.

Then today he suggested Theoden (the king of Rohan in the Lord of the Rings trilogy). Pronounced THAY-o-din. I'm torn between "love it!" and "way too out there". What do you all think? 



 

post #353 of 592
Thread Starter 

Liam's horribly popular at the moment too, at least here in NZ - it was our top contender for DS until we found out it was the number-one boy name last year.

 

I like Theoden (I am a LOTR geek though), but would you put the accent mark over the E or not? If you do it makes form-filling and so on much harder, but if you don't it annoys purists. Like me. :p Plus it encourages the pronunciation "thee-oden", instead of "thay-oden". I really love the name Eowyn (with the accent, I just can't figure out how to type it - case in point!), but the accent issue put me off it.

post #354 of 592

We both really want to name this baby (a girl) Indigo - I love the way it sounds and looks, but it really doesn't go with the boys (Alexander and Julian), and I'm worried it won't age well.  

 

post #355 of 592


We have also been thinking about Indigo. My husband loves it (and he doesn't love many names)!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigellas View Post

We both really want to name this baby (a girl) Indigo - I love the way it sounds and looks, but it really doesn't go with the boys (Alexander and Julian), and I'm worried it won't age well.  

 



 

post #356 of 592

i know an adult named Indigo and it wears very nice, i think it is a good balanced name

post #357 of 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaRa7 View Post

What about Liam, the diminuative form of William? DH's grandfather was WIlliam and we named our ds Liam, sort of after him winky.gif

 



 


We talked about that, but the popularity put me off, as did the fact that one of DD1's friends is named Liam. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

Liam's horribly popular at the moment too, at least here in NZ - it was our top contender for DS until we found out it was the number-one boy name last year.

 

I like Theoden (I am a LOTR geek though), but would you put the accent mark over the E or not? If you do it makes form-filling and so on much harder, but if you don't it annoys purists. Like me. :p Plus it encourages the pronunciation "thee-oden", instead of "thay-oden". I really love the name Eowyn (with the accent, I just can't figure out how to type it - case in point!), but the accent issue put me off it.


I really like it with the accent, but since I swapped my good old Dutch keyboard for a North-American one, I can't figure out how to place an accent over a vowel anymore. I had the same issue with the name Therese, in case this was a girl. I really prefer it with the accents (two in that case, one in each direction) but have no idea how to get it on the screen that way!

I think I would take the red tape hassle that it brings with it, and anywhere I have to write it out, I would put the accent. I'd have to instruct DH to do that too, especially when he goes to register the birth! I can totally see him forgetting about it, or not even noticing. With my oldest, I wrote it down exactly the way I wanted it spelled (Arwen Johanna, I was afraid he would leave out the h in her middle name), I think I will do that again, just to be sure. 

post #358 of 592

Smokering, I found this online, thought you might like to bookmark it as well: how to type accents.

Let me see if it works: Théoden. Yay!

post #359 of 592

Weirdly enough I'm too chicken to name my children common names. We really liked the name Emma at one point, but then I found out it was #3 on a name list so it was thrown out.

 

I really like the name Lila, but our last name starts with an L. My mother had a similar situation with her maiden name Fay F(lastname), so I guess maybe I should ask her opinion? Maybe I make too big of a deal out of double initials?

 

Our daughter is Dea (dee-ah) and I love that no one has ever heard of her name before. Sometimes they try to pronounce it Dee, but it's easily corrected. Really, who would think the A is silent? If we have a boy (currently pregnant with #2), it'll be Gideon. We're not religious, but my husband has always loved the name.

post #360 of 592

Oh and I love the name Ginny from Harry Potter, but I'm not so sure I'm hot on Ginerva.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: I'm Pregnant
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › I'm Pregnant › What names are you too chicken to name your babies?