I would like to grow veggies primarily, and don't know much about the process at all. I do have a copy of Growing Veg West of the Cascades, which does have a lot of good information, but tbh, I need something more basic. I'm looking for a book that will lay it out for me in a VERY straightforward manner, something along the lines of:
1. In February, lime your soil. Half an inch on the top of the soil (or some such thing; the West of the Cascades book says 1 tonne/acre -- what does that mean, really, in a yard???)
2. Fertilize using xyz fertilizer. Or your compost, or whatever you should use.
3. A list of veggies that can be planted by month. A list of their requirements (full sun, partial sun, extra water, extra fertilizer, whatever)
4. When those veggies can be harvested
5. What to do to maintain the veggie beds year after year.
Does anyone have any suggestions? I would love to learn all about the chemistry of the soil etc, but first I need some very very basic knowledge.