Originally Posted by dakotablue
The problem is with GBS I need to be at the hospital long enough for the antibiotics to work, otherwise they will keep the baby for at least 48 hours.
This happened to me. Of all the options, it's not the worst thing in the world. Assuming you're not planning to birth in a horrific hospital that does stuff like required nursery time (and I believe such things are VERY rare now), it's not all that bad. Sure, it wasn't ideal, but it was fine. Definitely preferable to induction, if I were to weigh those 2 scenarios.
That being said, I actually believe in the risk-based protocol they follow in the UK. If I test GBS+ again, I won't bother to do anything about it at all unless I develop a 2nd risk factor (& the positive swab is only 1 risk factor.) & if I were worried, I go with Hibiclens anyway. (I'd personally only go with antibiotics in the case of + swab combined with either prematurity or maternal fever.)
Of course, the hospital is NOT going to be cool with you doing hibiclens instead of antibiotics. I was also told by this UAV nurse in my hospital-based MW's office that, "There is no point in getting retested. Even if you test -, they are still going to treat you as if you're +." (Her exact words.)
No, sweetie, what you mean to say is, 'They are going to recommend you be treated as if you're + anyway.' They can't just do whatever they want and pump whatever drugs they want into my veins without my consent, you #&)@."
But I digress. I suspect that view is common - since GBS comes & goes, if you test + at 36W and retest - at 38 or 39W, they still might think antibiotics are in order. Obviously, as we've all said, you certainly can decline, just be aware it's something they're likely to disagree with you on. If you have a supportive team - hopefully at least 2 people like a DP and doula - you just have to stand up for your bodily integrity. (Oh, also in that case be prepared to fight against preemptive treatments & tests for baby.)
I also wouldn't stress too much about being worried about going late. I went to 41W4D & was kinda freaking out & I remember my doula saying, "Try to relax. Stress inhibits labor." & I felt like she was saying, "It is sorta YOUR FAULT you're not in labor if you don't stop worrying about it." Which really made me seething mad. While I believe it's true that extreme stress absolutely will inhibit labor, I don't think feeling stressed because you desperately WANT to be in labor is quite the same thing!
So I wouldn't beat yourself up. The wait sucks. Plain & simple - it's miserable just waiting & waiting - knowing you're going to face induction pressures (sure, you can say 'no' but it's still something you have to face). The last thing you need is to feel guilty for being frustrated on top of it! I think we're all perfectly entitled to be frustrated at the end- just try to 'be gentle with yourself' & not beat yourself up.