I am expecting my first noodle in April and have started making a birth plan. I am pasting it below and would also appreciate feedback on how to make a baby's chart in case I get separated from baby.
This is basically the birth 'plan' I'd have nurses and unknown docs/midwives read. But basically, I plan to give birth with a midwife at henry ford in west bloomfield and am using hypnonbabies but want to be prepared for anything. The 2nd page is basically what I'd prefer in case of any complications. I also put little hearts on the actual printout so it stands out.
Our Birth Preferences
Mom: deleted for privacy (DOB_)
Dad: deleted for privacy
Thank for being part of this very special time. We would be greatly honored if you would cooperate with the following preferences and let us know if you have any questions/concerns:
- Mom may be involved in deep hypnosis at times. Therefore we prefer medical discussion be directed in private with Dad (unless Mom’s immediate involvement is required).
- Please avoid use of words such as ‘pain’, ‘contraction’, ‘hard labor’, ‘caesarian’, ‘induction’, ‘pitocin’, ‘failure to progress’, etc: first, privately talk to Dad if such words are needed.
- Mom would love a fairly private and quiet birthing experience; please prevent resident doctors, students, unapproved visitors, and unnecessary staff from entering the room;
- Please keep vaginal exams to the required minimum
- Discuss membrane rupturing with dad first and only if it’s really needed.
- No offer of drugs/induction/breaking water/Etc. prior to private discussion with Dad.
- No IV/heplock unless required.
- Doppler fetal monitoring only when necessary
- If you have non-medical methods to help in Mom’s progress, feel free to mention them.
- Please maintain a relaxed, positive, and calm atmosphere with dim lights and low voices.
- Mom’s choice of birthing position
- Spontaneous Bearing Down
- I would prefer to tear over episiotomy, but please use compresses, massage and positioning, Etc, and Local Anesthesia for repairs.
- Do not suction if baby has started breathing unassisted /only if really necessary.
- Delay the cord cutting as long as possible (offer to Dad first).
- Baby immediately to mom’s chest to breastfeed.
- Perform all possible exams/procedures on mom and otherwise involve Dad
- Baby to stay in room at all times.
- Let mom and dad give baby’s first bath.
- No eye meds/erythromycin, no vitamin K shot, no Vaccinations or injections.
- Do not retract the foreskin if it’s a boy.
- PKU test to be performed in mom’s arms
~Please see next page for medical necessities or emergencies~
Part 2: Medical Necessities
Mom: Natasha Verma DOB 12-22-77
Dad: Vikram Verma
In case baby needs special care:
- Allow dad to attend any medical procedures required if mom cannot also attend
- Please help me Breastfeed ASAP: No formula, pacifiers or glucose water unless provided by mom.
- No procedures performed without fully informed parental consent unless it’s an emergency.
Pain relief we prefer:
Walking epidural and/or Medications that don’t cause sleepiness
Alternate positions (such as all fours)
Prefer vaccum rather than forceps
Prefer alternative to cytotec if induction is needed
Prefer tearing and support of perineum than having episiotomy
In case cord is around neck, simply and calmly pull it away.
Don’t flick babie’s feet, spank or use unnecessary recussitation
* Spinal/epidural anesthesia
* Partner present
* Doula present
* Screen lowered to view the birth or mirror
* Free one hand to touch the baby
* Partner to cut the cord
* Breast feeding in recovery room
- Do not sew up uterus in plain view of mom
- Dad should be involved and present in any procedures.