Oh, I think my DS would love a rainbow people mover!
Things that have been big for us in the three months since his birthday:
- a good, real drum made for children, other real but toddler-sized instruments
- Duplo blocks (we play with these a lot!), plus Duplo people and vehicles
- wooden unit blocks (DS got a big set of Haba blocks for Christmas) or alphabet blocks (I got a good deal on some Uncle Goose blocks so I got three sets...he loves them and they're made in the USA)
- play kitchen, pots, pans, dishes...our best play food comes from the recycling container!
- simple wooden puzzle
- anything that has wheels
- bath tub toys (our favorites are from Boon and Green Toys)
- jumbo crayons, stickers
- books, books, books
We just got a ride on toy from his grandma that, at 15 months, my DS is just able to reach the floor on, and he's 75th percentile for height, so if you get one now it might be a toy to grow into. But my son absolutely loves his fire chief's car. He also got to test drive a Cozy Coupe at a play area last week and that was apparently pretty awesome, too.