or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Mental Health › Have spent so much money on supplements for anxiety.....almost headed to get some meds...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Have spent so much money on supplements for anxiety.....almost headed to get some meds... - Page 3

post #41 of 105

Hey, I read that adrenal fatigue can cause all those symptoms. As for supplements, have you ever had any mineral hair analysis done? It really shows a good picture of what your body is missing. According to that, you would be prescribed supplements. Also, the truth about supplements is that if you are deficient, they will only start kicking in after about 2 years of taking them. You are taking too much vitamin C - I've heard that some people are too sensitive to it.

 

Also, medical marijuana might be smth to consider. Has been around for ages.

 

It seems like your body has lost the ability to relax. It is always in the state of alert - mental and physical. Sometimes it goes in that mode for years, and you would need a professional who addresses that. 

post #42 of 105
You are doing a good thing. Good luck and remember you are not alone. The medication can keep you calm while you work on other tools to deal with your panic. Be kind to yourself.
hug.gif
post #43 of 105

I am so glad you had such a nice doctor to help you today :)

 

I really hope they help :) I loved ativan, and still make sure I have at least a few .5mg around for those sneaky panic attacks. (and for dentist visits!! LOL)

 

:hugs

 

You can PM me anytime you need to talk :)

post #44 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post

I am so glad you had such a nice doctor to help you today :)

 

I really hope they help :) I loved ativan, and still make sure I have at least a few .5mg around for those sneaky panic attacks. (and for dentist visits!! LOL)

 

:hugs

 

You can PM me anytime you need to talk :)


 

I was actually perscribed 1 mg ativan.  I asked the pharmacist if I could cut it in half, and she said I could try...but they are really tiny.  Not sure if all ativan are sublingual, but these ones are.  I'm going to start the SSRI tonight when DH gets home, too scared to take it when I'm home alone with my kids.

post #45 of 105

What really saved me was "From Panic to Power."  I only bought the book, not the rest of the stuff.  It really spoke to me and helped me recover from panic disorder.

post #46 of 105
Thread Starter 

Well so far so good.  Took my first 5 mg cipralex tablet this morning.  I panicked when I first took it, but I called my sis and she talked me down.  I have had a tiny bit of nausea on and off throughout the day and felt a little bit spacey at times, but defenitely only a 1 out of 10 for side effects.  Hopefully it doesn't get worse!  But I'm confident I'm on the road to recovery.

post #47 of 105

When I stared my anti-depressant, I was most nauseated on the 3rd or 4th day, but by the 6th I felt normal, and was actually already feeling less depressed, I stayed on it for almost 6 months :)

 

Good luck, rest, drink, and eat :)

post #48 of 105
Thread Starter 

Day 2 - Yesterday was good.  I had such a restless sleep though.  My body was so tired, but my mind just wouldn't go to sleep.  I had a bit of nausea on and off throughout the day, but very mild.  There were a couple of moments where it felt like I was going to have a panic attack but they only lasted about 2 or 3 seconds and the feelings sizzled.  It was so strange.  Other than the insomnia and mild nausea I have had no other side effects.

post #49 of 105
Thread Starter 

Day 3.  5 mg cipralex

 

I slept sooooooooooooo much better last night!  I still woke up a couple of times but I was still able to fall back asleep quickly.  I went grocery shopping and had a panic attack but instead of lasting quite a long time, it fizzled after about 2 minutes.  I just ignored it and kept shopping instead of running like I'd normally do.  I had mild nausea throughout the day and diarrhea, but those are the only side effects.  I've also had this weird thing going on with my body.  I normally get anxious late afternoon and past few days I've noticed that I get these waves where it feels like a really hot liquid is going throughout my  body.  It doesn't hurt, isn't uncomfortable, just feels kind of strange.  Any ideas?

post #50 of 105
Thread Starter 

Day 4.  5 mg cipralex.

 

Yesterday was a good day!  Slept so much better again, almost back to my regular sleeping routine!  No nausea at all.  No diarrhea.  I've lost 5 lbs since starting, but I notice that my appetite has decreased quite a bit.  I can afford to lose 30 lbs though, so I'm not worried about it.  DH and I went to a party last night and I was a bit panicky when we first got there, but soon it settled down and I was able to relax and enjoy myself.  Usually I could last an hour or so in a social situation, but DH and i were there for just over 8 hours!!!  It felt nice to get out and chat with people.  :)

post #51 of 105

YAY!!! This sounds AWESOME!!!

 

As for the warm feeling, I get that when I have kind of a rush of adrenaline, usually as I'm calming (on my own) from a panic attack. But I don't know for sure, that's just what I've assumed it is over time.

 

 

post #52 of 105
Thread Starter 

Day 5.  5 mg cipralex.

 

Yesterday was good again.  Zero nausea.  A bit of diarrhea.  I go up to 10 mg tommorow and I'm a bit nervous, but I'm sure all will be ok!  

post #53 of 105
Thread Starter 

Day 6.  10 mg cipralex.

 

Today I went up to 10 mg.  I had some mild nausea throughout the day and a splitting headache that started about 1 1/2 hours after I took the pill.  I was scared to take a tylonol or anything, so I just toughed it out and went to bed early.  I had a few periods of anxiety today, but nothing compared to the anxiety I was feeling before.  It seems like my body wants to go into a panic attack because I feel that warmth in my body and my stomach churns a little bit, but then it fizzles.  It's so strange.  

post #54 of 105
Thread Starter 

Day 7.  10 mg cipralex.

 

All is good.  No nausea.  No headache.  No panic.  Few minor anxious moments, but didn't even phase me.  First time I'm glad that there's nothing to report.  YIPEEE!  

post #55 of 105

just read through the whole thread and was really glad you decided to try prescription meds, and glad that they are working for you.  i had a similar experience where i resisted meds for so long, trying everything under the sun, and in the end the only thing that helped bring me out from my panic attacks was getting onto an ssri.  i had so many issues about being on medications, because i really wanted not to be, but ultimately have had to come to terms with the fact that my body up to now is not able to function comfortably without them.  in order for me to be present for my family, i need to stay on these meds, and being able to be there for my kids and husband, and enjoy them, is so worth it.  i think some of the other supplements, like b-vitamins, fish oil, vit-c, magnesium, etc. are going to be useful for you as you recover from this (just don't do the 5http to avoid serotonin syndrome) - your body has been on edge for a while, and you will need some time to get back to yourself.  best wishes as you go through this process, and be kind to yourself. 

post #56 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by alison77 View Post

just read through the whole thread and was really glad you decided to try prescription meds, and glad that they are working for you.  i had a similar experience where i resisted meds for so long, trying everything under the sun, and in the end the only thing that helped bring me out from my panic attacks was getting onto an ssri.  i had so many issues about being on medications, because i really wanted not to be, but ultimately have had to come to terms with the fact that my body up to now is not able to function comfortably without them.  in order for me to be present for my family, i need to stay on these meds, and being able to be there for my kids and husband, and enjoy them, is so worth it.  i think some of the other supplements, like b-vitamins, fish oil, vit-c, magnesium, etc. are going to be useful for you as you recover from this (just don't do the 5http to avoid serotonin syndrome) - your body has been on edge for a while, and you will need some time to get back to yourself.  best wishes as you go through this process, and be kind to yourself. 


Thank you!  :hugs

 

post #57 of 105
Thread Starter 

Day 8.  10 mg cipralex

 

Not so good update from day 8.  :(  All was going well in the morning.  Woke up, had breakfast, took my pill, cleaned house for about an hour (very unusual for me to WANT to clean!!!).  I sat down to watch some tv with my 5 year old and BOOM, instant panic.  My whole chest felt like it was on fire.  I was dripping with sweat, palms were sweaty, heart was racing, dizziness, diarrhea, felt like I was going to vomit.  I was VERY VERY VERY close to calling 911 because I really felt like I was dying.  I've never had a panic attack that was that bad.  I had waves of very similar panic attacks for the next 3 hours until it finally let up a bit.  I was very tired after that and wanted to sleep so bad, but DH was at work and I was home with my 5 year old who has a cold.  During the attack I debated taking an ativan, but I've never taken it before so was just scared of either having a reaction to it or it putting me to sleep.  For the rest of the day I was on edge with fear that another attack would come on.  I ended up just going to bed at 9 because I was just done with the day.  Woke up this morning (day 9) with nausea and just feeling anxious again.  Blah.  This sucks.

post #58 of 105
hug.gif Maybe you could 'test out' the ativan while your DH is home (even if you aren't having a panic attack) so that you'll be more comfortable taking it when you need it?
post #59 of 105

Did you ever drink alcohol? For me I equate an ativan to being like one or two drinks depending on taking .5 mg or 1mg.

 

you might be a little sleepy, a little dizzy, you might feel a little "high" but over all will be WAAAAAAAY less stressful on your body. Definitely try one out when dh is around and you need one, if 1 mg is too much, call for a .5 mg rx!

post #60 of 105
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Breeze View Post

Did you ever drink alcohol? For me I equate an ativan to being like one or two drinks depending on taking .5 mg or 1mg.

 

you might be a little sleepy, a little dizzy, you might feel a little "high" but over all will be WAAAAAAAY less stressful on your body. Definitely try one out when dh is around and you need one, if 1 mg is too much, call for a .5 mg rx!


I used to drink a lot in my teenage years, but haven't had a drink in a few years now.  I got a perscription for 1 mg, but i split one in half and put it back in the bottle in case I ever need one.

 

I'll try one out when DH is home.  Today I had a few periods of mild anxiety, but nothing bad.  Still a little put off by yesterday though.  :(

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mental Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Mental Health › Have spent so much money on supplements for anxiety.....almost headed to get some meds...