Good for you in finding a new care provider, Valerie! I'm sorry you had a bad appointment but it's good to know those answers up front in the beginning. I hope you love your midwife!
I just got back from my 16 week appt. I swear their scale is wrongits always 3+lbs heavier than mine at home. Oh well, I'm still 10lbs less now than I was when I got pg with DS so at least Im ahead of that. the FHR was lower this time. Her doppler didn't read a number but it sounded like 120-130 to me. I'm feeling lots of movement now and if I'm laying just right I can even feel it on the outside. It's still really surreal and strange to have one baby and imagine life with another.
I'm also still really struggling with how I'm hoping my labor will go. Part of me really wants to just "accidentally" deliver at home and part of me wants to be at the hospital just in case and so they dont cut the cord right off. What I've read shows that waiting for 60 sec vs immediate clamping gives a benefit but more than that doesn't give much added benefit. My OB will wait for awhile but not for too long. I'm not really sure how I'm going to resolve what to do. I'm reading Birthing From Within right now but then tomorrow I'll go to work (L&D Nurse) so I see both sides all the time and it just makes me more conflicted. I know that evidence shows that homebirth is safe but then I'll see a totally normal labor and the baby comes out in secondary apnea.
Sorry for the long winded rant. I'm sure it wont be the last as I struggle with this decision. OR maybe babe will just make the decision for me.
Good for you, Valarie. Congrats on going forward with the homebirth and for firing your OB. He sounds kind of whiny and incompetent. Waaa poor me, can't sew a not straight line, can't catch a baby if it's not just so...Oh puuulease. Loser.
Jenica - Totally understandable to feel conflicted about where you give birth. I am keenly aware of unexpected problems happening during low risk deliveries, it's frightening and scary. My mom worked in L&D for a long time and reallllly struggled with my decision to have a homebirth. One thing, for both my mom and me, that made it easier was my midwife. She has tons of experience and is not afraid to transfer if necessary. So many things that go wrong present signs early enough to transfer safely, provided that the midwife knows her stuff. Also, lots of emergencies the midwives are fully capable of handling on their own so that's good too. Anyway, during my homebirth I really can't imagine leaving my space to go to the hospital. Being at home was so absolutely natural and normal and just where I needed to be. I hope you're able to make a decision that you're happy with.
I'd suggest doing research on GBS +.
With all the M/W's i've seen the testing is optional. If you decide to test then the MW may get a good course of probiotics (and other herbs/supplements) going to get rid of it. My last MW recommended a hibiclense rinse early in actice labor (before the water breaks? can't remember). Some MW's also have antibiotics on hand if the client chooses to use them.
Fetal age, early rupture of membranes, fever, etc can all affect decisions regarding a GBS positive mom in labor.
I took probiotics which balance out all the bacteria in your gut and vagina ... it really helps with yeast as well. I did not test positive for GBS. Also, I think 36 weeks is too early to test for GBS for most momma's...why not wait till 37 or 38 weeks when you're closer to delivery?
I don't think antibiotics are fool proof or a good way to treat for GBS! Any of us could be resistant to certain antibiotics and not know it!
We found out today we're having another baby boy! Interestingly...even though I didn't have a strong feeling about gender either way...I feel very confused. I think subconsciously I wanted a girl. I think it probably has to do with my DS1 being my baby boy...now I'll have another boy. It's weird. I didn't expect to have any feeling other than joy, which I am joyful, but a tad bit thrown too.
Annnyway...We almost skipped out on the u/s because during check-in they were insisting we pay upfront for the scan (about $2k) although our insurance plan requires providers to submit the visit and then bill us, at which point we pay out of our HSA account. This ensures that we are paying the agreed upon "negotiated" rate, and don't have to go back for reimbursement. This was a problem for us, mostly because we didn't have the checks, don't want to have to mess around with reimbursements, and that's not our insurance policy (or so we thought). We ended up leaving during check in with me crying like a baby, then sitting in the car for a bit, calling the insurance and them telling us "Well, that's our policy but we don't enforce it." ugh, then thinking about doing no u/s at all, then finally deciding to go back in and do it. The people in the office were all super nice, one of the ladies even offered to pay for the visit until we could go home and get our HSA checks. It was definitely not how I expected the appointment to go but...well, all is done and we've met our deductible for the year...so I guess there's that. After the u/s they gave us a cd with the all the pictures, and the final report. The report says "EDD by u/s is 7/8/11" and "EDD by LMP is 7/17/11" so we'll see. Oh, and it says everything looks good, which was the whole point of the u/s anyway.
All - Very interesting info about the GBS. That's scary about the woman that was treated having her baby getting GBS anyway. How super sad. I guess there really are no guarantees about anything.
HI mama's and mama's to be!
Its been so long since ive checked in :( We had a very terrible January with a lot of extended family related stress (I will spare you all the details). The stress and shock was too much to handle and my bp went through the roof and I started to have cramps :( it looked like we were going into preterm labour, but luckily my Dr was able to deal with it with drugs and now a month later everything with the baby is good, his/her little heart rate isn't elevated anymore and im feeling a lot better.
Im still hoping for a VBAC but at my last appointment my Dr suggested that I have another csection; im going to talk to him more about it at the next appointment and get more details on why he feels like way (I do have a pretty good idea why already).
Tomorrow is our u/s, im 21.5 weeks along now and we'll find out what we're having! yay!
I hope to get caught up with everyone real soon :)
A woman I know lost her baby to gbs and had a homebirth. She didn't do antibiotics, she did all the alternative treatments. She is now a big advocate of the antibiotics.
In Ontario, MWs can bring the antibiotics to a homebirth and administer them at home (of course with an informed consent discussion). Usually done with a hep lock so the bag can be taken away and you are free to move as you wish. Naturopathic doctors in my area also recommend a preventative treatment of garlic vag suppositories (just tie a little string to the garlic so you can find it again). Many will also suggest probiotics to assist.
We are at 21 weeks now. Last week at my MW visit my blood pressure was 130/80...but I was so stressed about getting the test results. I went to see my naturopath two days ago and my blood pressure was 110/70. I love my midwife, it is simply my anxiety of there bring a problem that is freaking me out. The ND suggested rescue remedy to help me deal with some of it and will recommend a homeopathic to take as well. Fundal height was 21.5 last week and all the test results were amazing. Just have to keep up the exercise, healthy eating, and good sleep!