I have no experience being a mama yet (tons of exp with kids, but it's different when they're YOURS, I think), I'm waiting on stuff like bouncers and swings until I meet the babe in May, but here's what's on my current want/need list:
(guess I should also mention we're in a relatively small apartment and pretty minimalist [quality over quanitity] and crunchy)
- Carriers - Moby wrap (or similar) for me, Ergo baby with insert for DP (we'll probably get a second Ergo if/when the Moby becomes uncomfortable or too small)
- no stoller (we HATE strollers with a passion... sorry)
- no car seat (no car - we walk and take public transportation everywhere, and can rent a seat when we NEED one)
- cloth diapers - we're probably going to get a sampling of one-size fuzzibunz, bumgenius, bummis, and some pre-folds, maybe the jillian's diaper try cloth for $10? and then probably purchase more of what we like - we'll see how EC is going too ;)
- wipes - cloth wipes with homemade solution
- diaper bag - Red Oxx bordeaux gator bag (expensive, but SO worth it) - doesn't look like a "diaper bag" & is usable for decades - HUGE plus for me!
- changing pad - I like the skip hop pronto changer - will fit in almost any bag, or can be taken around on its own - might need 2 or 3 - one that stays at home, one in my bag, one in DP's bag?
- wetbag - a MUST for cloth diapering, we liked the designs and reviews of the Planet Wise diaper bag for traveling, plus something larger to go inside a lidded garbage can at home.
- washing/soaking supplies - debating the sprayer that attaches to toilet and/or a good soak bucket.
we're not planning on using creams/powders/whatever unless there's an issue that requires them - if we do, we'll use burt's bees or another natural product. Also, we decided a changing table is not necessary - any flat surface covered with a towel and/or changing pad (even my closet dresser drawers!) will do!
- shirts - about 10 short and 5 long sleeved
- onesies - probably not so many of these, since we'd like to at least try EC
- pants - not sure if we even NEED to get these - again, planning on doing EC - baby will be swaddled or running around w/cute diapers or pantsless a lot, we think.
- PJs - a set or two, hopefully something cute but not gender specific.
- hats/socks/gloves - a well-meaning friend/relative will most likely give us a cutesy set that includes some, but we weren't planning on buying any until we meet the kid and see if they like them.
- jackets/sweaters? - a light jacket and/or sweaters might be necessary (5/5 due date), but I'm thinking just rely on swaddling?
- blankets - we'll need these for swaddling - lots of swaddling!
- cute outfits - I mean, the kid's going to be adorable on their own, but one or two "prestige" outfits would be cool.
we're still looking for good BOLD and/or gender neutral colors - ruby red, sapphire blue, emerald green, a golden yellow, royal purple, burgundy, black, browns, creams, etc. gender neutral and no stupid writing/emblems if we can help it. (but I can be a sucker for frogs and monkeys, sesame street and scifi). Seriously considering just getting a bunch of white cotton ones and dying them colors we love :)
- BOOBIES! (natural breast cream, washable breast pads - no boppy yet - gonna go with what nature intended for now)
- medela breast pump (PIS or freestyle - still deciding) - DP is going to be doing a lot of the feedings (I'll be a WOHM)
- glass bottles with silicone nipples - still picking brands.
- burp cloths/bibs
- extra soft washcloths/towels (I love the towels with built in hoods - teehee!)
- natural baby wash (don't have a brand picked, but I have a friend who sells natural products for a living - I'm going to hit up her inventory!)
- showerhead/sprayer on a hose (already in our tub) and/or cup to gently pour water over parts.
- nasal bulb syringe (included in our birth kit)
- anal thermometer (already have)
- natural lotions (will most likely use a coconut/olive oil concoction we mix ourselves)
- brush/comb/nail clippers - may or may not be needed (might have something we can use already)
Planning on using the sink/dish tub and/or bathing the kiddo with one or both of us in the tub - minimal products for that soft baby skin, and MUST renew infant/baby CPR cert!
- our bed - we'll have a spot in our room for the kid to sleep if it's necessary (pack'n'play or crib), but co-sleeping just makes sense to us.
- pack 'n' play - still trying to find one that has minimal plasticky junk and nothing electronic on it...
- maaaaybe an IKEA crib that converts to a bed (but not sure if it's necessary OR where we'd put it)
- post-partum pads (cloth for me - I'll probably order from LisaJaney at www.tlc-pads.com where I purchased regular pads several years ago)
- peri bottle/toilet sprayer (probably want the peri bottle even if we HAVE the toilet sprayer - can pop it in the bag when going out)
- salves/creams/etc. for healing, stretch marks
- nursing bras (nipple cream, washable breast pads)
- nursing tops?
- music - something calming for breast feeding
- belly binding supplies
- books galore - books on: EC, vax, infant swimming, books to read out loud (hobbit & narnia to start the kid off - lol!)
- daddy to babysit so I can workout (I can't wait to do situps and pushups again - crazy, huh?)
Hmm, I think that's everything... and well, if FEELS minimalist, but when I write it out, it seems like a lot of stuff - lol!