or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › What helps you maintain tidyness?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What helps you maintain tidyness? - Page 2

post #21 of 29
Thread Starter 

She does have her own little broom that I even made a shorter handle for. We check periodically to see if she's got the coordination for it yet (i.e. she goes to get her broom to "help" while I'm sweeping). So far, no, no she doesn't. Her idea of "sweeping" is to use the broom like a shuffle board all through the pile I've just swept up. She's really enthusiastic When she can sweep, it's going to be great.

post #22 of 29

My little guys have small hand brooms that came with dust pans. Cheep Target brand version. Much easier then a regular broom even in smaller verison! Maybe a thought :) I know I havent had to sweep up a pile in a while lol. I always get mommy its my turn!!!

post #23 of 29
Thread Starter 

Possibly, it's already a pretty small broom though, about 10" wide at the widest point. And the handle comes up lower than her chest, so it's shorter to her than the regular broom is to me.

 

It also doesn't help matters that half the time she insists on using my full-size broom, but she isn't that much better with her small broom.

 

Really, she just needs to mature a bit. By the time she's 3 she'll be have it sorted out enough to practice and get better.

 

Meanwhile, the tray for snacks is really working.

 

And she's already very good about "we need to put away this toy first then we can get that toy." Sometimes she'll initiate that on her own even.

 

I need to mark on my calendar "menstruation sucks your energy, CLEAN NOW!!!" so I can get things all squared away before PMS knocks me on my rear. It's just astonishing how I feel now compared to a week ago. I need to remember to arrange things so I can just loaf during my low energy time and not end up with a ton to deal with when my energy finally comes back.


Cause I felt totally overwhelmed and really most people in this forum would look at what I'm whining about and would laugh.

post #24 of 29


Oh hunny I am right there with you. PMS puts me down for the count. I have even upped my vitamins and stuff and nothing helps. Its just ugh. I totally get ya.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

Possibly, it's already a pretty small broom though, about 10" wide at the widest point. And the handle comes up lower than her chest, so it's shorter to her than the regular broom is to me.

 

It also doesn't help matters that half the time she insists on using my full-size broom, but she isn't that much better with her small broom.

 

Really, she just needs to mature a bit. By the time she's 3 she'll be have it sorted out enough to practice and get better.

 

Meanwhile, the tray for snacks is really working.

 

And she's already very good about "we need to put away this toy first then we can get that toy." Sometimes she'll initiate that on her own even.

 

I need to mark on my calendar "menstruation sucks your energy, CLEAN NOW!!!" so I can get things all squared away before PMS knocks me on my rear. It's just astonishing how I feel now compared to a week ago. I need to remember to arrange things so I can just loaf during my low energy time and not end up with a ton to deal with when my energy finally comes back.


Cause I felt totally overwhelmed and really most people in this forum would look at what I'm whining about and would laugh.



 

post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommyofalmost6 View Post


Oh hunny I am right there with you. PMS puts me down for the count. I have even upped my vitamins and stuff and nothing helps. Its just ugh. I totally get ya.
 



 


Add me to the PMS low energy club....I get nothing done for a week before Aunt Flo arrives!

 

post #26 of 29

I have two approaches to this. The first one is to find something super light and simple that you love to use (like a mini vac or a hand vac) that you can aim to use daily (or maybe 2-3 times a week).

 

My other is to say nuts to devices and just take a tissue or what you can during some random time in the day and get the bulk of it. I sometimes find if I wait until I can do it perfectly it doens't get done whereas if I just do what I can when I can it at least gets it finished. Instead of lugging out a device and having a system, just take 3 seconds, get on your knees and get it done (I found I cleaned more if I just got on my knees and took care of the kitchen floor after doing dishes then grab a fresh dish cloth than I did when I tried to sweep first, then get the mop and bucket, etc. The latter may be more thorough, but the former gave insta-results and actually got done).

 

....and I apparently missed the fact that this thread had two pages. You may disregard this post since you've got it sorted out!

post #27 of 29
nod.gif I love this advice. And try to do the same thing. Little by little, clean up small messes before they become big. I really dislike lugging out devices.

[quote name="eirual"
Instead of lugging out a device and having a system, just take 3 seconds, get on your knees and get it done (I found I cleaned more if I just got on my knees and took care of the kitchen floor after doing dishes then grab a fresh dish cloth than I did when I tried to sweep first, then get the mop and bucket, etc. The latter may be more thorough, but the former gave insta-results and actually got done
post #28 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post

I have two approaches to this. The first one is to find something super light and simple that you love to use (like a mini vac or a hand vac) that you can aim to use daily (or maybe 2-3 times a week).

 

My other is to say nuts to devices and just take a tissue or what you can during some random time in the day and get the bulk of it. I sometimes find if I wait until I can do it perfectly it doens't get done whereas if I just do what I can when I can it at least gets it finished. Instead of lugging out a device and having a system, just take 3 seconds, get on your knees and get it done (I found I cleaned more if I just got on my knees and took care of the kitchen floor after doing dishes then grab a fresh dish cloth than I did when I tried to sweep first, then get the mop and bucket, etc. The latter may be more thorough, but the former gave insta-results and actually got done).

This is actually really helpful. I have all of dd's flats from when she was in diapers, if I just use one a day the floor will start to get and stay cleaner. And dd would be able to wipe at least a bit with another cloth which would occupy her and make the floor even more clean.
 

 

post #29 of 29

Living with minimal amount of stuff  in a small apartment (600 sf) & clean as you go. I always put away dirty dishes in dishwasher and hand wash pots and pans right away after dinner. We also have a small cordless vacuum that is easy to run for a quick clean-up. I'n not a particularly great housekeeper and this is the only thing that works for me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Organize & Declutter
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Organize & Declutter › What helps you maintain tidyness?