Dh just got a faculty position at UI Urbana/Champaign so my family is relocating around May/June of this year. We have two kids so I've got lots of questions about where to live, schools, pediatricians, grocery stores, and parenting groups.
I have done some preliminary searches and found the following things. I would love any other information, suggestions, or recommendations you have as well!
- Schools: our dd is 4 and will need some sort of preschool, half days preferably and a nice mix of play, structure, nature, and academic learning. Here are the schools I've found so far...
Montessori School in Savoy
Montessori Habitat School
Lab School in the Child Development Lab at UI
- Grocery Stores: we're vegetarians that eat mostly organic and local when we can get it
- Pediatricians: we do not vaccinate and would also love a doctor that is supportive of extended breastfeeding, co-sleeping, etc.
- Parenting Groups: AP, NP, buying clubs, playgroups, LLL, API, etc. What groups are active and welcoming?
LLL in Champaign
API in Peoria
Natural Family Living Yahoo Group in Champaign
Mothers and More Yahoo Group in Champaign
Attachment Parenting Meetup in Bloomington
The Champaign Urbana Parents Meetup
Urbana Champaign Holistic Health Meetup
- Neighborhoods: where to buy a house?? We are looking for a 4bd house with room for a garden.
We've heard of the "Faculty Ghetto" or "Professor Row" to the east of the University
What is the flavor of Urbana vs. Champaign?
Where are the new houses?
Where are the nice, remodeled older homes?
Recommendations for realtors that really know the area and can take care of business efficiently?
- Natural parenting stores? Baby carriers, cloth diapers, etc.?
- Weather: we live in Baltimore, MD right now... many months of cold and how much snow are we talking? :)
Thanks for all your help!!!