or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › working on some new thoughts
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

working on some new thoughts - Page 12

post #221 of 281

Thanks! I feel like I am stirring things up (in a good way) and my body is having a hard time adjusting. The headaches alone are rough. The stool stuff actually feels productive, just a bit much, if that makes sense.

post #222 of 281

We have been doing clay for a few weeks now? 

I energy tested some foods for my son, and it says that he can have apples, lemon and pineapple -- all strong yeses.  He proudly ate a third of an apple today.  He is my extremely atopic boy who've I worked with for years.  Pendulum said a  small no for coconut but that he will get it in the future.  So, hoping the food trials bear out the energytesting.

 

Also, I have seen our supplement needs go down.  THAT is a money saver.  smile.gif

post #223 of 281

Yay for money-savers!  Cell salts were a really nice one for saving us money, and long-term I hope the clay and probiotics do as well.  Plus that whole being healthier thing.  ;-)


 

post #224 of 281

Recieved the new probiotics from Custom Probiotics on Friday.  It contains 5 strains that DS had tested strengthened by using muscle testing. I am so excited to be giving him the strains he really needs!   I gave him the baby dose on Friday afternoon as soon as we recieved it.  He pooped Friday night (it had been since last Sunday so he was way over due anyway).  He took another baby dose this morning and pooped again tonight.  I can't remember when he pooped two days in a row with such "normal" consistency poops (still very soft but not watery anymore). He has been taking 1t of hydrated clay 2x per day.  He is not having any die off symptoms yet but I am planning to stay at this dose of probiotics for a couple more days (25 billion cells).  I am having him tested for dosing on the probiotics on Monday so will wait on this dose at least until then.  I am scared to get too excited about this as I have had my hopes up before.  I have been praying to be guided to the right plan to heal him and feel strongly that we are truely onto something now with the new probiotics and increasing the dose.  His yeasty rash is gone, though I did break down and treat with nystatin ointment 3x.  It has not come back though despite stopping the nystatin a few days ago.  He is sleeping great again and back to being peacefully night weaned (!!!).  He also agreed to sit on the potty chair WITHOUT a diaper on!  Is this my kid?!  He said, "See Mommy, now I want to do potty training too!"  OK, then. 

 

Questions...

 

The suggestions that came with the probiotic said to give first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, wait 30 minutes then eat.

 

I have been giving him the clay with his breakfast.  Is this ok so close to the probiotic?  I feel like it's ok... give the probiotic which goes in and crowds out the bad bugs then follow with the clay to absorb and flush it out.  Is this the right idea?  I don't want the clay to sweep out the good probiotics. 

 

I am enjoying reading about everyone's experiences with introducing clay.  Has anyone else started increasing probiotic dosage yet and how far have you gone so far?  I and my girls are also taking the clay and the same probiotics.  We are all more regular but none of us have the severity of problems that DS does so he gets most of the typing time.  One thing I have noticed.  DD1 (11 year old)  has extremely dry skin on her hands.  It is red and chapped and burns.  It did not start until she started the clay.  Maybe the clay is dehydrating her a bit and she needs to drink more?  Maybe it is not related at all but weird that it started around the same time. 

 

Jennifer

post #225 of 281
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireWithin View Post

We have been doing clay for a few weeks now? 

I energy tested some foods for my son, and it says that he can have apples, lemon and pineapple -- all strong yeses.  He proudly ate a third of an apple today.  He is my extremely atopic boy who've I worked with for years.  Pendulum said a  small no for coconut but that he will get it in the future.  So, hoping the food trials bear out the energytesting.

 

Also, I have seen our supplement needs go down.  THAT is a money saver.  smile.gif


this was one of my main goals when I started experimenting with this particular protocol.  I've seen people reduce needs with both clay and cell salts (they're doing *similar* things) and wanted healing to be simple, accessible and not cost an arm and a leg.  As I've said before the biochem stuff is interesting and fun, but I firmly believe that it's a bandaid and what I'm looking to do is normalize.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

Yay for money-savers!  Cell salts were a really nice one for saving us money, and long-term I hope the clay and probiotics do as well.  Plus that whole being healthier thing.  ;-)


 


Yup!  Cell salts and clay-mother's best friends!  Honestly, if you looked in my purse at any point you'd see what I carry, and have carried for years.  Don't leave home without 'em!  Cell salts, remedies, 2 tinctures, emergency/rescue essences and clay.  I usually have l liquid oxygen as well.  My bag isn't even all that big!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismom View Post

Recieved the new probiotics from Custom Probiotics on Friday.  It contains 5 strains that DS had tested strengthened by using muscle testing. I am so excited to be giving him the strains he really needs!   I gave him the baby dose on Friday afternoon as soon as we recieved it.  He pooped Friday night (it had been since last Sunday so he was way over due anyway).  He took another baby dose this morning and pooped again tonight.  I can't remember when he pooped two days in a row with such "normal" consistency poops (still very soft but not watery anymore). He has been taking 1t of hydrated clay 2x per day.  He is not having any die off symptoms yet but I am planning to stay at this dose of probiotics for a couple more days (25 billion cells).  I am having him tested for dosing on the probiotics on Monday so will wait on this dose at least until then.  I am scared to get too excited about this as I have had my hopes up before.  I have been praying to be guided to the right plan to heal him and feel strongly that we are truely onto something now with the new probiotics and increasing the dose.  His yeasty rash is gone, though I did break down and treat with nystatin ointment 3x.  It has not come back though despite stopping the nystatin a few days ago.  He is sleeping great again and back to being peacefully night weaned (!!!).  He also agreed to sit on the potty chair WITHOUT a diaper on!  Is this my kid?!  He said, "See Mommy, now I want to do potty training too!"  OK, then. 

 

Questions...

 

The suggestions that came with the probiotic said to give first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, wait 30 minutes then eat.

 

I have been giving him the clay with his breakfast.  Is this ok so close to the probiotic?  I feel like it's ok... give the probiotic which goes in and crowds out the bad bugs then follow with the clay to absorb and flush it out.  Is this the right idea?  I don't want the clay to sweep out the good probiotics. 

 

I am enjoying reading about everyone's experiences with introducing clay.  Has anyone else started increasing probiotic dosage yet and how far have you gone so far?  I and my girls are also taking the clay and the same probiotics.  We are all more regular but none of us have the severity of problems that DS does so he gets most of the typing time.  One thing I have noticed.  DD1 (11 year old)  has extremely dry skin on her hands.  It is red and chapped and burns.  It did not start until she started the clay.  Maybe the clay is dehydrating her a bit and she needs to drink more?  Maybe it is not related at all but weird that it started around the same time. 

 

Jennifer



Glad things are looking up!  I've gone up to a few hundred billion with many kiddos and myself gotten up to 400 billion.  I think separating the pbx and the clay by an hour is fine.  Clay internally really doesn't dehydrate skin-none of the evidence shows that.  It could however be a quirk of her detox.  I'd look at increasing fats, especially given that we've just ended the winter season here. 

post #226 of 281

I was also thinking fats to help with the dry, chapped hands.  She has been lax on the clo the past couple of weeks.  That could easily be it. 

post #227 of 281

DS pooped again tonight!  This is the 3rd day in a row.  He started the new probiotics from Custom Probiotics on Friday.  He pooped on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Quantity and consistency are approaching what I think they should be.  I am very optimisitic.  However, I am now revisiting my assumption that it is possible to recolonize the gut.  I have been assuming that it is and just need reassurance that others have actually seen it happen.  In your experience, PB have you actually seen people be able to eventually go off of probiotics because their flora has been re-established?  or is some maintanence dose of probiotics always necessary or desired?  thanks for your thoughts as usual

 

jennifer

post #228 of 281
Thread Starter 

my theory right now is that it is possible.  I believe that it requires far more in terms of quantity (obviously!) and time than most people do.  Once it's done, it's done, but I suspect that boosts will be needed now and again (after illnesses, food poisoning-anything that disrupts the balance significantly.)  I have seen it happen, but what I want to see is the turnaround from someone who is in really bad shape as opposed to someone who is just slightly off.

 

But honestly, I really do believe it's possible and fairly easily attainable.

post #229 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

my theory right now is that it is possible.  I believe that it requires far more in terms of quantity (obviously!) and time than most people do.  Once it's done, it's done, but I suspect that boosts will be needed now and again (after illnesses, food poisoning-anything that disrupts the balance significantly.)  I have seen it happen, but what I want to see is the turnaround from someone who is in really bad shape as opposed to someone who is just slightly off.

 

But honestly, I really do believe it's possible and fairly easily attainable.


I am assuming with fermented foods in the diet daily?

 

post #230 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigismom View Post

I am enjoying reading about everyone's experiences with introducing clay.  Has anyone else started increasing probiotic dosage yet and how far have you gone so far?  I and my girls are also taking the clay and the same probiotics.  We are all more regular but none of us have the severity of problems that DS does so he gets most of the typing time.  One thing I have noticed.  DD1 (11 year old)  has extremely dry skin on her hands.  It is red and chapped and burns.  It did not start until she started the clay.  Maybe the clay is dehydrating her a bit and she needs to drink more?  Maybe it is not related at all but weird that it started around the same time. 

 

Jennifer


Glad it's going well! I'm up to about 156 billion for myself and every time I up it, I get a little detox/die-off and I let that settle down before I add more. I wanted to mention that I am really, really thirsty since starting the clay and pbx (but strangely feeling more hydrated) so maybe your dd does need a little extra fluid to help with detox.

 

post #231 of 281
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post




I am assuming with fermented foods in the diet daily?

 


yes, that should be part of the daily diet anyway IMO.  BUT there still may be a need for higher doses after a stomach bug-we'll have to see!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post




Glad it's going well! I'm up to about 156 billion for myself and every time I up it, I get a little detox/die-off and I let that settle down before I add more. I wanted to mention that I am really, really thirsty since starting the clay and pbx (but strangely feeling more hydrated) so maybe your dd does need a little extra fluid to help with detox.

 


oh yes.  more water during detox is a GOOD thing.  I should have been more clear.  Clay doesn't dehydrate the skin, but there could be symptoms that crop up as a detox reaction that would increase your need for fluid.  IN terms of being more hydrated-that's interesting.  I'm seeing that across the board with clay, I've not seen it with pbx.  Can you isolate it, or did you start both at the same time?  Thanks!

 

post #232 of 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjorne View Post

oh yes.  more water during detox is a GOOD thing.  I should have been more clear.  Clay doesn't dehydrate the skin, but there could be symptoms that crop up as a detox reaction that would increase your need for fluid.  IN terms of being more hydrated-that's interesting.  I'm seeing that across the board with clay, I've not seen it with pbx.  Can you isolate it, or did you start both at the same time?  Thanks!

 


 

I started the clay first and it occurred right away - it was noticable for me because I have not felt my thirst "quenched" in a long time. I drink quality fluids -
local ancient glacial spring water, infusions, broth, kombucha, a little Tulsi tea, and I feel thirst but I pick up glass full, drink it down, and never really feel as though it is "hitting the spot". Since starting the clay, I feel much more satisfied with what I am drinking. My skin, especially on my face feels much plumper (this was one of the signs I was looking for, that I had when I've been in my sweet spot). Can't say much about my hands, though, but I have them in soil as much as possible now that the ground has thawed. I refuse to wear gloves as I prefer a more intimate connection with the earth I am working.

post #233 of 281

a useful, somewhat related post here: http://perfecthealthdiet.com/?p=2998

 

post #234 of 281

That is a great article!

post #235 of 281
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by deditus View Post




 

I started the clay first and it occurred right away - it was noticable for me because I have not felt my thirst "quenched" in a long time.



ah, that makes sense.  that's what I'm seeing across the board.  Very nice!  And I'm with you about having hands in the dirt!!!

post #236 of 281

hi everyone... just need some feedback on where we currently are.  My last post above was very optimistic.  It was after DS had been taking the new probiotic for 3 days and having a bm each of those days. The new probiotic has different strains and is 25 billion cells whereas his previous probiotic was 8 billion cells.   I was so encouraged that he had a bm 3 days in a row.  We have not changed the dose on the probiotic yet and he continues to take 1tsp of clay 2x per day. He also takes magnesium and prune juice daily.   However, he has now not had a bm since Sunday. It is currently Thursday.  He has been extremely gassy all week.  His abdomen is distended and he acts like he needs to have a bm and then doesn't.  This is his typical pattern. In the past, I eventually have had to give him a liquid suppository and he has a bm.  He hates this and I hate giving to him.  The bm is always soft and usually very large (bc he waits so many days to go).  Is the increased gas possibly die-off?  He has had slightly increased stuttering this week but very minimally.  There are no other signs of die off like he has had in the past (disrupted sleep, crazy tantrums, itchy skin).  Maybe the clay is helping to control the die off and all we are seeing is the gas?  I just don't understand why he stopped pooping after going 3 days in a row.  What should I do at this point?  Continue with this dose or increase or decrease or wait?  I just want to understand what is going on in his intestine so I can fix it and we can all move on.   I am hoping you all chime in and say that this is classic die off not to worry...

 

My girls and I also started the new probiotic.  DD1 had some moodiness and skin itchy and eczema this week which she has NEVER had.  I have to believe that this is die off.  She seems better today.  DD2 has some eczema flare and low energy.  I had a terrible headache one morning when I woke up but I have been fine the last couple of days.  The kids appetites have all increased. 

 

What do you all make of all of this?

 

Jennifer

post #237 of 281
Thread Starter 

Jennifer, are you working with someone on this?  I can't give you advice, but I can say that I would personally up his dose.  I don't know if you read earlier in the thread, but I tend to think kids should start even higher than you are and continue to work their way up until bowel movements are normal (as comfort allows.)  I see no problem (personally) increasing the dose to keep things moving.  The clay should help mop stuff up from the die off, but I'm sorry about the gas!  I'd probably use a castor oil pack and some remedies to help with that myself.

post #238 of 281

I have been seeing our chiro lately who agrees with this plan.  We have a fantastic MD but she is on maternity leave and I would have to see her assistant and communicate with the doctor through the assistant.  I had a bad experience with her (the assistant) and am reluctant to go back until the doctor is off of mat leave.  However, this is not until July and I really don't want to wait until then.  I may try to see the assistant in the next couple of weeks anyway.  I always swing from feeling confident and sure that I am on the right path to doubting myself.  I agree that he needs a higher dosage eventually, I just don't know when to up it.  I don't know if the fact that he stopped pooping means that he has too much right now or not enough.  I don't like feeling like I am experimenting but don't know what else to do at this point.  All of the suggestions I have ever gotten from his doctor have been things that I had already tried are currently trying so I feel like even her suggestions are experiments to see what helps and what doesn't.  I know it is hard for you to offer support and I realize the position you are in not really knowing us.  I do appreciate your insights and the experiences you are willing to share. 

 

jennifer

post #239 of 281

My hydrated bentonite clay is nearly gone. That is the only type the closest hfs had, but we have several health food stores in this county. Where are y'all buying your clay?

post #240 of 281
Thread Starter 

that's a tough spot.  Probiotics can cause what looks like constipation as the intestines adjust.  Given time this will work itself out.  The difficult part is ascertaining if he's reacting to the probiotic (not likely in this case) or in a period of adjustment.  You could have him go off for a few days and then start back up if you like.  I already said I'd increase if it were my kid (which I would.)  However the waiting game isn't a bad one in this instance.  Maybe give it a few more days and observe before doing anything else.  You can try a castor oil pack though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Allergies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › working on some new thoughts