or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › Woudl you let your toddler wear footie pajamas to Target?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Woudl you let your toddler wear footie pajamas to Target?

post #1 of 190
Thread Starter 

This was our battle today.  I wanted her to get dressed; she didn't want to take off her monkey footie pajamas.  Would you pick this battle, or let your child wear jammies to Target?

post #2 of 190

Well, as long as clothes are on (and I would absolutely count footies) I wouldn't pick the battle.  If she walks around the store though, I would require shoes over the footies. 

post #3 of 190

while I wouldn't have a problem with my kid wearing the jammies, I would want shoes and socks on her, which would be difficult with footies. 

post #4 of 190

Yup, I would. In fact I once wore my jammies to the grocer store (w/ a coat over them) hide.gif

 

Frankly I have never understood the battle many parents have over clothes (no judgement intended OP, honest!!). I realized early on that was not a fight worth fighting for *me*.

 

My son (now 9) has worn his halloween costume to preschool in April.  He has worn the same superman jammies for literally DAYS on end. He has gone out on a winters day without a coat and has insisted on wearing his coat inside one of the hottest movie theaters on the planet. He has worn flip flops in the snow (though that lasted about 5 minutes, LOL!)

 

Today is was supposed to be "warm" which here means low 40's so off to school he went in nylon running pants, a short sleeve tee and crocs.Thankfully he packed his coat in his back pack "just in case".

 

Plus I see your daughter is 2!  No one is going to blink am eye at a 2 year old in jammies!  Me on the other hand would have garnered some looks!

post #5 of 190

I'd be fine with footie pjs in the store for a toddler.  With shoes of some kind on  if they were going to be walking at all.

 

My husband would probably insist on "actual" clothes if he was in that position, though.  I don't entirely get it, but hey.

post #6 of 190

Oh heck yes. Jammies in public are not a safety issue and not worth my energy ith a battle.

If you really want her to change, try  letting her pick out her clothing. Or give her some grown up lip gloss or lotion if she gets dressed.

post #7 of 190

Yes, I would. My 8 year old went through a stage where he wore his batman costume everywhere. It was cute. As long as they're dressed, I don't think it matters.

post #8 of 190

Yes, but she would be in a cart/stroller.   I would explain that we wear shoes when we walk in stores.  I MIGHT bring her shoes along, in case she decided to walk, especially if it was a longer trip.  And my Target trips inevitably are.  bag.gif

post #9 of 190

No issues here about it. My only requirement would be shoes over them or she gets to ride the entire time. 

post #10 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Yes, but she would be in a cart/stroller.   I would explain that we wear shoes when we walk in stores.  I MIGHT bring her shoes along, in case she decided to walk, especially if it was a longer trip.  And my Target trips inevitably are.  bag.gif



This exactly. Who cares what they wear as long as they are warm enough and know for sure the rules to not wearing shoes.

post #11 of 190

Ditto this. So far we haven't really had any clothing issues with DS1, except for wanting to take his shoes/socks off all the time. I just explain to him that he can't walk by himself if he doesn't wear them and that usually does it. But yeah, footie pj's would be no problem for me, not at all.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Yes, but she would be in a cart/stroller.   I would explain that we wear shoes when we walk in stores.  I MIGHT bring her shoes along, in case she decided to walk, especially if it was a longer trip.  And my Target trips inevitably are.  bag.gif

post #12 of 190

Not a battle I would fight. And really, if I had monkey footie pajamas, I wouldn't want to take them off either!

post #13 of 190
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

Yup, I would. In fact I once wore my jammies to the grocer store (w/ a coat over them) hide.gif

 

Frankly I have never understood the battle many parents have over clothes (no judgement intended OP, honest!!). I realized early on that was not a fight worth fighting for *me*.

 

My son (now 9) has worn his halloween costume to preschool in April.  He has worn the same superman jammies for literally DAYS on end. He has gone out on a winters day without a coat and has insisted on wearing his coat inside one of the hottest movie theaters on the planet. He has worn flip flops in the snow (though that lasted about 5 minutes, LOL!)

 

Today is was supposed to be "warm" which here means low 40's so off to school he went in nylon running pants, a short sleeve tee and crocs.Thankfully he packed his coat in his back pack "just in case".

 

Plus I see your daughter is 2!  No one is going to blink am eye at a 2 year old in jammies!  Me on the other hand would have garnered some looks!




This is my DD.  She wears the same outfit for days (day and night).  She is very particular about what she wears and I usually just let her pick out her own clothes.  That often means wearing several random shirts, some pants, maybe a skirt, and her panties on top of it all because she likes them so much and wants to see them.  love.gif  I'm just glad we're past the nudist stage.

 

I ended up leaving her clothes on the couch while I went upstairs to get the baby dressed.  When I came back down she was putting them on herself so it ended up being a non-issue.  I'm sure it will happen again though!

post #14 of 190

My daughter often wants to wear her pajamas for the day.  And so she does.  I don't have a problem with it.  With the footie jammies, I'd wants her to wear boots or something on her feet, or else she'd have to stay in the shopping cart the whole time. 

post #15 of 190

I'd absolutely allow it, but would make wearing shoes or boots a condition.

 

My kids have gone to the store and preschool in pjs, halloween costumes, clothes that are completely inappropriate for the weather, etc. It really isn't worth fighting over something that a) won't hurt them and b) they'll probably decide on their own that they didn't make the best choice. When my kids were still toddlers, I'd pack backup clothing so they could change their mind while we were out. Now that they are older, I'll suggest that they pack different clothes, so they can change if they change their mind. It is amazing how fast a child who insists they want to go barefoot in winter will change their own mind if you don't make a big deal about it!

post #16 of 190

I would!  I have a small streak of germaphobe-iness, so I'd probably worry about the germs on the feeties, but I'd get over that too.

post #17 of 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Not a battle I would fight. And really, if I had monkey footie pajamas, I wouldn't want to take them off either!

Really!  I saw sock monkey footie jammies in target over the winter, and I kinda wanted them.  
 

post #18 of 190

ha ha, my sister lets her son go out in public with just underwear and a t shirt on and he's 3 1/2. This kid literally HATES pants. He's also very particular about his clothes. Has to wear certain shirts with certain pants and shoes, etc She thinks he may have some very mild sensory issues though.  Nothing to worry about, just makes him a difficult kid to dress. She lets it go and her husband is cool about it too. They even let him wear a skirt out in public(out of my comfort zone, but to each his own). If it were me, DH would probably make a big deal about wearing jammies out, etc. but then again he's not the one at home with the kid all day, so I get why. He doesn't see the constant struggle of dealing with dressing a 2 year old, so I just let it slide. If it were me, no I wouldn't care. DS has a pair of shoes that are slip on and a little big on him, so they fit over footed jammies. Maybe get her a pair of shoes that are a little bigger and let her go out!

post #19 of 190

What's wrong with footed PJs on a toddler?

post #20 of 190

I have no issues with taking a toddler to the store in pj's; I would just make them ride in the cart. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life with a Toddler
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Toddler › Life with a Toddler › Woudl you let your toddler wear footie pajamas to Target?