1. Can any of you ladies who've done Hypnobabies honestly say you couldn't move your hand, open your eyes etc when you were in deep hypnosis (light-switch off)? I'm doing those CDs this week, and every time she tells me to test my eyelids or try to move my hand... my eyelids open and I move my hand. I just can't make them not work! Once or twice I've been feeling so relaxed I haven't bothered trying, but that's not really the aim; at least, it's not how she phrases it. Does it matter?
2. If it does matter, should I keep doing those CDs until I get it, before moving on to the next CDs? I'm on Week 2 and I'm only 25 weeks, so I have plenty of time before the birth.
3. SIL just used Hypnobabies for her birth, and found it helped greatly during the first stage. However, once complete she didn't feel a pushing urge for a few hours - they tried lots of different positions, played upbeat/angry music on her iPod, and even considered transferring to the hospital at one point. Eventually she started pushing half-heartedly, then properly, and the baby was born just fine. I ran into the midwife today and she believes the Hypnobabies chilled SIL out too much and hindered the pushing process.
I'm skeptical about this, for several reasons:
-I've never read about a similar phenomenon in any of dozens of Hypnobabies birth stories I've read
-Hypnobabies comes with a track specifically for pushing!
-I don't see why being relaxed would interfere with the fetal ejection reflex
-I know not wanting to push is a fairly common occurrence (complication?); I don't know what causes it, or if anyone knows what causes it, but it certainly happens to non-hypnotised mothers; so maybe it happened with SIL for the same reason?
Now, even if it's true, I don't see that it's a problem necessarily; a mother could use Hypnobabies for the first stage, then "snap out of it" for the second and be more "present" if necessary. But I'm just curious to hear if anyone has any thoughts on this. It was the midwife's first hypnobirth, and I'm wondering if she's just blaming Hypnobabies for the weird second stage because it's an unknown quantity for her. (FTR, SIL has said she couldn't have done the birth unmedicated without Hypnobabies, and the MW said she was the most relaxed mother she had ever seen - which is impressive, because "relaxed" is not a word I would normally associate with SIL at any time! So SIL isn't unhappy with the experience or anything. It was just a bit of a strange labour.)
4. WHY must the woman on the CD keep saying "deeper relax"? It's ungrammatical! It disrupts my calm every time I hear it, because I keep wanting to correct her to "Relax deeply" or "deeply relax". Like a splinter in my mind, driving me mad...
5. Is there any way to tell the difference between hypnotic anmesia and actually falling asleep? I've been so tired lately... I think I prepare to sleep as soon as the CD starts, which probably isn't ideal.