If you vaccinate, what do you think? Do they have less chemicals (like aluminum) than getting the same shots separately?
- topicAluminumtagged by System, 3/27/11
- productThe Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for Your Child (Sears Parenting Library)tagged by System, 3/27/11
- topicVaccinationstagged by System, 3/27/11
Related Forum Threads
- Safest brand of DTaP? Last post on 5/30/11 at 5:15pm in Selective & Delayed Vaccination
- Gardasil and arthritis Last post on 6/9/11 at 6:05pm in Vaccinations
- Journal Of Immunotoxicology Last post on 4/4/11 at 8:00am in Vaccinations
- 23andme Crack down by FDA, just what we need, more regulations! Last post on Today at 9:51 am in I'm Not Vaccinating
- SIL wont let my kids see her newborn Last post on Yesterday at 9:27 pm in I'm Not Vaccinating
Last edited: 6/27/11
- My Vaccine InfoLast edited: 3/4/13
- Vaccinations: Why All the Fuss?Last edited: 2/24/13
- Resources for Non-vaccinating FamiliesLast edited: 1/18/13
- Frontline's War on Selectively Vaccinating ParentsLast edited: 3/14/13
- The Vaccine Book: Making the Right Decision for...No review yet.
Combination Vaccinespost #1 of 43/1/11 at 7:22amThread Starterpost #2 of 43/12/11 at 10:39amThe only benefit is fewer shots, which should mean less pain. For example, if your child got the Pentacel vaccine, it would be one shot, instead of three separate DTaP, IPV, and Hib shots.
Everything else, including additives, etc., is likely the same.
Unlike other combination vaccines, one combination vaccine, ProQuad (Varivax - MMR), has actually been shown to be more likely to cause fever than kids who get separate chicken pox and MMR vaccines though.post #3 of 43/12/11 at 11:51am
Not the same vaccine, but similar principle. There is not good evidence that the protection is as good as it is with the individual shots. And there are more reactions with combined shots.
Look at product inserts for the amounts of Aluminum to compare.post #4 of 43/12/11 at 2:54pm
Here's a chart comparing aluminum content (note that the amount listed in the OP for Pentacel is incorrect - it's actually 330 mcg):
So you can see that aluminum content varies from one brand to the next, whether it's a combination vaccine or not. I suppose you would need to know what brands your physician stocks.
MMRV does indeed have a greater incidence of reactions because there is about 3 times as much varicella in it than in separate Varivax in order to prevent inferior efficacy. That's the reason they halted manufacturing it for a while - it was using up too much of their seed stock.
- My Vaccine Info
- › Slight pink spotting after urination (sometimes) 46 seconds ago
- › I don't like playing with my kid 1 minute ago
- › AP mom, and one year old not sleeping! 6 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 7 minutes ago
- › breast pain and essential oils 8 minutes ago
- › No heartbeat. Gone. 8 minutes ago
- › Sleeping Arrangements 11 minutes ago
- › Pregnancy Symptoms 12 minutes ago
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 12 minutes ago
- › Stop nursing because of a protein allergy? 13 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by dangill
- › The Night Before Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › The Snow Queen by Melanie Mayo
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › The Snowy Day by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Marcy Axness
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Monica S
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Melanie Mayo
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo