or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Military Moms: March/April 2011
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Military Moms: March/April 2011 - Page 2

post #21 of 76

Ok, sorry for intruding, but I do have one question that I'm sure someone in this tribe can answer.

 

In the Marines, what situations would someone be required or permitted to wear a utility uniform?

post #22 of 76

We are Navy so I have no idea on that one! Good luck though on the answer!

 

So anyone watching the show Comming Home on Lifetime? Its brought me to tears all three weeks and its been crazy to see people we know on there :)

post #23 of 76

Hi MusicianDad.  We're Coasties, so I'm not sure either.  Is it like a more casual uniform? 

post #24 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Hi MusicianDad.  We're Coasties, so I'm not sure either.  Is it like a more casual uniform? 



It's the uniform the mass media only ever shows Marines wearing in combat. So my friend is now wondering about other times it gets worn since she was wandering the internet yesterday and tripped over information about being available in maternity.

post #25 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

It's the uniform the mass media only ever shows Marines wearing in combat. So my friend is now wondering about other times it gets worn since she was wandering the internet yesterday and tripped over information about being available in maternity.



That's sort of funny, huh. I'm guessing it's the equivalent of the Coast Guard's operational duty uniform (ODU).  Basically if you're assigned to a unit that is "operational," the command might have everyone wearing ODUs, even though some of those people sit at desks and answer phones or whatever.  I think what you're talking about is probably a heavy cotton blend with pockets and cargo pants in khaki, while the uniform you see in the media is like a cotton collared shirt with polyester pants or cammo (I think?).  So a pregnant female marine that was doing a desk-type job at an operational unit might wear that.  But that's just my best guess!!

post #26 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post





That's sort of funny, huh. I'm guessing it's the equivalent of the Coast Guard's operational duty uniform (ODU).  Basically if you're assigned to a unit that is "operational," the command might have everyone wearing ODUs, even though some of those people sit at desks and answer phones or whatever.  I think what you're talking about is probably a heavy cotton blend with pockets and cargo pants in khaki, while the uniform you see in the media is like a cotton collared shirt with polyester pants or cammo (I think?).  So a pregnant female marine that was doing a desk-type job at an operational unit might wear that.  But that's just my best guess!!


Not sure if the it's the same as the ODU, but they seem to have the same shirt and pant style (but not color Marines it's either green or khaki cammo). Ah, this one, only maternity. Which I admit gives me images of a Marine waddling around a combat zone in cammo with an M16 and a baby bump (which makes me laugh 'cause I can't see that ever actually happening).

 

post #27 of 76

Yep, our equivalent of ODUs.  They wear them for all sorts of things, like training, any sort of outdoorsy work.  I would guess that the support staff that works with the outdoorsy types, including pg women, would wear the same thing.  Although it is sort of silly. :)

post #28 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by justKate View Post

Yep, our equivalent of ODUs.  They wear them for all sorts of things, like training, any sort of outdoorsy work.  I would guess that the support staff that works with the outdoorsy types, including pg women, would wear the same thing.  Although it is sort of silly. :)


Awesome, thanks. thumb.gif

 

post #29 of 76

 

My hubby wears his utility uniform (which is the fancy name for cammies) to work every day, here on base and over when he's deployed. You just don't tend to see Marines in that uniform outside of combat photos and on base because they are not allowed to wear it out in public, it is against their dress code. So parades, weddings, funerals and whatever, if they want to be in uniform they have to be in service uniform (the khaki outfit) or nicer. But generally all Marines I see on base are in cammie (utilities)

 

And Coming Home? UGH nothing like bawling for an hour straight! Good show but I think I have to start DVRing it and watch it when he's home from deployment.

post #30 of 76

hug2.gif For everyone who answered the question.

post #31 of 76

That uniform reminds me of our NWUs in the Navy. I believe its our "working" uniform. Most the people on the ship wear it.

 

 

I dont think I could watch Comming home while he was deployed! Though it gives some great ideas for home comming!

post #32 of 76

Our homecoming is him coming home to a smaller wife! I'm down 23 pounds and counting in the 2 months since he left... still have over half the deployment to go. If I can lose another 10 Ill be skinnier than he's ever known me, another 20 I'll be the smallest I've been since I had DD1 and no longer obese. I'm not aiming any further than that until I hit that point. My ultimate goal is a 100 pound loss but that would not be healthy to try for in the time this deployments going on, especially while breastfeeding. 

 

When he comes home, Mae will be wearing a wonder woman onesie with a sign saying "WonderBaby here to get here SuperDaddy!" (she loves the "magic baby hold" so we call her WonderBaby, flying through the sky in her invisible airplane)

 

I have yet to decide on the big two. But I still have months to go.

 

I'm trying to beat my temptation to put up one of the "dirty" signs like "You've done your duty, time to get some booty" lol probably going to be "you're back from military duty, time for diaper duty!"

post #33 of 76

My DH will be home for RnR very soon... and I am SO nervous!!  He has been gone for 8 months :(  Even after RnR we still have another 5-6 to go.  Anyway, I am super nervous.  Not sure why, I am sure it will all be fine and I am spazzing out for nothing.  But he has been gone for so long!!  He also hasn't met the baby yet (he will be around 6-ish months when DH gets here) so that should be interesting... Also, I already have the kids homecoming outfits picked out :P

post #34 of 76

Well I wish I had a good post to reply in here, but whatever, I'm going to vent! Has anyone had a bad experience while living on post with Balfour Beatty? Let me tell you.... we moved to our unit in Oct. and it was infested with black mold and roaches! Of course, we started complaining and we have phone records to prove this (what did they think I called about, chatting about the weather!?) Well, to make a long story short, ALL of us (all four!) were sick with respitory type sickness since we moved there. On February 16th, our baby girl stopped breathing and I had to call 911. They saved her and all was fine. We were admitted to a pediatrics hospital off post, and we were there for observation for 24 hours after the episode. When we got out of the hospital, we went to Balfour Beatty and asked for a new unit, to which all hell broke lose. To make a long story short, the head of Balfour Beatty called my husbands CSM directly and said he was being rude and beligerent and threatening at the BB office, yet my husband was at work! It was ME that was up there (and I didn't do any of that!) The CSM laid into my hubby and has set out to make his life hell. We requested in writing that BB get our unit tested and do air sample testing, and they refused. They even called and had the CSM order my husband to let them in our unit to clean out the mold before testing could be done. My husband refused, and was slapped with an Article 15. Now, we have requested a court martial, and yeah.... this is going to be exciting *sigh* We feel so helpless, so miserable, and now there are other families speaking up against the mold issue. This whole situation is ridiculous, and my husband is at his breaking point. It's really sad that everyone is forgetting a baby's life was in danger! Gah! 

 

 



 

post #35 of 76
Thread Starter 

Do a search on infant deaths and mold and Fort Bragg and you'll see this isn't an isolated event, unfortunately greensad.gif I'm sure they know that. I would get a lawyer if I were you.

post #36 of 76

I've actually been in contact with one of the moms who lost their baby at Bragg 3 years ago. She's been a tremendous help! We also have a civi lawyer who is a retired Lt. Colonel from the JAG office. He's been a prosecutor, military judge, and something else.... he's written things in the Supreme Court, and he is seriously taking our case for all most nothing (normally charges 5k) because he feels this is a no brainer case and firmly believes we are in the right. This lawyer has a great record with fighting court martials, so we will see what happens.

 

 

The corporate Balfour Beatty office contacted me yesterday asking for our medical bills and other out of pocket expenses so maybe, just maybe, they want that because they know we are planning on taking them to court.

 

Needless to say, we will NEVER live on post at any installation ever again. 12 babies dead at Bragg, 2 babies stop breathing at Gordon, Bliss family sues for severely brain damaged infant due to housing stuff, and there's a baby at Lewis in a coma who still isn't breathing on his own (this is a very recent one) and his is believed to be from housing as well. How can the Army just turn a blind eye to these cases? And who in the wold holds these housing companies accountable?! so frustrating!

post #37 of 76

Oh mama! I am so sorry. I have never heard a good thing about Balfour. We have Lincoln Military so I have never had a house through Blafour but family has. Is the Army really doing nothing? That is horrible. I am so sorry hun. I hope this gets settled and they have to redo the homes. Keep us posted please. Those poor babies... :(

post #38 of 76

OMG MK.  What a nightmare!  Most importantly, how's your little one doing?  I'm so glad you have a lawyer.  That is just absolutely unacceptable.  These companies just prey on captive audiences.  I hope someone with some sense gets involved and makes the Article 15 go away, and then the lawyer can handle the damage done to your daughter. 

 

I don't know what a CSM is, but I'm guessing it's the equivalent of command master chief?  Like the senior person who is supposed to help folks with these problems instead of destroying their lives?  Is there someone else that your DH can get involved who actually has some sense?  I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.  Feel free to vent away.... (although I'm sure your lawyer is going to tell you not to vent too much on a public forum) greensad.gif

post #39 of 76
Thread Starter 


I'm glad all your ducks are in a row. Things have not been good for several people I know here who are directly involved in the lawsuit, so hearing what they've done to your husband doesn't surprise me. They don't want to admit to using improper building methods and substandard materials, and they definitely don't want to accept responsibility for hurting anyone. I can tell you right now that even the brand new housing is going to have the same problems 15-20 years down the road because they're not protected from water damage, I looked myself. I think it's incredibly important to pursue this and make them accept responsibility for it, nothing will ever change if they're allowed to keep this stuff quiet. This just adds to my already giant mountain of disgust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaKitten21 View Post

I've actually been in contact with one of the moms who lost their baby at Bragg 3 years ago. She's been a tremendous help! We also have a civi lawyer who is a retired Lt. Colonel from the JAG office. He's been a prosecutor, military judge, and something else.... he's written things in the Supreme Court, and he is seriously taking our case for all most nothing (normally charges 5k) because he feels this is a no brainer case and firmly believes we are in the right. This lawyer has a great record with fighting court martials, so we will see what happens.

 

 

The corporate Balfour Beatty office contacted me yesterday asking for our medical bills and other out of pocket expenses so maybe, just maybe, they want that because they know we are planning on taking them to court.

 

Needless to say, we will NEVER live on post at any installation ever again. 12 babies dead at Bragg, 2 babies stop breathing at Gordon, Bliss family sues for severely brain damaged infant due to housing stuff, and there's a baby at Lewis in a coma who still isn't breathing on his own (this is a very recent one) and his is believed to be from housing as well. How can the Army just turn a blind eye to these cases? And who in the wold holds these housing companies accountable?! so frustrating!



 

post #40 of 76

The thing is, even if the worst case scenario happens to my hubby, we are going to continue the fight. Sure, it's not going to be easy, and it will definitely be hard to ask "why me?" but honestly, maybe other families will speak out. They cant shut up a large crowd that are outraged and disgutsed ya know? If they ruin our lives over this, I will make it my life mission to advocate for this cause. No joke! Sounds kind of crazy, but if they take everything from us that we have, why not keep going? Nothing more to lose, ya know? 

 

If our case is documented, then other cases are documented, perhaps it will encourage others to speak out. Eventually, the numbers will outweigh their denial of any problems. It's just such a shame that people cant apologize. The mom I talked to whose child died 3 years ago at Bragg, said they STILL have yet to hear a single apology about their child dying. In fact, the people on post who deal with the deaths/murders refuse to talk to them! How sad is that?! It really disgusts me. *sigh* Who let's these people have these housing contracts?!?!

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Connect With Other Moms
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Military Moms: March/April 2011