or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › June 2011 › New Chat Thread!!! MARCHing into the 3rd trimester!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Chat Thread!!! MARCHing into the 3rd trimester!! - Page 3

post #41 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Bumbles View Post

 

 

Just wanted to chime in to answer this. Absolutely! With my last pregnancy (my first), I switched from an OB to a midwife at 27 weeks, then that midwife was way too medicalized for me, so I switched again at around 38 weeks. It's not too late until the baby is actually here lol.gif

 

So glad you found a doula you clicked with :)

Yes, I did too. I switched in my second pregnancy at 28 weeks from a hospital midwife to a HB midwife and again at 32 weeks when we moved. 
 

 

post #42 of 221

I just changed practices at ~22 wks and it wasn't a problem at all. If you know you want to change then go for it!

post #43 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by erigeron View Post

I had a prenatal appointment today and discussed my concerns about the glucose tolerance test with the midwife. I have no violent objection to being tested for GD but I really don't like the idea of eating something high-sugar and not having the option to eat anything for another hour; that makes me worried I might crash given the way I tend to get hungry these days. She said the only risk factor I have is being over 24, which isn't much of a risk factor. I think if I'd declined testing altogether she would have been fine with that too. We decided to check a random blood sugar and an A1c instead of doing the OGTT.

 

I'm doing the GTT blood draw tomorrow morning at 9. However, I'm not drinking the sugar drink. I refused the test at my last appointment and the MW said that I could eat a big breakfast instead of drinking the stuff. I opted for that instead. Since I'm VBACing I want to be on their good side if I do end up birthing in the hospital instead of UCing. And I have no objections to eating a bigger than normal breakfast and getting blood drawn. It's an excuse to go out to breakfast with a friend tomorrow!  I have the over 25 risk factor (which doesn't count as one to me) and the fact that I'm overweight. However, not ever having had blood sugar issues before I'm sure everything will be fine and I can say "I told you so!" to the MWs. :D
 

 

post #44 of 221

Does anyone else have the urge to nest setting in really hard lately?

My DP was kind of shocked today, he'd never seen me so domestic. We're painting/setting up our "nursery" corner next weekend. In the meantime I'm doing more organizing and cleaning than I've done in the 18 months we've been married, and trying to track down crib and change table on craigslist.

I maybe overdid it with the cleaning and organizing today, I'm pretty worn out, and still regretting not getting to re-organize the kitchen cupboards(!)

post #45 of 221

Ok, what is that mixture of magnesium and calcium or what not that you ladies recommended for not being able to sleep?? I have been up for DAYS with the leg cramps and braxton hicks and I can't take it anymore!!!!! I count down the minutes until I can put DD down for a nap so I can sleep for an hour.... I am so tired!!!!

post #46 of 221
Thread Starter 
I am attempting to nest like crazy, too - or at least, in my mind I am orngtongue.gif I keep making lists and *trying* to get things done but I have been stuck in neutral for a few weeks. I feel a change is a-commin', though!!

How was the weekend for everyone? DH and I had a couple of BIG things to discuss (living situation, preparing for the future, what to do with our current house, etc...) which pretty much took up every minute of our free time. It is soooooooooooo hard to to try and discuss anything when the kids are up and around so we wait until they are in bed at night and so that means no time for anything fun greensad.gif because believe me, these discussions are anything but fun! Productive, but not fun.

ETA: MaryElizabeth, the cal mag should help as well as taking a nice warm bath, some gently hip flexor stretches and maybe a little Rescue Remedy Sleep before turning in. I started taking the cal mag weeks ago in order to try and avoid the RLS!!! So far, so good.
post #47 of 221


What should I buy and how much should I take? And is all that at say a Walmart or should I go to a health food store?? I am desperate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

I am attempting to nest like crazy, too - or at least, in my mind I am orngtongue.gif I keep making lists and *trying* to get things done but I have been stuck in neutral for a few weeks. I feel a change is a-commin', though!!

How was the weekend for everyone? DH and I had a couple of BIG things to discuss (living situation, preparing for the future, what to do with our current house, etc...) which pretty much took up every minute of our free time. It is soooooooooooo hard to to try and discuss anything when the kids are up and around so we wait until they are in bed at night and so that means no time for anything fun greensad.gif because believe me, these discussions are anything but fun! Productive, but not fun.

ETA: MaryElizabeth, the cal mag should help as well as taking a nice warm bath, some gently hip flexor stretches and maybe a little Rescue Remedy Sleep before turning in. I started taking the cal mag weeks ago in order to try and avoid the RLS!!! So far, so good.


 

 

post #48 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryElizabeth View Post

Ok, what is that mixture of magnesium and calcium or what not that you ladies recommended for not being able to sleep?? I have been up for DAYS with the leg cramps and braxton hicks and I can't take it anymore!!!!! I count down the minutes until I can put DD down for a nap so I can sleep for an hour.... I am so tired!!!!


The stuff that I take is called Calms Forte. It's available at health food stores. It might be at some larger chain grocery stores as well. Speaking of which, I need to find mine or get more. If you can't find the Calms Forte then taking a calcium supplement and a magnesium supplement will help.

 

We're supposed to be getting at least 1000 mg of calcium a day, more if you're having issues with muscle cramps.

 

post #49 of 221

I just take a supplement w/ 1000mg of calcium and 500mg of mag.

post #50 of 221
Thread Starter 

I think mine is Solgar and I probably got it at Whole Foods (but I am sure it was one of the cheapies).  I take 3 a day which I think is 1500 calcium and 750 mag??!!  Not sure and its upstairs.  I am taking a little extra because my homeopathic dentist said my teeth are in dire need of all minerals because I just don't consume enough of them, especially calcium (although with the all the ice cream I have been eating lately, I am sure that has changed!!).

 

Anyone taking an OTC med for reflux?  For the last 2 weeks, I have been choking back the bile barf all night long and been pretty much unable to eat past 3pm.  I altered my diet (no caffeine, no carbonation, low sugar, watching acidity, etc...), am taking a homeopathic and elevating my head at night.  I take a probiotic daily and drink plenty of water.  I am done trying to figure out a natural remedy for this and just want to take something that will give me instant relief (or ward it off completely).  I am thinking about starting with a H2 blocker like Zantac and seeing if that helps - and if not, doing a 2 week course of a PPI.  Anyone BTDT? Or have any advice?

 

 

post #51 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

 

Anyone taking an OTC med for reflux?  For the last 2 weeks, I have been choking back the bile barf all night long and been pretty much unable to eat past 3pm.  I altered my diet (no caffeine, no carbonation, low sugar, watching acidity, etc...), am taking a homeopathic and elevating my head at night.  I take a probiotic daily and drink plenty of water.  I am done trying to figure out a natural remedy for this and just want to take something that will give me instant relief (or ward it off completely).  I am thinking about starting with a H2 blocker like Zantac and seeing if that helps - and if not, doing a 2 week course of a PPI.  Anyone BTDT? Or have any advice?

 

 

BTDT. I've given up too. I have taken OTC med for this my last 3 pregnancies, including this one. I take ranitidine, generic of Zantac, and a category B. Omeprazole, which is generic Prilosec is a category C.
 

 

post #52 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Anyone taking an OTC med for reflux?  For the last 2 weeks, I have been choking back the bile barf all night long and been pretty much unable to eat past 3pm.  I altered my diet (no caffeine, no carbonation, low sugar, watching acidity, etc...), am taking a homeopathic and elevating my head at night.  I take a probiotic daily and drink plenty of water.  I am done trying to figure out a natural remedy for this and just want to take something that will give me instant relief (or ward it off completely).  I am thinking about starting with a H2 blocker like Zantac and seeing if that helps - and if not, doing a 2 week course of a PPI.  Anyone BTDT? Or have any advice?


Have you tried almonds?  It sounds made up, but chewing almonds has really helped with my reflux.  The trick is to chew them into a fine paste before swallowing.  I tried for weeks and they didn't help at all because I was just eating them like candy, but now that I've started doing it the "right way" it's really improved. (I also drink almond milk, but that's because it tastes good.)  I was in a similar position - any food after 3 or 4 and I was paying for it all night. 

 

I've also heard that lying on your left side is supposed to make it better, but that never worked for me. 

 

Almonds or not, I hope you're able to find something that helps! 

post #53 of 221

i know you said you were done with trying to find a natural remedy but I thought I would throw this out there.  The only thing that takes care of my heartburn is 2 TBSP of apple cider vinegar in 8 ounces of water.  It sounds gross but doesn't taste that bad and really works for me!

post #54 of 221
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2lizziesue View Post

i know you said you were done with trying to find a natural remedy but I thought I would throw this out there.  The only thing that takes care of my heartburn is 2 TBSP of apple cider vinegar in 8 ounces of water.  It sounds gross but doesn't taste that bad and really works for me!



It's funny you say this because it is what my homeopathic guru told me to try - and I did - for 3 days straight, I followed her guidelines and every time I drank the darn stuff, I IMMEDIATELY started gagging and it would all come up in one violent rush!!    I have an aversion to vinegar - the smell of it has always made me sick, though I thought got over it because I use it to clean.  Apparently not.  I have tried kombucha several times with the same result.  I know it is good for you but my body just hates it!!  Bah!

 

I am not supposed to have raw nuts because of my dental work - I still have 2 temporary crowns on and almonds are on the list of things to avoid.  I do eat almond butter almost every day, though - but I am guessing that doesn't help because I am still having the same problems.

 

I had DH stop and get some of the generic Zantac and I am going to try that tonight.  I just can't take it anymore!!!

post #55 of 221

Home remedies for heartburn never really worked for me. I tried everything - mustard, brown sugar, milk (and avoiding milk!), apple cider vinegar, apples... not all together, of course. :p Last pregnancy I ended up taking antacids, which I have since learned you shouldn't do due to aluminum - oops! - and, well, that didn't really work either.

 

But... last night I'm pretty sure I hypnotised the pain away! I've been doing Hypnobabies for a few weeks, so I just kept visualising my throat being washed in white light (which is how they tell you to visualise anaesthesia), and "breathed" the pain away... yes, it sounds totally hippie-dippy, but it worked! I did have to repeat the process every time I turned over, though... but I fell asleep pretty quickly and felt fine this morning. Cool, huh? :)

 

Also, I'm pretty sure mine is aggravated by stress. I locked my keys in my car last night, and had heartburn all evening.

 

Right, gotta go see my midwife!

post #56 of 221

I got Calcium and Melatonin... they didn't have any Magnesium left at the store that I went to. I'm hoping that these to will help... I've also had some gross reflux, but I believe it's tied into my gallbladder issues this pregnancy. Thankfully, mine hasn't gotten that bad yet. This whole pregnancy though, I eat... and then I can feel it making it's way back up. Nice :)

post #57 of 221
Thread Starter 

Holy bananas, that Zantac is amazing stuff!  Wow.  I feel almost normal.  I guess we will have to see what happens when its time for sleep, but so far, so good!

 

 

post #58 of 221

i. am. so. tired! It isn't helping that DD is now refusing to eat anything for dinner so she wakes up starving at 6:30am. What happened to my eat anything, sleep until 8:30, easy as pie baby? Poor thing still is having tummy troubles... this is so hard to figure out!

 

I'm glad the Zantac worked for you!! Relief is so sweet :)

post #59 of 221

Not feeling so hot here. My captain sent me home yesterday (before shift) because I was in pain. Spent all evening having contractions and feeling icky. Still feeling that way today. Drank my water and laid down. Nothing is helping. I'm not bleeding so I'm trying not to worry, but this kiddo is giving me reason to feel she'll want to come early. Like before 38 weeks.

 

The house hunt is on. The landlord is letting us out of the lease because he didn't take care of the mice problem 3 months ago and we threatened to just stop paying rent until it is fixed. We're just not sure if we're going to rent or buy yet. Its all very stressful because I want to be in a house and start nesting and getting ready for the baby.

post #60 of 221

Stinks you aren't feeling well. Seems like a lot of us are having these gross days full of contractions :( But how exciting to look for a new house! I love house hunting!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy2Austin View Post

Not feeling so hot here. My captain sent me home yesterday (before shift) because I was in pain. Spent all evening having contractions and feeling icky. Still feeling that way today. Drank my water and laid down. Nothing is helping. I'm not bleeding so I'm trying not to worry, but this kiddo is giving me reason to feel she'll want to come early. Like before 38 weeks.

 

The house hunt is on. The landlord is letting us out of the lease because he didn't take care of the mice problem 3 months ago and we threatened to just stop paying rent until it is fixed. We're just not sure if we're going to rent or buy yet. Its all very stressful because I want to be in a house and start nesting and getting ready for the baby.



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: June 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › June 2011 › New Chat Thread!!! MARCHing into the 3rd trimester!!