I just wanted to add that I'll be having my 2nd homebirth after having my first 2 with a CNM in the hospital...I have had issues with PPH with every baby...
With my first in the hospital my uterus didn't clot properly so my CNM had to undo those clots so that my uterus could re-clot correctly and I also had a shot of methergyn(sp)...that was awful(not the shot, the clotting part). This was after a 12 1/2 hour labor total from first contraction to baby.
With my second in the hospital I had PPH and I definitely think there was also insane over reaction on the part of the nurse that happened to be in the room when I went to the bathroom. Active labor for DS1 was less than 2 hours and total labor was less than 4 so I think that contributed to the PPH as your uterus can go into shock from a very fast labor, not only a very long one. But my bladder was also full after birth which can cause issues with your uterus contracting post partum. But like I said the nurse freaked out when I went to the bathroom and there was lots of blood...so she started massaging my uterus which was so painful I started blacking out...so then she's saying I'm about to pass out, which as soon as she stopped massaging I was fine with no more dizziness or lightheadedness. (I need to add that right after birth my CNM gave me a shot of pit and a shot of methergyn as a precaution due to what happened with my first baby). So after this "episode" in the bathroom I was given a bag of pit through an IV that had to be put in after the birth and also a shot of hemobaine. I was fine and went home within 24 hours.
So after that birth I decided I wanted a HB, not due to a bad experience, it just wasn't what I wanted and I hated being at the hospital. So I went with a HB. I talked to my MW a lot about my history and she agreed to take me as a client. My birth was again fast...2 hours start to finish, but my MW was very vigilant post partum about massaging my uterus, I had a shot of pit and methergyn(sp) and was also given some homeopathic things. We also worked hard on getting DS2 to nurse and when he wasn't I was doing nipple stimulation to help my uterus contract. My MW never pulled on my placenta and we also did not cut the cord until the placenta was delivered. I did bleed more than they like, but not enough to need a transfer. Prior to the birth I took a RRL tincture daily and also another herbal tincture my naturopath recommended and I also made sure my iron levels were good.
We are planning another HB in May.
I will add that my dh was not on board at first and had some questions. His fears of PPH were put at ease by the fact that the MW is very prepared with drugs for PPH if needed. They are also so much more vigilant and aware of what's going on during and after the birth. They don't wait until the last possible moment to transfer if it's needed either. My MW is also an RN and had previously been an RN on a labor and delivery floor...she became a MW(CDM) due to not liking hospital practices and the way that interventions ended up causing more problems than they helped...so for me that helped with my peace of mind. But I also know that my dh trusted me because I'm the one that does the research and the reading and he doesn't. My dh liked the hospital because he could do less since there were so many other people there to help me and wait on me...but for me that's not a good reason to birth there.
As to insurance...you should check your Medicaid...they may cover your HB...I know where I live Medicaid covers for sure a free standing birth center and I'm almost 100% positive they cover a HB as well. It's definitely worth looking into.
Also...I see that he's concerned with transferring...why would that be bad if it indeed needed to happen? Does he just not want to have to deal with comments or questions that may come with transferring? Typical HB transfers are not usually serious emergencies(at least from my research and reading).
Hugs mama and I hope it all works out for you to have your HB.