or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"Natural C-Section"

post #1 of 44
Thread Starter 

Just had to share this c-section as I have never seen anything like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIcaK98Yg&feature=youtube_gdata_player 
 

 

as the baby is being born, they lower the drape and let the mother watch baby slowly emerge, they delay cord clamping, and give baby straight to mom and don't seperate them. Then, they encourage breastfeeding right away. Why can't they all be like this when they are medically necessary? Just beautiful. Oh, and it is overseen by a midwife! 

post #2 of 44

I watched this with tears running down my face. How I wish my births had been like this! Hopefully I won't have to even think about another c-section!

post #3 of 44

Beautiful! If my C-section had been like this, I really would not have such feelings about it. 

 

Thank you for sharing!

 

Cerise

post #4 of 44

obviously, i don't want another c-section, but if i had one, i hope it would look like this.

 

before dd was born i was convinced that i would have the beautiful drug-free, intervention-free natural childbirth i had dreamed about.  c-section never even entered my mind because that wasn't going to happen to me.  so, when it happened, i was completely unprepared.  after the surgery, i completely stopped advocating for myself (like i had been up to that point).  i kind of just let things happen to me (i guess i felt defeated and disappointed).  my greatest regret about my c-section is that i didn't demand to hold my daughter sooner.  she was over two hours old before i got a chance to breastfeed.  

 

i don't regret how she came into this world, but i do regret that i didn't make more noise afterward.  even though i'm planning a natural childbirth this time around, i've included an "in the event of a c-section" in my birth plan which includes delayed cord clamping and immediate contact between mama and baby. 

post #5 of 44

I cried when mom got to see baby's sex first.  This is a wonderful way to do this surgery when necessary... just hope it doesn't end up promoting more elective cesareans. 

post #6 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndie View Post
... just hope it doesn't end up promoting more elective cesareans. 


I doubt it would as someone who is naturally minded is probably not looking for a surgery if they can avoid it.

post #7 of 44

I agree that it probably wouldn't in the US, but here in Peru, the c-section rate is 85% and people don't see the need for natural childbirth...this may encourage them to have C-sections and not see the value more in natural childbirth. Because this way they could say they have the best of both worlds. 

 

I get told a lot that I am ridiculous for wanting a natural childbirth and not just doing it the "easy way" another time...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post





I doubt it would as someone who is naturally minded is probably not looking for a surgery if they can avoid it.



 

post #8 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceriserenee View Post

I get told a lot that I am ridiculous for wanting a natural childbirth and not just doing it the "easy way" another time...
 

 

i can't believe people think a c-section is the "easy way".  i wouldn't want to go through that again.  the surgery, the recovery, how it affected me physically and emotionally...no thanks.
 

 

post #9 of 44

I don't think the very few doctors willing to perform c-sections like this are going to allow patients to just elect to have surgery.  Nobody can demand a c-section when it's not necessary, you have to find an OB who supports that, I would think out of anyone these would be the OB's to say, no, that's not safe, I won't do it.  Anyways...looking on the positive side, this is such good news for the moms who will need c-sections, better for mom & baby. 

post #10 of 44

I agree.  My backup OB performs gentle cesareans and I can't imagine he'd allow a woman to just elect to have it done.  From talking to him about such things he gave me the impression that it's very much looked at as a last resort. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeingamomma View Post

I don't think the very few doctors willing to perform c-sections like this are going to allow patients to just elect to have surgery.  Nobody can demand a c-section when it's not necessary, you have to find an OB who supports that, I would think out of anyone these would be the OB's to say, no, that's not safe, I won't do it.  Anyways...looking on the positive side, this is such good news for the moms who will need c-sections, better for mom & baby. 



 

post #11 of 44

I completely agree...it was so hard on me and my family....plus the bonding was so hard, and breastfeeding even harder. I really pray that all those who are trying for VBAC and natural births in this forum are able to have beautiful, healing, powerful and strengthening births!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samstress View Post



 

i can't believe people think a c-section is the "easy way".  i wouldn't want to go through that again.  the surgery, the recovery, how it affected me physically and emotionally...no thanks.
 

 



 

post #12 of 44

I think that is great but now I really wish I wouldn't have watched it, because it drug up all the memories from

my c-section :( I had such severe chest pain immediately afterwards that even when they brought the baby into recovery I

didn't hold him b/c I was in such pain.  The thought of having another C-Section makes me want to throw up.

 

I am honestly glad for that lady and glad that she was happy with her birth though.

post #13 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceriserenee View Post

I agree that it probably wouldn't in the US, but here in Peru, the c-section rate is 85%
 



 


jaw.gif

That is so, SO sad. I had no idea.

 

I can see the reasons for hoping this doesn't become the next trend - but I tend to agree that those seeking out and those performing this type of c/s would not be doing it out of convenience. At least, I really hope not. As far as c/s go, this would certainly be the one to have.

 

post #14 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceriserenee View Post....plus the bonding was so hard, and breastfeeding even harder.

 

oh, for me too.  i was miserable and felt so alone.  wish i had known about mdc back then (didn't find it until dd was nearly a year).
 

 

post #15 of 44

*


Edited by maotmsmi - 5/21/11 at 10:09am
post #16 of 44

As most of you know, I am trying for a VBAC here is Peru, and am working with a wonderful midwife. She is the only Doctor (She is actually and OBGYN that acts as a midwife here) in all of Lima that will work with you to have VBAC. I am grateful to have found her and am really hoping for a great experience. I also can understand those who don't want to watch this, or wish they hadn't...C-sections can be so traumatic...I am sending lots of healing energy to you all.

post #17 of 44

A few things I want to say:

1. yes you can ask for a cesarean and get it. LOTS of people do. This is a large part of why iatrogenic prematurity is such a huge, huge, huge problem in the states.

2. In times when a cesarean is medically necessary, most are emergencies... they won't have time or the luxury to make things all flowers and sunshine. It is going to be 99% the "non emergent" cesareans that are capable of being done like this, which means that it's mostly elective and repeats, which are neither medically necessary nor should be encouraged. I think the general idea here is that if you have the option to have a "woman centered cesarean" (what a misleading title!), you probably didn't need a cesarean at all. There will be exceptions, but it'll be pretty rare.

3. Before anyone jumps on me for not knowing what I'm talking about, I'm a cesarean mom and an ICAN co-leader.

 

Being safe and happy with your birth are paramount, and in the best interest of mother and baby health (as well as bonding, long term side effects, breastfeeding, and a MILLION other reasons) cesareans should not be prettied up imho. They're already popular enough... I think we can all agree the last thing the cesarean industry needs is more excitement on why it's awesome to get one. Cesareans are major abdominal surgery, and carry very serious risks to both mother and baby. I don't know that I think this kind of surgery should be promoted considering the amount of women who would be ideal candidates for it (IE. ones that cannot, cannot, cannot have a vaginal birth and that reason does not mean an increase in medical monitoring or care due to being in a high risk situation) are going to be very few. VERY few.

post #18 of 44

10:29-10:37

 

"And I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be the way in which cesarean section- elective cesarean sections - are generally performed across the country".

 

Emphasis may be mine in text, but it's his as well; listen to his voice. This is an option only for elective sections. Those which are NOT medically necessary, NOT an emergency, where vaginal birth WAS an option.

post #19 of 44

I think this is incredible and was really moved by the film...until the end when the doctor said something about changing the way elective c-sections are done.  I'm thoroughly against elective c-sections, but for mothers who have no other choice but c/s, this is so amazing.

post #20 of 44

Yuck. :( 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post

10:29-10:37

 

"And I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be the way in which cesarean section- elective cesarean sections - are generally performed across the country".

 

Emphasis may be mine in text, but it's his as well; listen to his voice. This is an option only for elective sections. Those which are NOT medically necessary, NOT an emergency, where vaginal birth WAS an option.



 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: May 2011