After 'sposie diapering my DD (now 7) and for the first 8 mo of this little DS's life- the environmental guilt is getting the better of me and I'm contemplating a switch to cloth. He also tends to be a bit rashy so I'm also looking at it from a health standpoint.
I've read a lot here, but I think I need that extra push to know that it won't be too hard, the laundry won't be overwhelming and the smell won't be either.
I'm leaning towards something like FuzziBunz - a pocket all in one (I think that's what it's called right?) I liked the fuzzibunz style from the website; and would probably look to buy them or a similar brand/style used.
I think the things that concern me the most are;
1. Laundry - I keep reading about soaking, pre-washing, "stripping" - which soap to use, what soaps you CAN'T use, cold rinse then hot rinse, bleach or no bleach. It seems so complicated! I don't mind doing a load a night, it's all the steps that confuse me.
2. Smell. This is DH's biggest beef. We have a basement so I can easily toss poopy diapers down there. Do you have to soak them? Stain treat the poop stains?
3. On the go. With a 7 yr old, we spend most of the summer out and about - the idea of carting around poopy or wet diapers - bleh. I might wind up using 'sposies now and then ( like a day at the beach.) Do you do this?
4. Overnights. Right now we use overnight 'sposies and they are SOAKED by AM. DS is a crappy enough sleeper as it is, the last thing I want is for a wet bum to wake him up.
5. Is it "too late?" I should have been doing this since birth - should have done it with DD too - is there really any point in switching now?