or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › Television › Season 2 of Sister Wives starts this Sunday, 3/13!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Season 2 of Sister Wives starts this Sunday, 3/13! - Page 6

post #101 of 127
Totally agree, if your religion is so intertwined in your daily life, to move to an area without a religious community is hard. I doubt they could easily incorporate another religion without out completely watering down their current one.

Also agree, the shared housing, might be tight, but if they truly plan to build ASAP would be best. I foresee the individual housing becoming more long term than anyone planned.
post #102 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by YadaYadaMama View Post

Wow so many different point of views! Im reading the thread saying "oh yeah" "I had not thought of that" "What a good point" 

Now here is something else to think about!:

 

 

Could you be a sister wife?


I find myself saying the same thing.  "I hadn't thought of that" and "What a good point."  There are some many different views on this show.  I find the whole topic really interesting.

 

Could I be a sister wife?  No.  I'm a jealous person by nature.  I just had a crazy dream last night that DH had fathered a baby with another woman and was going to attend their baby shower.  I was SO mad.  I just couldn't do it.  Now the other aspects I could handle.  Having someone to watch over and love my kids if something happened to me would be lovely.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by chel View Post

Totally agree, if your religion is so intertwined in your daily life, to move to an area without a religious community is hard. I doubt they could easily incorporate another religion without out completely watering down their current one.

Also agree, the shared housing, might be tight, but if they truly plan to build ASAP would be best. I foresee the individual housing becoming more long term than anyone planned.


I agree that this individual housing thing is probably going to be more long term.  Look at how much they are enjoying it already.  I think living in a giant house with kids running all over the place would drive me freaking insane.  I couldn't handle the chaos.

 

post #103 of 127

I think I could be a sister wife minus the religious part, which seems to be a pretty big part! :) There is no way my husband could, he says he doesn't have enough alone time now with one wife and two kids! Kody seems like the type who always wants kids/family/people around to talk to/try to entertain. 

post #104 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica_s View Post

I think I could be a sister wife minus the religious part, which seems to be a pretty big part! :) There is no way my husband could, he says he doesn't have enough alone time now with one wife and two kids! Kody seems like the type who always wants kids/family/people around to talk to/try to entertain. 

 

LOL!  Every time I watch it, DH comments on how insane Kody is to have more than one wife--one is enough to keep happy as far as he's concerned.
 

 

post #105 of 127

I tease my husband about wanting a Brother Husband.

post #106 of 127

lmao! My DH might go for that. 
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by neetling View Post

I tease my husband about wanting a Brother Husband.



 

post #107 of 127

 

 

Quote:
I thought it was pretty pathetic that Meri moved a mile away from the others when something else was available close by.

I thought/think that she will leave. I haven't seen the last episode yet but I wasn't surprised to read this. 

post #108 of 127

I could def. be a sister wife.  Polygamy has appealed to me since childhood. 

 

Meri is my least fave and I'm surprised that people like her here. LOL  She is the one who wants Kody to be polygamist and yet she's always having a "hard time" with it.  She's seems like a drama queen and a spoiled brat who likes attention.  Which is why she, of course, would choose a nice house over her chosen lifestyle and why she will have issues with Robyn being pregnant.  Hello, Meri!  This is all supposedly exactly what you wanted in life.  Get over yourself!

 

Interesting to have someone posting here that lives by them.  Sitting around to set up for a shot?  Gah.  That sounds horrible. 

post #109 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post

I could def. be a sister wife.  Polygamy has appealed to me since childhood. 

 

Meri is my least fave and I'm surprised that people like her here. LOL  She is the one who wants Kody to be polygamist and yet she's always having a "hard time" with it.  She's seems like a drama queen and a spoiled brat who likes attention.  Which is why she, of course, would choose a nice house over her chosen lifestyle and why she will have issues with Robyn being pregnant.  Hello, Meri!  This is all supposedly exactly what you wanted in life.  Get over yourself!

 

Interesting to have someone posting here that lives by them.  Sitting around to set up for a shot?  Gah.  That sounds horrible. 


Which sister wife is your favorite?  I'm just curious.  For me, it's a tie between Meri and Christine.  I definitely see where you're coming from though with the Meri thing.

 

post #110 of 127

i don't think i could be a sister wife.  although many aspects appeal to me... other women to help me with the children during the day, be there when i can't, etc.  but i don't think i could share my hubby.  it would be very upsetting to me to see him having babies with other women.

 

i like christine the most.  i think robyn could be really sweet if she didn't come off as so 'needy' all the time.  i wish we had more back story on her, so it would be easier to understand where she's coming from.

post #111 of 127

Christine seems to be the one who most "gets" what she signed up for.  I get the impression she's fully on board but does have moments where certain aspects of the relationship are difficult which could really probably be said for all of our relationships. 

 

To be fair, I think Robyn does get it too but I wonder how she'll do long term (I would love to know more about her background.  I have a feeling it's really bad and would explain a lot).  Janelle seems to want something specific out of it (the ability to have a bunch of kids and still pursue a career) and more power to her since that seems to work for their family--although this new arrangement should be interesting with her spending more time with her kids.  I agree Meri seems extremely conflicted.

post #112 of 127

I like Christine the best.  I think we'd get along best.  She seems fun, she likes doing the "mommy thing" a lot, and she seems really honest about herself.  I feel I can relate to her the most.  Janelle is cool, too, but I can't relate to her as well. 

post #113 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post

I like Christine the best.  I think we'd get along best.  She seems fun, she likes doing the "mommy thing" a lot, and she seems really honest about herself.  I feel I can relate to her the most.  Janelle is cool, too, but I can't relate to her as well. 



Ditto. 

 

 

post #114 of 127

I don't buy any of it. I don't think any of the wives are happy. Except maybe Robyn. I think they like their new setup and things are going to change. We've already seen cracks in surface. Like all TLC shows, I think that the things we see are very whitewashed.

post #115 of 127

I have changed my views on polygamist relationships because of this show. I use to think it was WRONG and now I think differently.  This family works, pays taxes, does is not rely on welfare and are all consenting adults. At times I have also thought it would be awesome to be apart of the Brown family. 


Edited by LittleBlessings - 10/7/11 at 2:47am
post #116 of 127

Love this show!

post #117 of 127

People magazine reported Robyn had her baby boy this morning!

post #118 of 127

Aww! Congrats to them!!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisoula View Post

People magazine reported Robyn had her baby boy this morning!



 

post #119 of 127

I think the word co-op was also mentioned at one point. I was thinking maybe it was one of those things where parents participate and teach keeping costs very low.

post #120 of 127
I'm only partway through season 2 and have only read through post #48 so as not to read spoilers..

I am so fascinated by this show. I heard the poly family that inspired Big Love on Talk of the Nation the other day.. I'll start watching that one next! I'm not sure if this was addressed upthread (as I had to quit reading the posts!) but someone was asking about the Browns' religious affiliation- The couple I heard on NPR were explaining that LDS (mainstream modern mormon church) does not condone polygamy, the Fundamentalist LDS church does, but that is like the complex that was raided in Texas a while back and there is a lot of instances of young teen girls being married to older men.. that is different from Independent LDS which has a loose community but not a formal church affiliation. I'm guessing Kody and his wives are of the latter bunch.

Kody really irritates me.. I don't know what it is exactly.. I just find him a little off putting. Hard to believe he could get ONE woman to marry him, let alone 4!! Something about the sister wife thing is super appealing to me- I love the communal life style and raising your kids like a big village, but the sharing a man part I don't think I'd be down with. I love that the wives have to work at their relationships with each other as well as their relationships with Kody.. They are truly (no pun intended) like sisters.
One of my favorite books is The Red Tent and there is the same type of family set-up there (well, two of the wives are bio-sisters and two are each sisters handmaidens).. with the sister wives raising each others kids and each one having their own responsibilities.. I just love the community of it.

I don't know how I really feel about the environmental impact of one family having 18+ kids. I have read other books (like Escape) where the wives who aren't the legal wife all apply for food stamps and public assistance for all the "illegitimate" children.. which I suppose they are entitled to.. I don't know. It sort of feels like working the system, especially since those really fundamentalist sects won't interact or let their children interact with the rest of society outside of the compound, but they are ok basically defrauding the system for food and cash assistance.. How else could you afford to feed 20+ kids??

I look forward to catching up on this thread, as soon as I catch up watching!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Television
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Arts & Crafts › Books, Music, and Media › Television › Season 2 of Sister Wives starts this Sunday, 3/13!