or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › New Things at Mothering!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Things at Mothering! - Page 2

post #21 of 58


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post

I'm concerned.  The UA doesn't say anything about AP or natural family living or anything.... so I'm concerned, is this just going to be one more parenting board? 

I was thinking the same thing. If the values of MDC aren't stated in the UA, how will anyone new know what types of discussions are welcomed and supported here? I think some text from here (http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/about-us), including the Statement of Purpose, should be a part of the UA, or at least linked from it. Is the new UA a done deal? Any potential for tweaking?

 

I'm delighted about the free TP threads, though! Maybe it will get busy again like it used to be.

 

Also, I still have functionality issues, and think that should take priority. When I create posts sometimes the text editing window doesn't work until I click "Source" twice. Then it is fine. I agree with a PP that other color schemes would be nice too. I like the general layout, but I miss the tan background.
 

 

post #22 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornery View Post

As I posted on another thread, I feel like this really changes the fact that Mothering is supposed to be a supportive environment.  How is it supportive if people are talking about other people?  How does gossip fit in with Attachment Parenting values?

 

And when is the new User Agreement going to be unveiled?  I would like to see what exactly the new agreement specifies.

 

ETA:  Speed is also a huge concern for me.  Why is attention being put on all these new features when the actual functionality of the site is so poor?


I posted RIP when the wife of a politician died and it was removed for celebrity gossip reasons. So it more than just what celeb is breastfeeding or had a HB.

And ap parents can have a love of all things including what latest celeb train wreck happens to be.

How is different the an ap parent caring about cooking or politics- neither which have any thing to do with ap?
post #23 of 58
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildKingdom View Post

Does this mean that old threads that have been pulled will be returning?


That would create a heavy burden on the staff because we'd have to check each discussion to determine why it was removed before it could be put back. But if you know of a particular one you'd like to see returned just let me know and I'll be glad to take a look. I would need the thread title though, or at least a close paraphrase of it.

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Ornery View Post

As I posted on another thread, I feel like this really changes the fact that Mothering is supposed to be a supportive environment.  How is it supportive if people are talking about other people?  How does gossip fit in with Attachment Parenting values?

 

And when is the new User Agreement going to be unveiled?  I would like to see what exactly the new agreement specifies.

 

ETA:  Speed is also a huge concern for me.  Why is attention being put on all these new features when the actual functionality of the site is so poor?

 

A lot of our members have made the request to return the celebrity gossip discussions so we'd like to do that for them. The fact is, a huge number of the discussions here are people talking about other people - be it a celebrity, a child, another parent, an in-law, a neighbor, a spouse or partner, or an ex. So it's not really any different. Whether we like it or not, celebrities do have an effect - positive and negative - on society.

 

The New UA is already in place at the link I gave. As I mentioned in my post "We'll be updating the forum descriptions to carry specific rules over and keep more specific details about our terms of use in that document." - which means that some things from the user agreement will be carried over to the Terms of Use page, linked to beneath the UA. 

 

We are working on lots of other things. Site development issues and technical/functionality improvements take time. 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

I'd like to know when usability is going to be improved. Speed on my laptop is okay, but this site won't even come up on my phone since the makeover. The white background is still very hard on the eyes and I can only stay on the site for short spurts. Navigating any one forum is an exercise in patience with all the back and forth in and out of the forum list and each individual thread. I give up before reading most of the info. The "next thread" and "previous thread" links made all the difference in the old format. I like change when it is progress and maintains functionality. At this point, MDC seems to be more about glitz and glamour (surface-level shine) and less about core issues.

 

We are working on color schemes. We hope to have that changed fairly soon. For the rest of your issues please post a separate thread to Q&S and I wil try to help you.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post

Sounds good. I might even start posting more often now lol! Before I was always afraid I was somehow violating the UA and gave up trying and moved to other boards. Thanks for working hard to improve MDC!!


Thank you for the kind words and kudos!

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by flower01 View Post


I don't know. I left here to go to other boards for awhile because of the opposite fear. I used to come hear for support and like-minded conversation and I started to see so much name-calling and arguements it was really frustrating.  I don't need to go online for drama. I am looking for people to affirm parenting decisions and help me. I just hope that these changes won't allow for more negativity.


We won't allow attacking, namecalling and disruptive, disrespectful posting now anymore than we did before. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

I appreciate the move toward improving the board, but imo, the addition of celebrity gossip is not a win. "Winning" would mean bringing back the Politics and Current Events forums and allowing members to discuss those things - and everything else on the board - the way we used to (i.e. like grown-ups). And reverting to a readable format.

 

In my post I said "Over the next week we will open up celebrity gossip discussion in the Media forum, expand News & Current Events, and launch a new Intactivist forum. "

 

Politics was opened for the elections discussions so i don't know if we want to do that right now. Political news and events can be posted to News & Current Events for now. 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

 

I just looked at the new UA, and it certainly doesn't look as though name-calling is going to be any more acceptable under the new one than it was under the old one.
 

 


Exactly. thumb.gif

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post

If Mothering is supportive of a natural family lifestyle and attachment parenting principals, what happened to the clause about not hosing discussion about pro CIO, elective c-sec, harsh discipline, etc.

 

 

This used to be a safe haven for AP types.  I don't have an account on Babycenter for a reason.

 

 

Boo, MDC.

 

Our Web Statement of Purpose clarifies what Mothering is about. The simplified UA protects discussion. If we find members with an agenda to post things that are contrary to Mothering's Web purpose we will address that as we have in the past. While we will host some discussions about CIO, cesarean section, and discipline, we will do so for those parents new to attachment parenting and natural family living - those exploring these philosophies and open to discussion to learn. Our intent is to help inform and educate and that sometimes means taking a mother where she is, even when she is not fully AP/NFL. Some folks have some things they just aren't quite on board with. To shut then down doesn't help them move from where they are to where we are.However, we will not allow pro-CIO, elective c-section or harsh discipline advocacy here. Such topics may arise in discussions by a member who is new to the site but that will be handled with advice, information and reason. We trust in our community to report those posts that are truly set on disrupting discussions and attacking AP/NFL folks. We'll handle things appropriately.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

Maybe it's covered here? 

 

From the new User Agreement

 

As long as it's still known that MDC's values don't include advocating CIO, spanking, etc., I would guess that those posts will continue to not be allowed. 



Yes. And this will be further clarified when the Terms of Use and Web Statement of Purpose are updated. Coming soon. smile.gif


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post


I agree but I feel like this is at least a step in the right direction. I don't care about celeb gossip but hopefully we get some of the other forums back eventually. I would love for N&CE to come back too!!!


It is! orngbiggrin.gif

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post


I agree. If we're going to have Celeb GOSSIP I vote that we allow all members to discuss valid issues and news as well.

I totally agree!
 

 

post #24 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia Mosher View Post

In my post I said "Over the next week we will open up celebrity gossip discussion in the Media forum, expand News & Current Events, and launch a new Intactivist forum. Politics was opened for the elections discussions so i don't know if we want to do that right now. Political news and events can be posted to News & Current Events for now. 

I'm still unclear on what has/will change. News&Current Events guidelines still say that only paying members can post. It still says that discussion of politics is forbidden. By expanding, do you mean us regular folk will be able to post there? And post about politics, too (not clear on the distinction between "politics" and "political news"). Will the old moderation policies (i.e. you can't disagree politely with someone or post an eye-rolling smilie without being alerted for "taking issue") apply?

I'm really glad to hear you're working on new color schemes!
post #25 of 58
Thread Starter 

This question I received privately and thought I should share it:

 

 

 

Quote:
When you say all infractions are being reverted does this mean banned members will be unbanned?

 

No, it does not. Infractions are being reverted but that does not reinstated a member who has been banned. Banned members can only return if they submit a request to us to reinstate their membership with a commitment to respect our rules, our members and staff, and our community purpose. If we find their desire to return to be sincere and feel their history of offense is not something severe enough to bar their return then we'll certainly reinstate them.

post #26 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post

The "next thread" and "previous thread" links made all the difference in the old format. I like change when it is progress and maintains functionality.


We're adding this functionality to the Huddler platform very soon - it's in testing now. Thanks for hanging in there!

We're also putting a lot of attention into site speed right now. We know speed is crucial and we're working on it.

post #27 of 58
Thank you Cynthia, this sounds very promising! smile.gif
post #28 of 58

I'm pleased. I have not cared for MDC since the huge UA and overbearing moderation has come into play. I used to really love MDC and now it hardly crosses my mind. I'm also pleased that my track record is cleared... whistling.gif

post #29 of 58

thanks for letting us know.

 

 

post #30 of 58

I'm new here but I am excited to see some of these changes!

post #31 of 58

This is interesting, & while some of the posting options are different (I'm a mauve board kinda gal, lol), I like the 'clean slate' idea, & more freedom, as long as it doesn't violate Mothering ideals. 

I vote we get to see everything that's been in The Pen (was it called that? lol I forget) for a decade! Hee! 

post #32 of 58

So, how does this fit in when it comes to posting negative experiences/opinions of Dr.'s & Midwives? That is one thing that really bugged me here.  Everyone could write a glowing review of a certain midwife, but you could not post (even respectfully) about a bad experience. You had to receive negative experiences by PM.  I've seen a lot of of posts disappear over the years because of this.

 

I really hope that changes.

post #33 of 58
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KestrelDream View Post

So, how does this fit in when it comes to posting negative experiences/opinions of Dr.'s & Midwives? That is one thing that really bugged me here.  Everyone could write a glowing review of a certain midwife, but you could not post (even respectfully) about a bad experience. You had to receive negative experiences by PM.  I've seen a lot of of posts disappear over the years because of this.

 

I really hope that changes.


We were trying to protect Mothering and our community from litigation for defamatory remarks. That's why we asked people to share their negative views via PM. 

 

I had hoped to save this for a bit later when we're closer to launching it but what the heck. orngbiggrin.gif We're opening a Practitioners and Services Reviews section. You will be able to leave both positive and negative reviews for practitioners  - doctors, midwives, doulas, etc - or for services such as a birth center. Of course, respectful tone will be required and we'll place some guidelines. We hope to have that going soon (before the end of the month perhaps). :)

 

post #34 of 58

YES!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!! I'm doing the happy dance here!

 

joy.gif

post #35 of 58


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfam View Post

I might even start posting more often now lol! Before I was always afraid I was somehow violating the UA and gave up trying and moved to other boards.

 

 

 

yeahthat.gif

 

 

I have a question. When the intactivism forum is in place will the Case Against Circumcision forum be eliminated? Because I think CAC is a better name than Intactivism. The terms intactivism and intactivists have both been given a bad reputation. I'd hate if the circ forum was dismissed by someone who needs the info simply because it carries a name that is being associated with crazy people.

post #36 of 58
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NettleTea View Post

I have a question. When the intactivism forum is in place will the Case Against Circumcision forum be eliminated? Because I think CAC is a better name than Intactivism. The terms intactivism and intactivists have both been given a bad reputation. I'd hate if the circ forum was dismissed by someone who needs the info simply because it carries a name that is being associated with crazy people.



The Intactivism forum will be a subforum of TCAC. TCAC will continue just as it is. smile.gif

post #37 of 58

Wait... I... I have no warnings or alerts to my name? None?! 

 

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

joy.gifjumpers.gifenergy.gifjammin.gif

post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post

Wait... I... I have no warnings or alerts to my name? None?! 

 

WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

joy.gifjumpers.gifenergy.gifjammin.gif



This.

post #39 of 58
Thread Starter 

lol.gif

post #40 of 58

I am pleased beyond belief to see an Intactivism forum arriving soon.  I have wanted and advocated for it for a long time.  Thank you so much!

These all seem like very positive changes and I welcome them.

I know how hard the admin and moderator team work and I appreciate it very much.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Site Help
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Site Help › New Things at Mothering!