or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › April 2011 › Who is skipping Group B Strep testing?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who is skipping Group B Strep testing?

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 

Looks like some of us has passed this point and others are right there.....i'm not doing it and i am birthing a a birth center. The midwife seems a bit hesitant about it. Wanting me to ck the baby's temp's every 4 hours for 24 hours after birth. Her reasoning is when she worked at another birth center they had a baby pass because of GBS.....and mother not being treated during labor.

I was not tested with my last baby and didnt do temps with him.

What are you doing about GBS or not doing?

post #2 of 48

not me, because I am birthing in a hospital and pretty much from what i understand if you decline, you will have to have the antibiotics, or the baby may have to have them once born, and it could mean an additional day in the hospital. I did test positive with ds, and had to have the iv, this time around I am taking priobiotics and garlic prior to testing, which is thursday, I don't know if it will make a difference, but thought it may help. Probably TMI, but now my nether region smells a bit like the garlic pill, and I am only taking them orally, so I gather if the garlic helps, then it is probably working...

post #3 of 48

I skipped it last time, am skipping it again this time. Two different sets of midwives and they've all been fine with it. I've never heard of routine temping, but I can see how personal experience would affect your midwife's advice.

 

If I have extended PROM, even with hibiclens rinses, with my unknown my GBS status I would probably consider temping post-birth. 

post #4 of 48
This is the only test I don't decline. I'm preparing for a home birth, but in the event of a transfer, a mom with no results is treated the same as a mom with positive results and I don't want to deal with that on top of everything else that comes with a hospital transfer. Like ILMBB, I'm taking probiotics and garlic, as well as yogurt, elderberry, echinacea, and Vit C. I tested negative with DS with barely any preventative measures, so hopefully I'll be negative this time as well.
post #5 of 48

Not in line with the question of the thread, but honestly mamas, this is one I decided NOT to skip. The test has no risks, and the treatment if I were positive is non-negotiable. I read up a LOT more this pregnancy about GBS than I did last time, and I am very thankful that last time wasn't an issue because I went into labor before my GBS results came back and my midwife treated me with Hibiclens, which I now know is almost completely unproven in effectiveness. (Along with garlic and other herbal remedies that I know a lot of midwives recommend.)

 

I was relying on The Thinking Woman's Guide and a few other similar sources for my information last pregnancy. This time I've expanded, especially concerning specific tests and complications (Gestational diabetes...skipped. the treatment and even existence of a treatable condition is in serious question.) But GBS? I actually requested the test a week early so as not to be caught in the problem I had last time of not knowing if I was negative or not. My current midwife is able to administer IV antibiotics if necessary, and if I tested positive, that would have been my choice for treatment. Since my test was negative, thankfully, I don't have to worry about any of this and have the peace of mind to move on. 

 

http://www.groupbstrepinternational.org/ 

 

Just my .02 on the subject. :)

post #6 of 48

Hmm. My midwife seems to be really lax about the testing for GBS but you ladies have really made me consider having the test done, especially in the event of a hospital transfer. thumb.gif

 

post #7 of 48

Another one who won't decline this test.  I'm having a hospital birth, and the easiest way to get home quickly with my baby afterward without a fight is to have a record of a negative GBS test.  I wouldn't decline the abx in order to avoid them wanting to keep the baby for observation, but I REALLY hate IVs.  They drive me absolutely bonkers and will distract me in labor, so I'm just taking probiotics to try to get a negative result  next week.

post #8 of 48

I am not testing. I am aware of the risks. Also, there ARE other infections that together with GBS have become as possible overall because of the use of abx with GBS testing. E. coli is an infection newborns can get, and I'm wondering how often babies are cultured when sick to know whether it's really GBS or not another infection. I'm prepared to push back in the event of a hospital transfer.

post #9 of 48

I am personally not testing, but am doing a natural protocol to prevent it.  The problem with GBS testing, is that this is normal flora in the intestines and can colonize tha vagina at any time and usually only for short periods of time.  It essentially will migrate in and out of the vagina.  So a negative test at 36 or 37 weeks does not mean you would be GBS free at birth.  The odds of being positive are fairly slim, the odds of infecting the baby are even slimmer, and the odds of the infection being detrimental are even less.  It's a tough decision to make, everyone has to do what it right for them, but it is a bigger issue if you're giving birth in the hospital. 

post #10 of 48

I am testing because, just as a PP mentioned, if in the unlikely event that we have to transfer, we will be treated as though we are positive if we cannot produce test results.  If I happen to test positive, I will proceed with my HB plans.  If I also happen to have prolonged PROM during labor, I'll use hibiclens and watch baby closely after birth.  

As a HBer, there really isn't a downside to testing.  If I'm negative, great! If I have to transfer, I can produce a negative test result and hopefully avoid unnecessary ABX.  If I test positive, I still get to have a HB w/o IV ABX, but I know to be more aware of potential infection, and if I have to transfer I'll suck it up and take the ABX (which I would have to do if I didn't do the test).  

post #11 of 48

I'm testing just in case of transfer. I tested negative with no preventative measures beforehand with DD, so I'm hoping to have the same luck this time around.

post #12 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

I am not testing. I am aware of the risks. Also, there ARE other infections that together with GBS have become as possible overall because of the use of abx with GBS testing. E. coli is an infection newborns can get, and I'm wondering how often babies are cultured when sick to know whether it's really GBS or not another infection. I'm prepared to push back in the event of a hospital transfer.


DDDC- The standard of care by the APA is a blood culture on all babies suspected of GBS sepsis, therefore determining if and what organism is present making the baby sick, whether GBS, e.COLI, or others. The treatment remain the same for all suspected bacterial illnesses.
 

 

post #13 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by allical1284 View Post

As a HBer, there really isn't a downside to testing.  If I'm negative, great! If I have to transfer, I can produce a negative test result and hopefully avoid unnecessary ABX.  If I test positive, I still get to have a HB w/o IV ABX, but I know to be more aware of potential infection, and if I have to transfer I'll suck it up and take the ABX (which I would have to do if I didn't do the test).  


Yup! My MW recommended testing and discussed several treatment options if I were to test positive.  Luckily, I tested negative with no preventative measures, but I'm glad to have the result in case of transfer.

 

post #14 of 48

I am planning a homebirth and am definitely testing. Like others, this is in case of a transfer. Also, it's not invasive to the baby and a positive result can have negative consequence to my child. Not a risk I am comfortable with taking.

post #15 of 48

this is one I did not decline or mess with. I did do some early probiotic and garlic treatments and will continue with some of it just in case. the risk is too high for me. I know a lot of the stuff written on it is from a very medicalized point of view. my fear is I am also positive for an STD that if transmitted can cause fever ect... given that I want to know if something is up, which it is. I could never forgive myself if something happened. I don't expect it to since I have not tested positive for any of the other 4. my MW office also tests to see which antibiotic is best for it. she will also do a rapid test during labor if requested. And like most of you a refused test is treated the same as a positive so it's not worth it to skip.

post #16 of 48

did mine last week.  Not really a big deal to me.  I was negative with both girls no preventative measures and hopefully will be the same this time.  I'm okay with doing abx if +. 

 

 

post #17 of 48

UPing at the moment so no way I'll be able to be checked for GBS. I haven't had it with the previous pregnancies so, I think I have a good chance of not having it this time either. I did some research and personally would decline antibiotics in labor as I've read it can cause more issues if the baby does get sick from GBS as the strain will likely have developed a resistance to the antibiotics during labor. Also, the antibiotics during labor can make it easier for your baby to catch other things that may be going around while they are at the hospital.

If the midwife group hadn't ticked me off, I think I would have taken the test but since one of them got on my last nerve, I'm back on my own again. Oh well.

post #18 of 48

BOOOOOO  I was positive this time.  not really a huge deal I suppose- but I really didn't expect it since I was negative the first 2 times. 

post #19 of 48

Bummer, Starcat! Does this have any impact on your birth plans? (I forget if you were doing a homebirth).

 

My test is in two weeks. I've pretty much resigned myself to having an IV anyway--it's the one (ridiculous) sticky point between my doctor and I. But I really hope I'm negative so I have a little more flexibility over when it goes in. Apparently she's had too many situations where heplocks have failed to give her access when she needed it.

post #20 of 48



 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCat View Post

BOOOOOO  I was positive this time.  not really a huge deal I suppose- but I really didn't expect it since I was negative the first 2 times. 



 

I was + with my third after being - with my first two, not a pleasant surprise, is it?  The abx weren't a huge deal really, but I am still hoping my test comes back neg this time.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › April 2011 › Who is skipping Group B Strep testing?