or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › May 2011 › anyone getting preemie clothes?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

anyone getting preemie clothes?

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Are any of you getting any preemie clothes just in case? We didn't for DD, but my OB thinks that we're at "substantial risk" of a preterm delivery (whatever that means). Most stores seem to start at newborn, so we'd probably need to order online. I'm hoping that a few newborn outfits will suffice, but maybe I should be more prepared than that.

post #2 of 19

We had some for dd1 handed down from a set of twins.  We also used them with dd2.  My girls were full term and 7 lbs 10 oz and 7lbs 6 oz and they for awhile.

post #3 of 19

not a bad idea if you are buying clothes ahead of time. dd was full-term but "newborn" clothes were huuuuuge and ridiculous on her. she fit premie for probably a good month.

post #4 of 19

*


Edited by maotmsmi - 5/21/11 at 9:57am
post #5 of 19

walmart (yeah walmart....i know some people think it's evil and i personally just don't like the place....) sells alot of premie clothes (and cheaply.)

to be honest...baby clothes are just about the only thing i'll buy there. sometimes they actually have some really cute trendy stuff (just the other day a mom in dd's toddler group was oohing and aahing over her cute kiddie cowboy boots but gave me the stink eye when i answered that they were from walmart (pissing her off kinda made buying them worth it :) )

post #6 of 19

DDCC Burlington Coat Factory has a good selection

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post
 (just the other day a mom in dd's toddler group was oohing and aahing over her cute kiddie cowboy boots but gave me the stink eye when i answered that they were from walmart (pissing her off kinda made buying them worth it :) )


LOL! What I wouldn't give to be able to afford not to shop there... and in the meantime, I'll go ahead and feed my children, including my wheat, soy and dairy free boy. :)

 

And in that same tone... I was surprised to find a few preemie sizes at the thrift store when I was going their baby clothes. Might get lucky if you don't mind used.

 

post #8 of 19

I have a few preemie outfits that my 8lb10oz DD wore for a week or two. I had a single preemie outfit that was too big for my 7lb even DS. Walmart now has their Faded Glory brand of clothes made with organic cotton and they're pretty inexpensive too. I got a shorts set for DS (3T--*sniff*) for $6.50 there. I think they have infant clothing in the line as well.

post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie View Post




LOL! What I wouldn't give to be able to afford not to shop there... and in the meantime, I'll go ahead and feed my children, including my wheat, soy and dairy free boy. :)

 

And in that same tone... I was surprised to find a few preemie sizes at the thrift store when I was going their baby clothes. Might get lucky if you don't mind used.

 


plus, i gotta give walmart credit for being the only place that carried size 3 snow boots for toddlers (short of paying $50 for stonz....yikes.) i guess "all the right brands" don't want little kids playing in the snow. oh well.

 

post #10 of 19

I don't even buy the newborn size personally. I start with the 0-3 month size. (my kids were 7 lb 14oz and 8.5 lbs)

So what if the clothes are a tad big on them, Not like they will trip on them or something. LOL

So, if it were me and I were fairly certain I was having a preemie, I guess you could get some newborn size. :) I wouldn't bother with the preemie size personally. But, I'm not looking for a perfect fit. One thing to consider is with the bulk of a cloth diaper, sometimes a larger size is helpful.

post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzs View Post




plus, i gotta give walmart credit for being the only place that carried size 3 snow boots for toddlers (short of paying $50 for stonz....yikes.) i guess "all the right brands" don't want little kids playing in the snow. oh well.

 



My walmart didn't have any snowboots below a size 10 when I went shopping this winter. So, I don't know. I found some in my kids' sizes at Target. 

 

I try to buy as little as I can at walmart but do still buy some stuff there.

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayiscoming2006 View Post

I don't even buy the newborn size personally. I start with the 0-3 month size. (my kids were 7 lb 14oz and 8.5 lbs)

So what if the clothes are a tad big on them, Not like they will trip on them or something. LOL

So, if it were me and I were fairly certain I was having a preemie, I guess you could get some newborn size. :) I wouldn't bother with the preemie size personally. But, I'm not looking for a perfect fit. One thing to consider is with the bulk of a cloth diaper, sometimes a larger size is helpful.



This is me, exactly. :)  When my daughter was born at 6 lbs 11 oz, friends rushed out and bought her preemie clothes... and they fit her perfectly at first, but newborns gros FAST!  (At least mine do!)  So they didn't fit her for long... I mean, she was 20.5 inches, so she outgrew the length VERY quickly.  My son was 8 lbs 8 oz and 22.5 inches long, so while 0-3 seemed a little "baggy" on him until he filled out, he would have had issues with the length of "newborn" stuff too.  Since I have no reason to believe I'll deliver preterm or have a petite baby, I'll stick with 0-3 months.  I don't care if they're a little big for a while, just want my baby comfortable.  Also, my 6 lb 11 oz baby.. I was induced at 38 weeks 6 days with her (low fluid) and based on my cervix being closed, hard, and thick, not having a single contraction prior to induction, and how much vernix she had on her, I think she probably would have stayed in til at least 41 weeks and likely would have fattened up a bit in that time.

post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMamaBeth View Post





This is me, exactly. :)  When my daughter was born at 6 lbs 11 oz, friends rushed out and bought her preemie clothes... and they fit her perfectly at first, but newborns gros FAST!  (At least mine do!)  So they didn't fit her for long... I mean, she was 20.5 inches, so she outgrew the length VERY quickly.  My son was 8 lbs 8 oz and 22.5 inches long, so while 0-3 seemed a little "baggy" on him until he filled out, he would have had issues with the length of "newborn" stuff too.  Since I have no reason to believe I'll deliver preterm or have a petite baby, I'll stick with 0-3 months.  I don't care if they're a little big for a while, just want my baby comfortable.  Also, my 6 lb 11 oz baby.. I was induced at 38 weeks 6 days with her (low fluid) and based on my cervix being closed, hard, and thick, not having a single contraction prior to induction, and how much vernix she had on her, I think she probably would have stayed in til at least 41 weeks and likely would have fattened up a bit in that time.



Not sure what to expect from this one but my girls were still 12 lbs at 6 months. One of them has a lot of food issues and I honestly think that the nutrients she was supposed to be getting from my breastmilk weren't getting through as we are now both gluten intolerant and she is allergic/intolerant to something in milk. I was eating both gluten and dairy at the time. My youngest is just short and always has been.  This one might surprise me and grow at lightening speed but I'm working on finding some preemie or newborn clothes for him for the first little bit.

 

post #14 of 19

I'm so glad to have read this thread!!  I was thinking maybe I should go and find some preemie clothes..but after reading this, I think if the clothes are a little big that's no biggie. 

 

I have the following:

BabySoy%5FTakeMeHomeSet%5FBlue%5F1210?$share$

and

BabySoy_TakeMeHomeSet_Pink_1210?$web_setitem$

 

Actually I just have the two gowns, hats, and socks that match...I don't have the blankets.

 

This was my plan for a "first outfit" and I think it'll be just fine. Sure it'll be a little big. But I have to wash and dry it still....so they'll shrink a little bit.

 

I think the second out fit will be the homebirth onsie I bought that says "born at home" :)  So excited!!!!!!

 

post #15 of 19

Plus for most of us it's summertime and unless you keep your house freezing then most babies will be living in onesies I imagine.  If those are a bit big it's not a big deal.  (Though I do like my babies not to be swimming in 0-3 months, so I do buy newborn sizes...my 8lber used them for almost a month...until he got too long for them).

 

post #16 of 19

Yep! We have newborn sized onsies and pajammas as well. I think those two above are 0-3..but that's okay. They're cute.  I have plenty of newborn stuff so that should work just fine for the first month or so! :)

post #17 of 19

We didn't have preemie clothes for our first baby, and he ended up coming 3 weeks early (37w exactly) and was only 6lbs 2oz.. plus lost almost a lb the first week.  We did buy preemie clothes because everything else was literally falling off of him, and he was a slow grower (9lbs at 2 months!).

 

But since then our other babies have been to big (at 8lbs 6oz and 8lbs 1oz) to really use preemie clothes so it's just sat in a box, we do use some newborn outfits and some of the smaller brand 0-3m clothes in the first weeks.

post #18 of 19

also....brands do fit differently. for us the only "newborn" clothes she wasn't swimming in were the gerber brand onesies that they sell in a pack at target, walmart, etc...they are actually tiny and stretchy so they would work for small as well as bigger newborns, i woudl think

post #19 of 19

I just bought one onsie because I want to have something to remember just how small the baby was plus I think it'll be nice to have one thing that fit.  I didnt have anything for DD (she came the day I was going to work on her coming home outfit) and didnt find it a hassle to keep her in the too large newborn clothes. I find it cute to have a small baby in slightly too big clothes as long as they dont completely drown in them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: May 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › May 2011 › anyone getting preemie clothes?