My daughter (2 1/2) wears SMO orthotics, and with the summer coming up, I want to get her something breathable. Most of these types of shoes that I've seen don't have a removable liner, which would help with the fit. Does anyone have experience and have a specific shoe to recommend?
- productSpecial Kids Need Special Parents: A Resource for Parents of Children with Special Needstagged by System, 3/29/11
Sandals/sneaker sandals to fit over orthotics?
We had great luck getting http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/productdetails?catId=cat1530402SR&productId=8-100834&skuId=***8********4115531*W090&stockNumber=4115531&showDefaultOption=true
this sandle from stride rite to work with ds1's SMO's. We bought this style until they didn't make it in his size anymore. For tennis shoes, I found skechers worked best.
Thanks for the replies. I checked out some of the brands. Keens, especially newport style, aren't the best choice because they don't look like they open wide. I couldn't tell if there is a removable liner. My daughter's PT doesn't like the giant rubber toe in front. She says it's like an obstacle for unsteady walkers.
Queencarr, I took a look at your link. The sandals are cute, but I'm trying to imagine how they fit over SMOs. It looks like it would be hard... no removable liner to make more room, and they don't open wide.
In the end I remembered that a friend used to have sandal sneaker for her son last year, and she told me she got them at Target. I took a look online and found these.
I just received them and they slide onto the orthotics like butter! They have a removable liner, and the two straps on the top make for a large opening. The back has a slit for ventilation, but isn't totally open (it has a "threshhold" up from the sole.)
Hope this helps someone!
Look for something like this: http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/productdetails?catId=cat1530401SR&productId=8-126095&skuId=***8********CG38101*W110&stockNumber=CG38101&showDefaultOption=true
You might have to them to a shoe cobbler to make additional adjustments. We have gone round and round trying to find sandals to go over Gabrielle's braces. Sandals are much harder to find than tennis shoes. Don't get me started on dress shoes. Those are impossible.
You can also look for water sandals similar to this:
They are neoprene and stretch. The problem we had though with the ankle strap is, Gabrielle has a hinged AFO on her right foot. The hinge causes the ankle strap to pop off. Her KAFO on her left leg isn't a problem.
Can I ask a somewhat stupid question? This will be our first full summer with orthotics - when you use them with sandals, do you still put socks on your child? Or do they wear them with bare feet? DS has only worn sneakers with his, so we have always used socks. But now that the warmer weather is here, I've been wondering :)
Hi, We have always cut the toe out of the knee high socks. This way they feel like they have a true sandal on and their little toes get to feel the summer breeze. Also, Croc's ( www.crocs.com ) are great for summer time and fit right over afo's. Hope this helps you to enjoy the summer weather.
- › BUMPS and Belly Shots!! 2 minutes ago
- › ~*~The TTC ONE Thread~*~April 2014 4 minutes ago
- › Antibiotics for baby Eczema 7 minutes ago
- › Family dies of Diphtheria! 10 minutes ago
- › Nomadic, Boho, Vegan, Witchy Mama of 2 & TTC 10 minutes ago
- › Can we discuss punishment and control? 11 minutes ago
- › Any tips for how to find a live/in-person community of expectant or... 11 minutes ago
- › Is anyone else having spotting? 11 minutes ago
- › Get a free stash! 13 minutes ago
- › Outdoorsy Momma of 2 13 minutes ago
- › Epibi Nursing Pads by SparkleMaman
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › Should We Stop Acting Like Breastfeeding is a... by Sarah Clark
- › Got Trust? The Antidote for Insecurity &... by Marcy Axness
- › Finding my Tribe After the Death of my Daughter by Melanie Mayo
- › Ten Tips for Surviving Two Under Two by Melanie Mayo
- › The Worry and Wonderment of Parenting by Melanie Mayo
- › 5 Surprising Benefits to Making a Pet a Part... by Melanie Mayo
- › Mining Joy from the Muck of Daily Mothering by Marcy Axness
- › Interview with Blair Lee, author by SavvyHomeschool
- › Mayim Bialik Opens Up About Her Breastfeeding... by Melanie Mayo
- › Freedom Together: Mothering Mavens Try Out... by Melanie Mayo