My daughter (2 1/2) wears SMO orthotics, and with the summer coming up, I want to get her something breathable. Most of these types of shoes that I've seen don't have a removable liner, which would help with the fit. Does anyone have experience and have a specific shoe to recommend?
- productSpecial Kids Need Special Parents: A Resource for Parents of Children with Special Needstagged by System, 3/29/11
Sandals/sneaker sandals to fit over orthotics?
We had great luck getting http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/productdetails?catId=cat1530402SR&productId=8-100834&skuId=***8********4115531*W090&stockNumber=4115531&showDefaultOption=true
this sandle from stride rite to work with ds1's SMO's. We bought this style until they didn't make it in his size anymore. For tennis shoes, I found skechers worked best.
Thanks for the replies. I checked out some of the brands. Keens, especially newport style, aren't the best choice because they don't look like they open wide. I couldn't tell if there is a removable liner. My daughter's PT doesn't like the giant rubber toe in front. She says it's like an obstacle for unsteady walkers.
Queencarr, I took a look at your link. The sandals are cute, but I'm trying to imagine how they fit over SMOs. It looks like it would be hard... no removable liner to make more room, and they don't open wide.
In the end I remembered that a friend used to have sandal sneaker for her son last year, and she told me she got them at Target. I took a look online and found these.
I just received them and they slide onto the orthotics like butter! They have a removable liner, and the two straps on the top make for a large opening. The back has a slit for ventilation, but isn't totally open (it has a "threshhold" up from the sole.)
Hope this helps someone!
Look for something like this: http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/productdetails?catId=cat1530401SR&productId=8-126095&skuId=***8********CG38101*W110&stockNumber=CG38101&showDefaultOption=true
You might have to them to a shoe cobbler to make additional adjustments. We have gone round and round trying to find sandals to go over Gabrielle's braces. Sandals are much harder to find than tennis shoes. Don't get me started on dress shoes. Those are impossible.
You can also look for water sandals similar to this:
They are neoprene and stretch. The problem we had though with the ankle strap is, Gabrielle has a hinged AFO on her right foot. The hinge causes the ankle strap to pop off. Her KAFO on her left leg isn't a problem.
Can I ask a somewhat stupid question? This will be our first full summer with orthotics - when you use them with sandals, do you still put socks on your child? Or do they wear them with bare feet? DS has only worn sneakers with his, so we have always used socks. But now that the warmer weather is here, I've been wondering :)
Hi, We have always cut the toe out of the knee high socks. This way they feel like they have a true sandal on and their little toes get to feel the summer breeze. Also, Croc's ( www.crocs.com ) are great for summer time and fit right over afo's. Hope this helps you to enjoy the summer weather.
- › Bajingo Mamas and Babies - Having babies in our 30s - '11, '12,... 5 minutes ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread~*~ March 2014 7 minutes ago
- › PLEASE HELP….I'M FREAKING OUT EACH TIME MY BABY WAKES AT NIGHT! 7 minutes ago
- › Anyone a Lionbridge Internet Assessor? 10 minutes ago
- › another star publicly refuses to vaccinate and they skewer her in... 11 minutes ago
- › Breastfeeding twins challenge 13 minutes ago
- › met midwife last night, had interesting info about pitocin 18 minutes ago
- › How you know you have "Pregnancy Brain" 21 minutes ago
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- Wolf Moon 22 minutes ago
- › Kids, 10+, what's important? Also: getting kids informed 22 minutes ago
- › By Marie Winn - The Plug-In Drug: Television, Computers, and Family... by Catholic Mama
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › Low Prep Art Projects for Kids by AmandaK
- › 8 Ways Natural Birth Helps With Breastfeeding by Sarah Clark
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild