or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Florida, Georgia, Alabama › If you could live anywhere in Florida, where would it be?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If you could live anywhere in Florida, where would it be? - Page 2

post #21 of 38

Our family just moved to the Ocala area this year.  I've been trying to find some crunchy cons since arriving.  Anyone from Ocala here?

post #22 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomHeartMother View Post

i lived in florida all my life, have been all over the state in my travels, and have lived in s & n fl... best i can add is tallahassee and gainesville would be your best bets, mainly because they are surrounded by a lot of open rural land and are college town (tally, of course, also being the state capitol). i grew up in western palm beach county and highly recommend that area as well, especially since real estate prices have dropped back down to where they should be. however, stay away from jacksonville.



Dare I ask why to stay away from Jacksonville?  It's a possibility for us - and we don't have many options right now. 

post #23 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinky View Post

Dare I ask why to stay away from Jacksonville?  It's a possibility for us - and we don't have many options right now. 

 


Nothing wrong with Jacksonville.  I've got got cousins who live up there and are working professionals.  Jax is known for some "bad" areas.  There are some rural communities around Jacksonville which might be worth looking into.  

 

post #24 of 38

The Tampa Bay Area is great!! I LOVE Clearwater/Dunedin/Safety Harbor.... easy access to Tampa/St. Petersburg, BEAUTIFUL beaches....

When we moved here from New England 6 years ago, it felt like home immediately.

 

You may not necessarily be able to get as much land in the cities I mentioned, but If you go a little farther north, or even down to Manatee/Sarasota counties (south of St. Petersburg), you may be able to get more.

post #25 of 38

I came here to ask info about moving to Florida too!

 

MamaPisces, just curious why you wouldn't raise kids in Orlando or Miami?

 

What do you mean about summers being brutal? I mean, how hot does it get?

post #26 of 38

i currently live in jacksonville, and have for a few years now (minus a year-long stint back in south florida) and i can't wait to leave. if you're looking for a place to make a home that offers a lot of cultural and out-of-school learning activities, jax is not the place you want to be. with two art museums, a medocre performing arts community, and schools that one could simply define as "meh", i wouldn't recommend a family to move here, considering the other options available within the state of florida. this is a city where the college educated seem to leave because of the lack of jobs outside of call center and logistics work. as a young single woman, this city was pretty decent to me, but career wise it hasn't treated me so well, but that's neither here nor there. maybe i'm homesick, but i truly miss the cultural availabilities i was afford in south florida. now with a child on the way, i want him to have those same opportunities for development that i did. we're on a two-year plan to move, with orlando, tampa, west palm beach, and tallahassee (i have a gov't background) being on the short list.

 

but, that's my 2¢. :)

post #27 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachLove View Post

The Tampa Bay Area is great!! I LOVE Clearwater/Dunedin/Safety Harbor.... easy access to Tampa/St. Petersburg, BEAUTIFUL beaches....

When we moved here from New England 6 years ago, it felt like home immediately.

 

You may not necessarily be able to get as much land in the cities I mentioned, but If you go a little farther north, or even down to Manatee/Sarasota counties (south of St. Petersburg), you may be able to get more.

This is the area I want to live in.  *sigh*  Jealous!  Tell me everything? :D  Have you been to the Sarasota Children's Garden?  It looks amazing! 

http://www.sarasotachildrensgarden.com/index.html
 

 

post #28 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettypixels View Post



This is the area I want to live in.  *sigh*  Jealous!  Tell me everything? :D  Have you been to the Sarasota Children's Garden?  It looks amazing! 

http://www.sarasotachildrensgarden.com/index.html
 

 

I have not been there, but it looks really cool! I haven't done too much down in Sarasota, actually.

 

I am seriously in love with where we live though. The views when you drive over any of the bridges are postcard-perfect. The sunsets are really vivid. The weather is amazing. Just everything!!

 

We go to the gulf beaches every chance we get. The water is like bathwater at this time of year and usually very calm. The beaches are white sand, and there is usually a nice little sea breeze to keep the temperature perfect.

Tampa has the Lowry Park Zoo which is really great, lots of rides and things in addition to a great "collection" of animals.

We love taking walks along the bay in downtown St. Petersburg or Safety Harbor, and the gulf/harbor in downtown Clearwater. There is also a really cool nature park in St. Petersburg (Sawgrass Lake Park) where you can walk along boardwalks and see alligators.

 

...And that is just off the top of my head :)
 

 

post #29 of 38

I Would Look Into Orlando.

More HomeSchooling Groups, Urban, DisneyWorldbiggrinbounce.gif.

I've Moved To Florida From California And Have Only Been Here For A Little Over Two Years.

I'm In Brevard County And Hate It Here To Me It's The Country Lol.

post #30 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View PostI grew up in Miami and lived in Orlando for 5 years, and there is no way I would raise my kids in either place.



I'm Curious Too.

Why Wouldn't You Raise Your Children In Orlando Or Miami?

What Was/Were/Is Wrong With These Two Cities?

These Are My First Two Picks If I Don't Relocate Out Of The Country.

post #31 of 38

In Miami there is a lot of crime and just waaaaaay to many people, and too much pretentiousness. It seems to me(and this is jmo, but I did live there for 25 years) that all most people care about is how much money you have, who your friends are, and what you look like. It's all fake, and pretty much spiritually void. Not to mention that the public school system in Florida is seriously lacking, or at least it was when I was in it.

Orlando is a tad bit better in that respect, but my perspective of the city was from working in the restaurant and bar business, which allowed me to witness the amount of people that do drugs on a regular basis. That's in any city though, the more people there are in a given area, the more craziness you're going to see. Ever since we moved to the country I just can't imagine raising my kids in a big city. Just my 2 cents.

post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post

In Miami there is a lot of crime and just waaaaaay to many people, and too much pretentiousness. It seems to me(and this is jmo, but I did live there for 25 years) that all most people care about is how much money you have, who your friends are, and what you look like. It's all fake, and pretty much spiritually void. Not to mention that the public school system in Florida is seriously lacking, or at least it was when I was in it.

Orlando is a tad bit better in that respect, but my perspective of the city was from working in the restaurant and bar business, which allowed me to witness the amount of people that do drugs on a regular basis. That's in any city though, the more people there are in a given area, the more craziness you're going to see. Ever since we moved to the country I just can't imagine raising my kids in a big city. Just my 2 cents.

 

Native Floridian here, and I agree 100%.  Orlando and Miami is just urban sprawl and hospitality industry run amok.  Don't get me started on South Florida... it might be a nice place if it weren't for the Skunk Ape, haha.
 

 

post #33 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post



 

Native Floridian here, and I agree 100%.  Orlando and Miami is just urban sprawl and hospitality industry run amok.  Don't get me started on South Florida... it might be a nice place if it weren't for the Skunk Ape, haha.
 

 



The Skunk Ape??!! lol

 

post #34 of 38

skunk ape is a really terrific ipa made by florida brewing... but, um, i'm think i'm posting on the wrong forum... ;)

post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post

In Miami there is a lot of crime and just waaaaaay to many people, and too much pretentiousness. It seems to me(and this is jmo, but I did live there for 25 years) that all most people care about is how much money you have, who your friends are, and what you look like. It's all fake, and pretty much spiritually void. Not to mention that the public school system in Florida is seriously lacking, or at least it was when I was in it.

Orlando is a tad bit better in that respect, but my perspective of the city was from working in the restaurant and bar business, which allowed me to witness the amount of people that do drugs on a regular basis. That's in any city though, the more people there are in a given area, the more craziness you're going to see. Ever since we moved to the country I just can't imagine raising my kids in a big city. Just my 2 cents.



Born and raised in Miami and I also agree 100%. It is HORRIBLE. Now that I have children I am REALLY considering moving else where. All my family is here but it really is not a good place to raise children IMO.

 

post #36 of 38

We moved from FL up to Georgia for DH'a new job. But I still dearly miss it and it definitely feels way more like home when we visit. We lived just south of Gainesville in a cute little town called Micanopy. Lots of artists, musicians, and beautiful quirky folks. And only 10 minutes to Gainesville with all it's college town attractions. Runner- up recommendation would be where I went to college, Sarasota. Right on the gulf and I sure miss all that tropica fruit. Good luck with your move!

post #37 of 38

.


Edited by greatgatsby - 8/23/13 at 6:29pm
post #38 of 38

I love Jacksonville.  It's not so bad as people say, you just have to find your niche.  I know plenty of crunchy moms and we always need some more to build up the community!   I grew up here and have lived lots of other places, but I came back.  It's a nice place to raise a family, is beautiful in many areas (beach/river), and overall is a pretty simple place.  I think often people try to compare it to a big city and say there is nothing to do, and it does lean conservative politically.  However, I wouldn't describe it as rural... after reading your initial post, I definitely thought of Gainesville.  It's a great place with a great community, and there are lots of rural areas all around.  Check it out!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Florida, Georgia, Alabama
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Florida, Georgia, Alabama › If you could live anywhere in Florida, where would it be?