I grew up in Oregon, and even though they're right next door, I could probably count the times I've been to WA, on one hand.
Dh and I are just looking for something new and he hates his current job, so the idea of moving to a new area has been coming up. We still love the pacific northwest, so we're curious about Washington.
Are there any notable differences between Oregon and Washington? (other than sales tax)
We're going to stay at a friend's house in Seattle, and I'm wondering which towns we should check out.
Here are some things we'd like:
- We'd like to be close to the ocean. Either a beach town or something no more than an hour a away. (we both grew up in beach towns, so they feel like home)
- Any areas that are warmer or less rainy?
- A college town would be nice.
- Other than that we're into art, saturday markets, natural food stores, coffee shops, camping, going to the beach, eating out (seafood, thai, indian, japanese, other ethnic foods), a good hospital with a nice birthing center in it, within a couple hours from the airport, good schools, maybe a montessori preschool.
- We have a 13 month old son, (and plan to have more), so anything good for kids.
- More liberal than conservative.
- Not a crazy amount of traffic.
- Dh is a Programmer/Analyst/IT guy....but possibly wanting to get into the Earth Science field. I am an artist.
- Decent home & rental prices.
I know there's no perfect place with all of our preferences, but I thought it would be helpful.
Thanks so much!
Edited by GuavaGirl - 3/23/11 at 9:22am