Argh! I have 1 pound of chicken feet from an awesome organic, free range farm. They were frozen. I put them (wrapped in the plastic bag that they were frozen in) in a bowl on the counter this morning at 11:30am. Then didn't manage to get them into the stock pot until 9:15pm. I should have put them in the fridge, I now realize after a bit of internet research. Would you toss the stock or eat it? Would you eat just a tiny taste and see if you got sick, then eat the rest? I'm so frustrated...
Would you eat this?
Poll Results: (see details below before answering) Would you eat chicken stock made from improperly thawed chicken?
How long did you cook the stock for? My recipe calls for simmering for 12-24 hours...I'm pretty sure any bacteria would be killed by spending 12-24 hours in a simmer/boiling pot. The standard for boiling water to make it safe to drink is 20 minutes. If it was boiled for more than 20 minutes, I'd say it was safe.
Thanks all, I'm still undecided...it gelled up so nicely it's a total bummer to toss it, but I'm concerned. I cooked it for 9.5 hours and then got it right in the fridge (which seems like enough to kill bacteria), but I know that some stuff (like botulism) produces toxins as it grows and then leaves them there even after it's killed off. I don't know how much would make me sick and whether tasting a tiny bit would be enough to tell me (without making me TOO sick) whether the stuff was okay...