Originally Posted by akind1
Carrie if I remember my biology right, does that mean a 50% chance of being a carrier for Duarte's? and if one is classic/Duartes (not sure if that is an option, because I hadn't heard of the condition before either) what does that mean for the baby? and is there a chance you and Chris both pass a normal gene to baby Logan?
I spent a few minutes making punnet squares, lol, and this is what I came up with.
IF Chris is only a carrier for Duartes (D/N) then there is a greater chance baby will just be a carrier. He could also get two normal genes and be perfectly fine. So 50% chance just a carrier, 25% chance normal. 25% he'll have Duartes Galactosemia. Nora, for example, is D/N. She is just a carrier and is healthy, normal, no medications, and no dietary restrictions.
IF Chris has one Classic and one Duartes (C/D) then baby could inherit one C from me and one D from him, and he will have Duartes Galactosemia. BUT, worse than that, he could inherit the C from Chris and the C from me and end up completely full blown Classic - and that's the incredibly scary troublesome one. (Or, on the plus side, he could still inherit one N from me and only be a carrier -- so 50% chance of being JUST a carrier.)
The thing is, if Chris has one Classic and one Duartes - HE would have Duarte's Galactosemia, which seems odd. We don't actually think he *has* this disorder. So the chances are small of this scenario. But maybe he does have it? People with Duartes have enzyme activity, and would explain a lot of his issues with dairy growing up. We just don't know.
I think the only scenario that would warrant an amnio is if Chris also has the Classic gene. We would need to know before the birth (or at least right away after birth) if baby has full Classic. That's a huge deal because breastmilk would be dangerous and we'd have to start soy formula from birth.
I'm sorry to hijack our thread with this, but I know you girls the best and just feel like you all hear me and get how serious this could be.
I have to say, though, knowing this ahead of time is a blessing. When Nora was 8 days old and the world fell apart, I was devastated. At least this time, I get to plan for formula feeding and grieve the loss of nursing BEFORE having a hungry newborn in my arms.
And -- of course I'm still in love with this baby and I know worst case scenario, he's going to be an awesome little boy. It's just I worry for him if he has Classic. It would be a bit of a struggle for him growing up with diet. Though, he would fit right in to our vegan lifestyle for sure!
And I'm still trying to come up with a name. I think Logan can be his in utero nickname or something. When we were outlet shopping yesterday, there was a baby Logan in a stroller at Carters and it really, really irked me. I think it would be too annoying to me, regardless of how much I like the name, to have THAT MANY other babies/kids with the same name. I might be being small minded about this, but whatever. This is probably my last baby and I want his name to be as awesome as he is!!