I'm curious about what other mamas are doing for their one year olds? I'd like to get something special that DD will enjoy and not just toss in a corner to collect dust. What has worked well for you and what was a waste of money? All ideas welcome!
Related Forum Threads
- birthday party drama and hurt feelings Last post on 9/16/13 at 4:42pm in The Childhood Years
- Anyone else feel birthday parties are becoming too much? Last post on 8/4/13 at 3:05pm in Parenting
- Birthday invitation question Last post on 7/1/13 at 7:54pm in The Childhood Years
- How big a deal do you make of your kids' birthdays? Last post on 7/4/13 at 8:56am in Parenting
- Summer birthday parties - got any ideas for me? Last post on 6/13/13 at 5:34pm in Parenting
Why Birthdays Matter
Last edited: 5/31/13
- things that happened when the teacher visited that I wish had not.Last edited: 3/5/13
- things that happened when the teacher visited that I wish had not.
What did/are you get(ting) your 1 year old on their first birthday?
I guess you could call it DD's early bday present. I got her a soft pink little foam chair that has a poodle's head and feet. It was on sale, and was the last one at Hobby Lobby, so I couldn't resist. I have friends who's kids just love their little chairs from DD's age (10 mos) through kindergarten and beyond.
Well, I can't tell you how they were received, since my girl's birthday is two days after yours! But this is what we've gotten her so far:
- A set of 5 playsilks (similar to this, just less pieces and slightly bigger size)
- A backyard play structure (we couldn't fit wooden in our tiny yard, so we had to go with plastic)
I know that my IL's have gotten her a metal, all-terrain Radio Flyer wagon with removable wooden sides, and I know that my parents are getting her her first dolly and some musical instruments, and I know that my aunt and uncle have gotten her some Melissa and Doug wooden toys. Other than that, not sure what she's going to get! I did make my preference for wooden, cloth and more "passive" toys known, though.
I would really love for my family to chip in and get a small wooden playhouse. Our yard isn't very large, but we will be moving in the next year or so and we could take it with us! It could be a joint gift for DD/DS who have summer birthdays, because they don't need much and I know they would both love it.
Based on another "1st birthday" MDC thread suggestion, we got our LO (who turned 1 on Saturday) a Whacky Ball. It is available both at Target and some independent toy stores. Much to my surprise, he loved it and was able to use the little hammer to mash the balls in almost immediately. That's the only present we got him and I feel just fine about it. He still gnaws books constantly, so I could not get him a first birthday book BUT...a suggestion (I did this with my older son)...when you get your LO a book that is special for a birthday or holiday or whatever...use a Sharpie to trace his/her hand in it and date it. They love looking back at how little their hands used to be! Happy birthday, everybody!
We did income tax return "Christmas" lol, the beginning of this month, so when dd was 10 months.
There were things I wanted to get her but didn't but I ended up getting her:
a chunky wooden puzzle with knobs
another baby doll (she already had one) and a stroller
wooden shape sorter
wooden blocks, which she loves, but this was a joint thing for her and ds, and they are pretty small, so I am looking now for some bigger ones.
we did it dora. Yes, I know, plastic crap, way overpriced, but she freaking loves this thing (the rest of us don't lol). She stands up and dances whenever the song plays. I'm a sucker, what can I say? and she combs dora's hair with her little brush.
Some other things we are getting soon hopefully....a wagon, and/or some kind of outdoor ride on toy. toy kitchen, pop up tent/tunnel.
For now we are good with the blocks, but I am planning on getting her some big legos as well. She really seems to "get" it and tries to stack the blocks rather than just knocking them over all the time.
I sewed a doll for my son when he turned one. It was a great swap for a hard, cold plastic thing he'd been carrying around for a few months. A (financially comfrotable) friend of mine bought her son a wooden kitchen set from Nova Naturals which her 1 year old, 4 year old, and 8 year old all play with!
Whatever you get for your daughter, as long as you choose it with love I'm sure she'll love it! Good luck!
I'm wondering the same thing! My daughter turns one in June, and I want to get her something special, but I can't think of anything. The only thing I can think of is a growth chart since we don't live in a house where we can mark on the door frame. I don't want to do too much 'cause I know she is going to get so much for her birthday!!
My oldest got a little ride on bike toy for her first birthday. Can't remember what my older son got but my third got a new stroller. He has so many toys from the older two, but our stroller was shot (bought with dd) so he wasn't getting out unless he was in the sling and I wanted him to have a new perspective. He loves it!
One thing I made for my LO who just had her birthday was a fabric wallet and then I laminated some photos of her and her siblings and our pet. They fit in the card slots. She loves taking my cards out, so I thought this would be perfect.
I had done this for my older one, but it needed updating with all the new kids. I made doubles of all the little photo cards and laminated them too and they are to play with. Right now she just looks through them, but later they can be used for memory...go fish, whatever!
Other things she plays with are balls, mini climber with slide we had, stroller, blocks. She recently got a pinwheel and got a big kick out of it as well as Mylar balloons.
We got DD a "trichair", a wooden high chair that triples as a rocking horse and a desk/chair that has been an awesome addition to our eating situation. She loves eating at the desk/chair.
My parents got her a Melissa and Doug walker with alligatiors. She is obsessed with it. MIL got a plastic piano that makes electronic noises. DD loves it, Im not a huge fan...but it will eventually run out of batteries.
Love, love, love, love this! Consider the idea stolen !
we got a leapfrog learn & grove musical table and he hasn't stopped playing with it. he especially likes to keep switching it from english to spanish.
- › Found It!! -- California Vaccine Exemption Waiver -- Where can I... 22 seconds ago
- › February '09 Mamas ~ Childhood Chat :) 3 minutes ago
- › Dingo Bells, Dingo Bells, Dingo all the Way!!!! 4 minutes ago
- › Single Mamas By Choice 8 minutes ago
- › Queer, Pregnant & Parenting October, November & December 2013! 29 minutes ago
- › Ever feel stuck? 40 minutes ago
- › Jokes and Cartoons 43 minutes ago
- › I think I am avoiding homework :lol: Is it possible to avoid... 47 minutes ago
- › Who's wearing maternity clothes? 49 minutes ago
- › The "Progressing / Positive / Impending / I'm in Labor" Thread 52 minutes ago
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › GroVia Cloth All In One - Pudge by Taqah
- › North American Bear Company Rosy Cheeks Baby Tan by Taqah
- › Maya Wrap Lightly Padded Baby Sling by Taqah
- › Bamboletta Doll by sleeping mama
- › Melissa & Doug Cutting Food Box by ahilal
- › Prince Lionheart Whirl Balance Scooter, Natural/Pink by Melanie Mayo
- › Elves and Angels Sylvie's Wood Kitchen by Melanie Mayo
- › Natural Earth Paints Face Paint by Melanie Mayo
- › Glob Greeting Card Collage Kit with Seedpaper by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo
- › Terms and Conditions: Holiday Cards Giveaway... by Cynthia Mosher
- › Mothering's Natural Toy Guide 2013 by Monica S
- › Top 20 Toy Picks for 2013 | Mothering Natural... by Melanie Mayo
- › 21 Toys Under $21 | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo
- › Toys to Splurge On | Mothering Natural Toy... by Melanie Mayo