or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who is cloth diapering? - Page 2

post #21 of 112

I think I am with you, I bought a pack of Seventh Gen last time until we were done with meconium poops and after we ran through that bag of diapers I was ready for the Kissaluvs. :)

post #22 of 112

I am CDing too! And this is my first. I pretty much have followed my baby sister here to MDC, to attachment parenting and CDing... so I've learned as much as possible up to this point. I have a dozen OS FBs and 2 dozen similar OS pockets from a WAHM. I'm hoping I'll get some more at my shower, but no one I know cloth diapers... so we'll see. My mother is really into the new ones, compared to the regular ones with the plastic pants, so I'm sure I'll get a few more kinds to try out before I'm ready to use them. I'm SO excited. It's really the only thing I have splurged on, as I'm getting a lot of hand-me-downs from my boss' wife and second-hand and consignment stores.

post #23 of 112

I used prefold's with a "snappy diaper clip" with a variety of covers for both of my kids but I think Id like to try out some AIO's this time around. I was doing some research on what out there since my last was out of diapers (apx 2004) and I found this cool chart on comparison costs of cloth, diaper service and disposables:

 

http://www.notyourmamasclothdiapers.com/shop/

 

the link is listed on the bottom. I'm not endorsing the company, cause Ive never even heard of them but the chart looks very realistic.

 

Ive also noticed there are "natural disposables" on the market now (ex. Earths Best chlorine free)..which kind of makes me giggle, how natural can a disposable diaper be after all! Anyone have any experience with these? I have to admit Ive had some lazy moments with baby #2 and found using one disposable a night let us all sleep a little better, where is with #1 I exclusively used cloth till he was 2 and potty trained. Plus Baby #2 had the worst diaper rashes I have ever seen on a baby n my life and I had to be really careful not to leave wet cloth on her for any length of time, what I washed them in, what I ate, which disposable etc...on that note Bordeaux's Butt Paste is a lifesaver!!!! baby.gif

post #24 of 112
Thread Starter 

I am using 7th Generation disposables right now with my DS, I'm so tired and pregnant I can't manage to do anything! They are biodegradable and chlorine free, and they don't have known carcinogens in the materials like regular sposies do.

 

Plus I can get them on Amazon mom and I get a HUGE box, like 130 count for $25!

post #25 of 112

Sounds like a great back up! And if I were you Id be doing the same thing! Way better than pampers and sounds cheaper! I will definitely grab a box of those from Amazon along with my cloth stash. THANKS!

post #26 of 112

I'm pregnant with my first and planning on CDing as well. I just went out and bought 6 prefolds, a cute cover, one kissaluvs fitted, one thirsties pocket diaper (my sister's fave), one bum genius 4.0, and one other one I can't remember lol. I figure I'll try a bunch out and see what works for me and what I like. My DH thinks I'm a bit nutty, but once he saw the diapers I think he realized that it's not that big of a deal.

 

I really like seeing what other people think of different brands, and from what I can tell every baby is different and different diapers work better on different babies so we'll see what I end up liking :)

 

Anyone used those sprayers that you attach to your toilet to spray off any leftover residue? I want to get one but DH doesn't think we should. I'd love to see what people who have used cloth in the past think about them.

post #27 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post

You know it's funny because I can put a prefold on a 2 year old no problem, but a newborn....forget it LOL! I don't know what was so hard about it...

 

 

No, I didn't have any inserts- are they supposed to come with them? I got some on FSOT and they didn't have any :o I have gotten about 90% of my stash used on FSOT, and I figure I can sell them for a pretty good price afterward so what the heck :p If DH actually knew how much I was spending on it he'd probably have a heart attack!

 

I used prefolds on my son in the beginning and the bulk is pretty hilarious :D  Especially if you have kids like mine who don't get any of the cute chub on their little legs :D  It reminds me of the younger brother in "A Christmas Story" in the snow suit :)

 

I bought the thin inserts that basically keep the dipe clean during the meconium phase.  That probably wouldn't work for you because I think they were some kind of thin fleece.  I found them plenty absorbent w/o inserts for my daughter but she never really peed like crazy.  But if she had, I'd probably have tried some of the inserts I had from other dipes.  They work way better than disposables on blowouts in my experience.  Though it's been 5 years since I had an infant so maybe dipes have changed.  RE: the spending: I don't like to calculate how much I spend on diapering the first time around :O
 

 

post #28 of 112


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonRH View Post

I'm pregnant with my first and planning on CDing as well. I just went out and bought 6 prefolds, a cute cover, one kissaluvs fitted, one thirsties pocket diaper (my sister's fave), one bum genius 4.0, and one other one I can't remember lol. I figure I'll try a bunch out and see what works for me and what I like. My DH thinks I'm a bit nutty, but once he saw the diapers I think he realized that it's not that big of a deal.

 

I really like seeing what other people think of different brands, and from what I can tell every baby is different and different diapers work better on different babies so we'll see what I end up liking :)

 

Anyone used those sprayers that you attach to your toilet to spray off any leftover residue? I want to get one but DH doesn't think we should. I'd love to see what people who have used cloth in the past think about them.



I think you are absolutely right that you have to wait and see what works for your babe.  I have skinny babies and FuzziBunz ended up working the best for me.  Most others gap at the legs which kind of renders them useless :)

 

I use the sprayer and wouldn't use cloth w/o it!  I think it, again, depends on your child.  For some reason, neither of my kids really had very solid waste in the diapering stage so for me, the sprayer is a necessity.

 

post #29 of 112

Quote:

Originally Posted by AllisonRH View Post
Anyone used those sprayers that you attach to your toilet to spray off any leftover residue? I want to get one but DH doesn't think we should. I'd love to see what people who have used cloth in the past think about them.

We used and loved the Potty Pail system. I liked the idea of a sprayer, but did not like the idea of overspray, so the Potty Pail was perfect. It keeps everything contained. We still use the sprayer to clean out DS's little potty and we will use the pail again for the new baby's diapers.
 

 

post #30 of 112
I prefer prefolds and covers for day and bamboo fitteds and stacinator so simple covers at night(after baby stops pooping all night long). I used diaper rite prefolds on dd.
I love them! For detergent we use crunchy clean.
post #31 of 112
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hck73 View Post


 



I think you are absolutely right that you have to wait and see what works for your babe.  I have skinny babies and FuzziBunz ended up working the best for me.  Most others gap at the legs which kind of renders them useless :)

 

I use the sprayer and wouldn't use cloth w/o it!  I think it, again, depends on your child.  For some reason, neither of my kids really had very solid waste in the diapering stage so for me, the sprayer is a necessity.

 


Yes! Definitely try and see what works! It's not as big of a deal for the newborn stage, but after that you don't want to go and buy like 24 BGs or Fuzzi Bunz and THEN decide that you don't like them kwim?

 

We didn't have a diaper sprayer but probably should have lol....I just did an extra rinse on cold in the washer before actually washing them. When (if) the baby is EBF then you don't really have to worry about it because breastmilk poo is pretty water soluble and doesn't stink!

 

post #32 of 112

I love, love, love prefolds! If any of you want to sell yours that you got and don't like, I've put mine through 3 boys already and am ready to buy a new stash. :) I've tried Kissaluvs and made my own fitteds, but I like the ease of washing and line drying the prefolds. We have a sprayer on our basement toilet. It sure makes clean up easy!

post #33 of 112

I have a sprayer I got from Home Depot that attaches to the shower head and made my own Potty Pail. I didn't use cloth with DD until about 6 months but I'm really excited to start right away with this one. Plus new diapers are pretty much the only thing I'll need to buy this time around.

Also I'm going to try ECing, so I'm hoping the diaper part won't be too much work. I don't love doing laundry. :)

post #34 of 112

I used cloth with my 5 since birth & will again this time. We just use prefolds & covers. I've always found meconium just as easy to wash off as any other poo & I began to wonder if it's just some sort of myth to get moms hooked on buying plastic diapers from the beginning. We use homemade laundry soap. However, we do use a diaper service now. :)

post #35 of 112

Has anybody tried the Bummis cloth diapers? I'm seriously considering buying their organic kit which seems to have everything I'd need.  This is our first baby and I definitely want to use cloth diapers.  I got a few packs of Huggies Naturals diapers for newborns which we'll use of course, but after that I want to switch to cloth.  There are so many choices its overwhelming, and I really don't have the time, energy or money to try a bunch of different styles and brands.

 

http://www.littlefornow.com/item_255/Bummis-Cloth-Diapering-Kit-Organic-Prefolds.htm

 

If anyone has used them, I'd love to hear about your experiences!

post #36 of 112

We've been using mainly bumgenius organic all-in-ones since our daughter was about a month old. She's a year old now and they're still going strong. They do get odor build up somehow (start to smell like trash!) so if anyone has any good solutions for that, I'd love to hear it. But we love them. They're easy to use, easy to clean, look adorable and they grow with her. She's tall and lean and they have fit her perfectly (just too big in the first month). They have only leaked for us a few times and I think it's because the cloth part was sticking out a little by the leg. I would definitely recommend them. They are pricey but we asked people to buy them for us before she was born so we got them in bits and pieces. And we never have to think about diapers again, even for our next child. Oh, we also had some organic hemp diapers (I forget the brand) with snaps and I really liked them when she was smaller. They were soft and comfy but a bit bulkier than the AIO.

post #37 of 112

Bummis is my favorite cover. I'm not aware of their cloth diapers, but there's always new stuff popping up in cloth.

post #38 of 112
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestday View Post

Bummis is my favorite cover. I'm not aware of their cloth diapers, but there's always new stuff popping up in cloth.

I think it's just a kit with organic prefolds and Bummis covers? I liked the Bummis covers as well and I will be getting a couple more of those.
 

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by crouching View Post

We've been using mainly bumgenius organic all-in-ones since our daughter was about a month old. She's a year old now and they're still going strong. They do get odor build up somehow (start to smell like trash!) so if anyone has any good solutions for that, I'd love to hear it. But we love them. They're easy to use, easy to clean, look adorable and they grow with her. She's tall and lean and they have fit her perfectly (just too big in the first month). They have only leaked for us a few times and I think it's because the cloth part was sticking out a little by the leg. I would definitely recommend them. They are pricey but we asked people to buy them for us before she was born so we got them in bits and pieces. And we never have to think about diapers again, even for our next child. Oh, we also had some organic hemp diapers (I forget the brand) with snaps and I really liked them when she was smaller. They were soft and comfy but a bit bulkier than the AIO.


What kind of detergent are you using? They might need to be stripped or something.

 

post #39 of 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phineasmama View Post

 

What kind of detergent are you using? They might need to be stripped or something.

 


How do you strip diapers?  I think I need to do that with the ones I have in storage.

post #40 of 112
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerCathy View Post




How do you strip diapers?  I think I need to do that with the ones I have in storage.


There are several different methods:

 

http://www.zany-zebra.com/stripping-cloth-diapers.shtml

 

I used Charlie's powder soap that I can buy at our local Earth Fare, and I actually never had a problem once I switched to that detergent. BUT I read on another board that a mom ruined her front loader washer by using it, and the repair dude told her it was too caustic or something. So I'm not really sure what to do about that since we JUST bought super duper expensive front loaders when our other set kicked the bucket irked.gif

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: September 2011