We live in the UK but will be visiting my family in the US in the summer. My dd will be a few weeks away from turning 4, maybe even turning 4 there. In our car, she uses an extended rearfacing car seat. I need to have my mom find a car seat for her to use there on Freecycle, but what do almost 4 year olds use? I don't want to buy one, and will deal with her forward facing while there!
- categoryCar Seatstagged by System, 3/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Would you fly without a car seat? Last post on 1/24/14 at 7:19am in Family Safety
- What comes after a FF 65lb limit seat? Last post on 7/24/13 at 7:57pm in Family Safety
- Convertible carseat for an older Subaru? Last post on 9/8/13 at 9:02am in Family Safety
- Is it safe to reaface a child Last post on 7/19/13 at 12:20pm in Family Safety
- should i switch to a boster seat Last post on 6/20/13 at 11:12am in Parenting
Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping into a Store?
Last edited: 3/10/14
- Five Children Die Each Day in Car CrashesLast edited: 3/7/13
- Five Children Die Each Day in Car Crashes
What car seat for almost 4 year old?
most 4 year old (for that matter most 3 year olds) are NOT in rear facing car seats here
First I would check with the type of car you are using plus your child's weight and height to find the proper type (our car only can take certain types) and I would never use freecycle to get one - I know two people that were given seats that were in accidents, a lot of people use it to just dump seats you really need to check
most states have free car seat checks that can be done by local police to see that it is in properly and adjusted for the child
Depending on her weight and height, there are some 4 yr olds that are rear facing. Very few!! But the AAP finally came out with 2 yr old rear facing guidelines, so we are on our way.
My 4 yr old almost 5 is in a Graco Nautilus (sp). It goes to 100 #. Why don't you bring the seat with you? I always travel with mine. At least within the states, it's free to send. At least, you would know how to use it and then take it back with you.
Go to the babycenter.com car seat page. They know all! Not sure if mothering has a page.
Depending on height and weight you could use a variety of seats including front or rear facing 5 ft harness, if over 4 and 40+ lbs you can legally use a booster (highback or backless) with a seat belt in most states. I think a ff 5 pt harness is most likely to fit your needs. There are alot of options that fit that need. Here are examples of possibilities, you can see there are many many choices.
Please post height and weight. You might also consider posting to family safety.
In the US, most insurance companies will pay to replace carseats when they've been in accident. But they don't necessarily insure the carseats are destoryed I would urge you not to get a carseat from Freecycle. Odds are it is expired or non-functional or been in an accident if they are giving it away for free. If they thought it had value they would try and sell it on Craig's List and I wouldn't buy one there either.
Most near-4 year olds are harnessed in FF seats. I would have your mom purchase a new Evenflo Maestro. It has a FF weight limit of 50 pounds, and a nice tall harness that fits older kids. It is a FF seat only. They can be found for $80. Here's the seat at Target, Walmart (on sale!), Babies R Us, and at Burlington Coat Factory (also on sale!). Most people have at least one of these stores nearby, though it'd also be easy to order online.
Please do not just use a Freecycle seat. You would not know if the seat was properly cared for. Not all damage is visible to the naked eye. It could have been in a car accident, dropped, checked as baggage on a plane and treated roughly, the straps washed in harsh cleaners... all things that would be difficult or impossible to see, but could compromise the seat's safety. The Maestro is a great seat, and relatively inexpensive. If money was really tight, you could consider selling it at the end of the summer on Craigslist for $40 or so.
Have a great trip!
- › February chat thread 28 seconds ago
- › Wanting But Waiting 2014 48 seconds ago
- › Anyone not doing 1st trimester blood tests? 1 minute ago
- › does coconut oil kill sperm? 5 minutes ago
- › Breastfeeding and weight gain 6 minutes ago
- › Introducing solids 7 minutes ago
- › Grumble: chicken pox 12 minutes ago
- › Exercise During Pregnancy 14 minutes ago
- › Need help with ds 17 minutes ago
- › Heartbroken & whole other host of emotions 25 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher
- › Does Siri Thwart Social Intelligence? by Melanie Mayo