We live in the UK but will be visiting my family in the US in the summer. My dd will be a few weeks away from turning 4, maybe even turning 4 there. In our car, she uses an extended rearfacing car seat. I need to have my mom find a car seat for her to use there on Freecycle, but what do almost 4 year olds use? I don't want to buy one, and will deal with her forward facing while there!
- categoryCar Seatstagged by System, 3/29/11
Related Forum Threads
- Would you fly without a car seat? Last post on Today at 8:44 am in Family Safety
- What comes after a FF 65lb limit seat? Last post on 7/24/13 at 7:57pm in Family Safety
- Convertible carseat for an older Subaru? Last post on 9/8/13 at 9:02am in Family Safety
- Is it safe to reaface a child Last post on 7/19/13 at 12:20pm in Family Safety
- should i switch to a boster seat Last post on 6/20/13 at 11:12am in Parenting
What car seat for almost 4 year old?
most 4 year old (for that matter most 3 year olds) are NOT in rear facing car seats here
First I would check with the type of car you are using plus your child's weight and height to find the proper type (our car only can take certain types) and I would never use freecycle to get one - I know two people that were given seats that were in accidents, a lot of people use it to just dump seats you really need to check
most states have free car seat checks that can be done by local police to see that it is in properly and adjusted for the child
Depending on her weight and height, there are some 4 yr olds that are rear facing. Very few!! But the AAP finally came out with 2 yr old rear facing guidelines, so we are on our way.
My 4 yr old almost 5 is in a Graco Nautilus (sp). It goes to 100 #. Why don't you bring the seat with you? I always travel with mine. At least within the states, it's free to send. At least, you would know how to use it and then take it back with you.
Go to the babycenter.com car seat page. They know all! Not sure if mothering has a page.
Depending on height and weight you could use a variety of seats including front or rear facing 5 ft harness, if over 4 and 40+ lbs you can legally use a booster (highback or backless) with a seat belt in most states. I think a ff 5 pt harness is most likely to fit your needs. There are alot of options that fit that need. Here are examples of possibilities, you can see there are many many choices.
Please post height and weight. You might also consider posting to family safety.
In the US, most insurance companies will pay to replace carseats when they've been in accident. But they don't necessarily insure the carseats are destoryed I would urge you not to get a carseat from Freecycle. Odds are it is expired or non-functional or been in an accident if they are giving it away for free. If they thought it had value they would try and sell it on Craig's List and I wouldn't buy one there either.
Most near-4 year olds are harnessed in FF seats. I would have your mom purchase a new Evenflo Maestro. It has a FF weight limit of 50 pounds, and a nice tall harness that fits older kids. It is a FF seat only. They can be found for $80. Here's the seat at Target, Walmart (on sale!), Babies R Us, and at Burlington Coat Factory (also on sale!). Most people have at least one of these stores nearby, though it'd also be easy to order online.
Please do not just use a Freecycle seat. You would not know if the seat was properly cared for. Not all damage is visible to the naked eye. It could have been in a car accident, dropped, checked as baggage on a plane and treated roughly, the straps washed in harsh cleaners... all things that would be difficult or impossible to see, but could compromise the seat's safety. The Maestro is a great seat, and relatively inexpensive. If money was really tight, you could consider selling it at the end of the summer on Craigslist for $40 or so.
Have a great trip!
- › Fabulous Forty Somethings TTC! 7 seconds ago
- › The Fertility Challenged One Thread 42 seconds ago
- › ~*~ The TTC ONE Thread ~*~ December 2013 1 minute ago
- › December Chat 3 minutes ago
- › Do you do the whole Santa Claus thing? 3 minutes ago
- › Impatiently waiting 5 minutes ago
- › December Pagans - "Yule" love it! 6 minutes ago
- › Weight gain 8 minutes ago
- › Is anyone planning on EC with their newbie? 10 minutes ago
- › Braxton Hicks Contractions already????????? 16 minutes ago
- › The Polar Express by MamaLucera
- › The Return of the Light: Twelve Tales from Around the World for the... by Terry Stafford
- › The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice by Terry Stafford
- › The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative by Fembot
- › The Snow Queen by Astraia
- › The Night Before Christmas by 1love4ever
- › The Snowy Day by janonia
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by Melanie Mayo
- › Christmas in the Big Woods by Melanie Mayo
- › Diva Cup Diva Cup #2 Post Childbirth, Cup by Taqah
- › Can Attachment Parents Put Their Own... by KidsInTheHouse
- › Phases of a Nursling by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Holiday Books Giveaway Rules by Melanie Mayo
- › Developmental Milestones to Marvel At by Monica S
- › 15 Fun and Enchanting Holiday Tales for Children by Melanie Mayo
- › To Santa or Not To Santa by JillVettel
- › Three Low Cost Holiday Gifts to Make with Kids by Monica S
- › Mothering with Mental Illness: The Natural... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › A Difficult Conversation by Melanie Mayo
- › Does Motherhood Matter Anymore? by Melanie Mayo