or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › April 2011 › OB convinced me to schedule a date to break my waters. Yay or Nay?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OB convinced me to schedule a date to break my waters. Yay or Nay? - Page 2

post #21 of 30

Don't do it, wait for your baby to be born on his/her birthday. In the meantime stop allowing pointless vaginal exams and take good care of you. 

post #22 of 30

It sounds as if you'd be a favorable candidate for induction (meaning it has a good chance to be successful), but I would still wait if it were me. Take some time to do things to naturally induce labor, which probably be more effective if you don't have the pressure of that scheduled induction looming in front of you.

 

I've birthed two big babies (9#4 and 9#10) and had no problems. I know many mamas who said their biggest baby was their easiest -- including one mama who is 5'1"ish, 100 lbs and  whose other 2 babies were 6lbs, said her 9lb baby was the easiest.

 

Your first was over 8#, and while that's not huge, it's still on the larger side. How was your labor and birthing with him?

 

As a PP said, many big babies are big because they have more fat, and fat is squishy. And even if a big baby has a correspondingly large head, their skulls are moldable for a reason, to help them fit.

 

Good luck in your decision :)

post #23 of 30

Midwife Ina May Gaskin says that in birth, we open to be bigger than our baby! 

 

In my experience, the positioning of the baby has a lot more to say for how labour progresses than how big the baby is. Because women open to be bigger than our babies! Yes! 

 

The water is there for a reason. If it's broken your OB may be on a relatively short time limit to get the baby out, please check if this is so before you make your decision.

 

Also, remember that even ultrasounds often give false predictions as to how big baby is.

post #24 of 30

I think that the problem is that it can go either way...and putting yourself on a 24 hour timeline is risky.

 

I wouldn't do it until I was 41 weeks at least, but even then I would try other things first.

 

With my first I was completely closed and thick until I went into labor at 41 weeks.  We got to the hospital and they talked about pitocin.  I drank some castor oil and did nipple stimulation to help move things along and delivered her naturally early the next morning, intervention free. She was 7lbs 11oz.

 

With my 2nd I had my membranes stripped at 38 weeks (3cm, 80% effaced), went home, had sex with orgasm (it has to be both), and he was born via waterbirth, naturally and intervention free, that night. He was 8lbs 14oz.

post #25 of 30
Thread Starter 

 Thanks for all the great advice, mamas! I called the nurse at my clinic and expressed my concerns. She did not dismiss them, but did say that my OB isn't one to rush to this decision lightly or for convenience sake. He would only suggest it if he were confident that it will work. (Impossible to know, from the sounds of the feedback I've gotten here.) But having been dilated and effaced to the extent and for as long as I have seems to be an encouraging sign, according to her. I'm going to go to the appointment see how things have progressed since the week prior. And I'll level with him directly: I don't want to end up with a Csection. Keep you posted!

post #26 of 30

Dilation and effacement means little to how a labor and or induction will go.  I was 4 and completely effaced with #2 for 6 weeks.  I went to 42 weeks and still had a 36 hour labor.  With my last (#8) I was 16 days past my edd, was 4 cm and 80% effaced when they induced with Pit.  I still had a 12 hour labor.  Everyone was sure I would go quickly.  I would only do it if medically indicated because the at that point the ends justify the means.  Like for me, being 16 days past my edd with PIH keeping the baby in at that point was more harmful to me and the baby than being induced.

post #27 of 30
Thread Starter 

Just to follow up: My water broke on its own the night before the planned induction. Drizzle, not a gush. OB examined me and said I was already contracting. So he broke the bag fully and within 30 minutes I was in active labor and dilated to 6. My daughter was born less than two hours later. FAST! And she was big: 9lbs. 12 oz. In this case, fate intervened, but my OB's judgement call was a good one, I think. Thanks again to all who expressed their ideas and shared their experiences!

post #28 of 30

i'm glad it worked out that way!  congratulations!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgreenemama View Post

Just to follow up: My water broke on its own the night before the planned induction. Drizzle, not a gush. OB examined me and said I was already contracting. So he broke the bag fully and within 30 minutes I was in active labor and dilated to 6. My daughter was born less than two hours later. FAST! And she was big: 9lbs. 12 oz. In this case, fate intervened, but my OB's judgement call was a good one, I think. Thanks again to all who expressed their ideas and shared their experiences!



 

post #29 of 30

congrats mama! glad it worked out for you :)

post #30 of 30

Congratulations, mama - that's awesome the way it worked out!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: April 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › April 2011 › OB convinced me to schedule a date to break my waters. Yay or Nay?