or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › October 2011 › Nuchal translucency test
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Nuchal translucency test

post #1 of 30
Thread Starter 
Are you doing (or did you do) the nuchal fold scan? How did you decide whether or not to do it?

I definitely know there are great reasons to do it and great reasons not to do it. We haven't decided yet, so I'm curious to hear about how other people made the decision to do it or skip it.

Thanks!
post #2 of 30

I am doing it...this will be my second (had one with dd). It was great for setting my mind at ease. I was just turning 40. I am now 42 and am def doing it again. One thing I like is to have info!! If I can get any heads up that my baby will have special needs then I can be prepared with local resources etc... since we will be moving a month after the baby is born.

 

I am def a person who would be better off not being surprised at the birth... I think I might be overwhelmed...

 

I have been so lucky to have 2 super healthy kiddos....sometimes I feel ....ah what ever

post #3 of 30
I decided not to, because at my age, it seemed the chances were higher that I'd get a false positive than getting an actual positive. I'd rather not be freaked out for no reason.
post #4 of 30

I did not/will not have it done. My risks aren't very high and the results wouldn't change the course of the pregnancy. If there is anything that needs special attention at/after birth, we will likely discover it at the 20 week ultrasound.

post #5 of 30

I had the scan.  I didn't really care about the test, but my husband is one of those "wants all information" people, and I did appreciate getting a glimpse of my babe.  

post #6 of 30

I'm doing it next week. It would like to know so that I can have a plan in place if needed and so I can feel a bit less stressed about it.  I don't want to be that overwhelmed at birth. 

post #7 of 30

I'm getting it on Thursday.  I'm 35.  During my last pregnancy I had a bad triple screen result which led to an extra ultrasound, so I'd rather get it done now when the screen is more definitive.  Also, I watched a family member go through having a daughter born with Trisomy 13 who passed shortly after birth.

 

If I get a bad result, I'm not sure what I'll do (get a CVS, amnio, etc) but hopefully things will come out ok and I can not worry about it.

 

 

 

post #8 of 30

I like more information, so we did the integrated screen.


  We had the ultrasound about two weeks ago.  I've still got another blood draw in three weeks before I get final results, but the ultrasound was fine. 

post #9 of 30

I am doing the integrated screen. I wasn't going to, but DH wanted to, and he rarely asks for much, so I did it. Also, I'm 35 and have other risk factors. I already had the u/s and first blood draw; second blood draw is in a couple of weeks.

post #10 of 30

I am getting it done but could care less about the results.  I'm getting it done because its the path of least resistance to getting an u/s where I live at 12 weeks.  Because of history I *could* push for one, but I'm non-confrontational and I have a new really blah dr who didn't ask any history (praying for a midwife to open up SO much!) so I just went with it.  I am not having the blood work done.

post #11 of 30

We didn't do it w/ DS, but we're doing it this time.

 

Our rational w/ pg #1 was that we were not prepared to do an amnio (the chance of miscarrying a perfectly healthy baby is higher than the NT scan being "right" that there is a problem).

This time, it's just different for us.  We're prepared to go all the way with testing for various reasons.

post #12 of 30

We're doing it. I had the first blood draw today and will have the ultrasound in a couple weeks. Back when I had DS (4 years ago) they only did the blood test. We got a false positive for Down's Syndrome, got super freaked out about it (we never considered terminating, nor would we for any of the things it screens for) and we went ahead and got the amnio for peace of mind. DS was fine.

 

It's tempting to skip it this time, but I'd rather have the peace of mind (and I won't be freaked out if there's a false positive this time). If I didn't get it, I know I would spend the whole pregnancy worrying about the tiny chance of something being wrong that I could have planned ahead and been prepared for! But that's just my over-active worry gene :)

post #13 of 30
We did a first tri screen (NT and 2 blood tests), because I'll be 35 in a few days and I was hoping the results would put my mind at ease. Our NT came out fine, but the blood tests showed slightly elevated risk, so now we'll be going for amnio. I had very little hesitancy with testing. I tried to go the less invasive route first, but both DH and I are of the definitely want to know camp.
post #14 of 30
Many people decide to have the test if the results would lead them to make a choice about possibly terminating their pregnancy. Or so they can better prepare for a baby that may potentially have special needs closely following their birth. Personally, I came to the decision during my first pregnancy when I ended up having very poor blood test results and then an amnio, I decided I would have terminated. Fortunately, I had a healthy boy and subsequently a healthy baby girl as well.

My feelings are the same for this pregnancy - if not stronger. I have two lo's to take care of and I would not be able to handle the added emotional and financial stress of a special needs baby. Maybe this is too much personal info to share but realistically,for me, I would choose to terminate if my baby was not healthy. This is why I have the test done - I had my us yesterday and am waiting for the results of the blood work to decide if I'll have an amnio. I think deciding wether or not to have the test is very much based on your personal feelings of what you would do with the results.
post #15 of 30


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

I did not/will not have it done. My risks aren't very high and the results wouldn't change the course of the pregnancy. If there is anything that needs special attention at/after birth, we will likely discover it at the 20 week ultrasound.


This exactly for me! If the 20 week  anatomic scan raises question, I would further investigate from there.

 

post #16 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephandOwen View Post

I did not/will not have it done. My risks aren't very high and the results wouldn't change the course of the pregnancy. If there is anything that needs special attention at/after birth, we will likely discover it at the 20 week ultrasound.


 

yeahthat.gif

 

Plus I am unwilling to undergo a CVS or amnio based on this test.

post #17 of 30


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SustainablParentng View Post

I think deciding wether or not to have the test is very much based on your personal feelings of what you would do with the results.



I think this is spot-on right.

 

There are some who would terminate based on the information they receive. Then there are others who would never terminate no matter what. If you are in the second camp (such as me) there isn't really any reason to get the testing done (IMO- not saying others can't think differently!). I wouldn't get an amnio based on a "bad" result to the NT/triple screen either, so to me the test would cause more stress than it would be worth. If, at the 20 week ultrasound, something abnormal shows up then we can deal with it then (likely I still wouldn't get an amnio) but rather I would get a detailed ultrasound with specialists.

 

But I can understand why some parents do opt to get this testing done. Honestly, I was almost tempted to get it done just to get another peek at the little one lol.gif Fortunately my will was strong so I didn't cave and by my next appointment it will be too late winky.gif

post #18 of 30

I haven't asked and it hasn't been offered to me. At this time I am undecided but do not plan on asking if it's not offered. I did not have it done with our youngest.

post #19 of 30

I'm not doing it.  I didn't do it last time.  My risk factors are low and I am in the "never terminate no matter what" camp.

post #20 of 30

We didn't with ds & we won't again this time. As a screening it gives waaaaaay more false positives which would then recommend us to an amnio or cvs. Absolutely no way I will take any risk of creating a miscarriage on a healthy baby for this. If the screening test were any more accurate, maybe (big maybe). I have a hard time believing I would terminate for any reason but I know dh feels differently about this.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: October 2011
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › October 2011 › Nuchal translucency test