or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Waldorf › What to get
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What to get

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

My daughter turns 2 in July and I'm in the midst of working on the budget so I'm trying to figure out what to get her as a present.  Any suggestions for a 2 year old?

 

post #2 of 13

There are at least 2 other posts in this forum that were on 2 year old gifts if you want to take a look for them.  My son just turned 2 almost 2 weeks ago.  We gave him the Spring board book, which he truly seems to enjoy and a paint brush.  We already had some Stockmar paints for our older child, but not a second large paint brush.  And I had picked up a second painting board somewhere along the way.  I contemplated getting him his own set of Stockmar crayons, but we have way.too.many.crayons of the crayola variety and a set of Stockmar block/stick crayons and the kids don't fight over them.  And I do recall at his 1 year check up the dr. asking if he was scribbling . . . and I don't think I'd even encouraged him to hold a crayon at that point!  Of course, he's taken to the walls since then.  I'd also suggest a mama made doll.

post #3 of 13

little animals of some type

play kitchen and goodies

housekeeping/roll playing elements

water and sand play

wood blocks, plain and fancy

duplo blocks (if you are comfortable with plastic, much better than megablocks)

balls

natural elements that you can collect

art and crafting supplies (good crayons, finger paints, play dough, markers, pencils, stickers)

books

puzzles

simple train set

nesting cups, stacking tower, pounding balls, shape sorter, lacing toy, movement toy like ball track or walking elephant

finger puppets

ride on or push toy

baby play

 

Two is an amazing age. These are all pretty standard gifts and some kids will really latch on to some aspects of play now or later.

post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 

I'm sorry I did a curousy look and didn't see any.  She has a Mamamor Doll and she just tucks her into the little bed we've got in there for DD when she wants.  I definitely want to get her a toy carrier and would love to get her playstands but I just can't afford them.  :(  I saw this on Magic Cabin and the price is right.  What do you mamas think?  I know most Waldorf kitchens are plain wood but I this seems like a really nice kitchen.


 

post #5 of 13

I think the kitchen is cute and that is the least expensive price I think I've ever seen on a wooden kitchen. I'd be concerned about who well it wear. It is also quite small. But if you want a full scale kitchen and you need to buy it, that might be the best option.

 

Some other wooden options within your price range: https://jilliansdrawers.com/products/forbaby/toysforpreschoolers/kitchenandstore/habaplaycooker (could easily resell) http://www.etsy.com/listing/62303738/the-little-kitchen we have this and it is beautiful, (mdc mama)

 

Are you crafty? : you can make a play mat pretty easily http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/how-to/how-to-make-a-rollup-kitchen-playmat-070750 or alter or construct your own: http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/tag/play+kitchen lots of homemade examples

 

If you have an Ikea near you they have inexpensive metal pots and pans if you prefer to avoid plastic. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00130167  Felt food can be made with your imagination or through etsy patterns.

 

Finally, some kids understand and love play kitchens at 2 and some are only interested a litte latter. You might want to start with some small like pots and pans and cutting food (wood with velcro) and see how interested she is before you commit to a larger piece. 

post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlingMama View Post

I'm sorry I did a curousy look and didn't see any.  She has a Mamamor Doll and she just tucks her into the little bed we've got in there for DD when she wants.  I definitely want to get her a toy carrier and would love to get her playstands but I just can't afford them.  :(  I saw this on Magic Cabin and the price is right.  What do you mamas think?  I know most Waldorf kitchens are plain wood but I this seems like a really nice kitchen.


 


I have a kitchen very similar to this for my kid (he got it for his first birthday) and he uses it every day. Still. It does get dirty easily because the wood is not varnished or anything, but to be honest that doesn't bother me in the least. I think 50 bucks for that kitchen is a really great price.

This is the one I have and it looks like its made by the same company as the one you linked (based on colors and construction, not based on the fact that they have them both at Magic Cabin). So I would imagine it would wear similarly.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

 

Two is an amazing age. These are all pretty standard gifts and some kids will really latch on to some aspects of play now or later.



I just want to echo this thought. I was so excited for the wooden play kitchen we bought dd for her 2nd birthday.  It got so little love for the first 6 mos.  DS, on the other hand, has been playing with it since he was 1.  He took to serving tea, and playing with the food items much earlier than dd did.  And I don't know if it is because of personality or seeing her play with it.  I involve both of them in real food preparation from an early age (old enough to keep oneself steady on a chair!), so, I don't see that as a major differentiator. 

 

 

 

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 

Grandma and I are both fairly crafty.  That's awesome!  Thanks!


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiAU View Post

I think the kitchen is cute and that is the least expensive price I think I've ever seen on a wooden kitchen. I'd be concerned about who well it wear. It is also quite small. But if you want a full scale kitchen and you need to buy it, that might be the best option.

 

Some other wooden options within your price range: https://jilliansdrawers.com/products/forbaby/toysforpreschoolers/kitchenandstore/habaplaycooker (could easily resell) http://www.etsy.com/listing/62303738/the-little-kitchen we have this and it is beautiful, (mdc mama)

 

Are you crafty? : you can make a play mat pretty easily http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/how-to/how-to-make-a-rollup-kitchen-playmat-070750 or alter or construct your own: http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/tag/play+kitchen lots of homemade examples

 

If you have an Ikea near you they have inexpensive metal pots and pans if you prefer to avoid plastic. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00130167  Felt food can be made with your imagination or through etsy patterns.

 

Finally, some kids understand and love play kitchens at 2 and some are only interested a litte latter. You might want to start with some small like pots and pans and cutting food (wood with velcro) and see how interested she is before you commit to a larger piece. 



 

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 


I was looking at that one too.  Thanks for the input!  I really think she would enjoy a play kitchen now so by two I think it'll be even better!

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamomile Girl View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlingMama View Post

I'm sorry I did a curousy look and didn't see any.  She has a Mamamor Doll and she just tucks her into the little bed we've got in there for DD when she wants.  I definitely want to get her a toy carrier and would love to get her playstands but I just can't afford them.  :(  I saw this on Magic Cabin and the price is right.  What do you mamas think?  I know most Waldorf kitchens are plain wood but I this seems like a really nice kitchen.


 




I have a kitchen very similar to this for my kid (he got it for his first birthday) and he uses it every day. Still. It does get dirty easily because the wood is not varnished or anything, but to be honest that doesn't bother me in the least. I think 50 bucks for that kitchen is a really great price.

This is the one I have and it looks like its made by the same company as the one you linked (based on colors and construction, not based on the fact that they have them both at Magic Cabin). So I would imagine it would wear similarly.


 

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 

That's been our biggest issue - most of the traditional toys for her age our DD has no interest in.  I think she'd really like a play kitchen but for our little apartment I'm REALLY liking the play mat or the little tabletop stove.  She's really taking to "swiffering" the floor so that's another option for us - a little child broom!  Thank you mamas for all your help!
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybunmom View Post





I just want to echo this thought. I was so excited for the wooden play kitchen we bought dd for her 2nd birthday.  It got so little love for the first 6 mos.  DS, on the other hand, has been playing with it since he was 1.  He took to serving tea, and playing with the food items much earlier than dd did.  And I don't know if it is because of personality or seeing her play with it.  I involve both of them in real food preparation from an early age (old enough to keep oneself steady on a chair!), so, I don't see that as a major differentiator. 

 

 

 



 

post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlingMama View Post

That's been our biggest issue - most of the traditional toys for her age our DD has no interest in.  I think she'd really like a play kitchen but for our little apartment I'm REALLY liking the play mat or the little tabletop stove.  She's really taking to "swiffering" the floor so that's another option for us - a little child broom!  Thank you mamas for all your help!
 



 



That reminds me . . . we did have this one for her first and it did get a fair amount of play.  It has burners, knobs to turn, a space to hold the cookware and folds up for convenient storage!

 

post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlingMama View Post

That's been our biggest issue - most of the traditional toys for her age our DD has no interest in.  I think she'd really like a play kitchen but for our little apartment I'm REALLY liking the play mat or the little tabletop stove.  She's really taking to "swiffering" the floor so that's another option for us - a little child broom!  Thank you mamas for all your help!
 


You might also want to take a look at http://www.forsmallhands.com/store/  which is for montessori schools and families. Everything they sell is functional, works well, and is durable. Many inexpensive options and much better than "toy" quality.


 

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 

Wow some of those Montessori toys look awesome!  My Dad is a wood craftsman and he's going to build her a kitchen similar to this so it'll be even more special because Grandpa made it, kwim?  Grandma is a painter so she'll probably make it more realistice by adding the appropriate things on the dials.  I'm so excited for that!  I still don't know what else we'll get her.  I've seen a lot of things we like but nothing that screams my DD. We'll keep looking and I'm sure we'll find something.  Thanks for all the help mamas!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Waldorf
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Waldorf › What to get