or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › Spring low income support thread (April/May)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Spring low income support thread (April/May) - Page 2

post #21 of 95
Thread Starter 

Freaking awesome!! gloomy.gif Rent is going up $65 in June and pretty much guanteed to go up atleast another $65 next year. So much for the little bit I was getting for cleaning at my mom's. Now it is all going to rent increase. Can I just cry now?

post #22 of 95

I think the x-country move is off.  Long story but after much soul searching I can NOT live near my mother.  I already am dealing with ulcers, GI issues and mental health issues.  IDK why I find it so difficult to make a decision but for the time being I can't move there.  That leaves us stuck in the desert with no active homeschool groups, no science clubs at DS level, and the wonderful 'dry heat'.

 

I am currently looking for an Apt here and still looking for a job here..  I havent broken the news to mother yet but she will figure it out soon enough.  She was negative from the beginning so she can just deal with it.

 

I hope I find a job soon...

post #23 of 95
So sorry Zebra and Cheryl greensad.gif
post #24 of 95

Wow, a place I feel I can fit in. I'm Sarah Lynne, wife to Michael and mommy to my 3 (soon to be 4!) kiddos. We've been living on my income for almost 2 years now. It was going ok until this last 2 months. I got forced onto maternity leave early because they couldn't accommodate my "light duty" order from my midwife (I'm a correctional officer and there are PLENTY of jobs I could have been doing that would have qualified as "light duty." but that's another hill of beans.) I only had 2 weeks of a vacation time and just 2 weeks prior to that the state took away the ability of my fellow officers to donate leave to me. Thankfully I've spent the last 2 years paying for disability insurance for just such an occasion. However, the wait has us totally strapped for cash and the other 3 adults in the house have been job hunting fiends, with no job prospects seeming to pan out. We've pawned what we can for the moment (in fact DH is out pawning the last of it) and hopefully can stay afloat until the disability check gets here. WIC and Food Stamps are basically our entire months worth of groceries. I do the best I can to feed us all, but we end up eating a lot of pasta. Thankfully the kids are young enough, that they aren't really effected by the lack of $$.

 

I am thankful though. We moved a month ago to a smaller, but MUCH nicer house. We were living in an 1800 square foot double wide in the middle of an open acre (I live in FL.) Our electric bill WITH budget billing was $350 on a good month (January's actual bill was $580.) It was poorly insulated and the landlord hemhawed too long about taking care of the mice infestation that he was forced (thank God!) to release us from our lease early. The worst part was he lived right next door and was always in our business. Our current landlords live in Rhode Island and are sweet as pie. Our rent is still the same ($800/mth) but they are letting us pay our deposit $50 monthly instead of having had to have our deposit up front (so rent will go DOWN next year to $750 :) ) Our electric bill this month was only $250 without budget billing (different company!) Still higher than I like, but much better than it's ever been! I'm working on making some things to sell for extra $$. I know this won't last forever so i try to keep my head as high as I can.

post #25 of 95

Well, I went apt hunting today and found something suitable. lets just hope the leasing office overlooks my income issues.

My roommate dog went psycho last night and had to go to the doggie urgent care - think vicious dog. The dog is a bernese mountain dog and has behavior problems from the start (18 mos old now).  Im at the end of my rope and just need to get myself and ds out of here.  I saw anger in that dogs eyes last night.  the dog is back now and calm but who knows what will set it off again.

So hopefully the apt will be approved soon and ds and i can move on.

 

did you ever notice when seperating from a roommate it feels like a divorce? awkward, and just wrong?  everything is co-mingled, i really dont want much of it back.... but still, it feel wrong on some level.  ugh

post #26 of 95
Wow Zebra that is not good! Those dogs are HUGE, too! My SIL has a Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and it weighs more than me! I hope the new apt works out for you.

Welcome Sarah Lynne, glad things are on an upswing for you- hope it stays that way!


Yesterday our fridge/freezer died so we had to get a new one greensad.gif DH drove an hour upstate last night to get a used one off Craigslist that was $400 and he didn't get home until 10:45 because it took so long to load and then he drove slowly. Then there was a whole ordeal getting off the truck and in the house because he had to do it all by himself. It wouldn't fit in the house so he had to take the front door off and take the doors off the fridge, too. Then put everything back together and by the time it was cleaned and plugged in and in it's new home, it was 1am! The old fridge is still in the kitchen, too, because it was too late to bother with it. Lets just hope it works for a very long time! Now this morning I am going to replace the groceries greensad.gif Some are saved in a cooler so thats good.

Also, I haven't been around much because at the end of Jan I got an awesome part-time job working 3:45-7 (DH gets off at 3) but they lost a huge client so my hours are being cut. But I talked them into letting me stay on as a substitute/coverage person. The office is so small that when someone is sick or on vacation, it hurts the few people who are left so now they can call me if they need help! I am really happy about that!
post #27 of 95

The apartment lease is turned in.  Whatever happens, happens however I'm hoping for the best.  The leasing agent said it all 'looked good' and they should know by Friday.  Really the only thing that would cause and issue would be a felony(i dont have one of those) or an eviction in the past 12 months (mine is 3 years).  So hopefully I get the place.  If I do, the apt should be ready on 5/6/11.

Nope, zebra does not have a felony... bummer   LOL

post #28 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra15 View Post

The apartment lease is turned in.  Whatever happens, happens however I'm hoping for the best.  The leasing agent said it all 'looked good' and they should know by Friday.  Really the only thing that would cause and issue would be a felony(i dont have one of those) or an eviction in the past 12 months (mine is 3 years).  So hopefully I get the place.  If I do, the apt should be ready on 5/6/11.

Nope, zebra does not have a felony... bummer   LOL



 

Haha but a felony would make you soooo much cooler right? :P

 

I hope the lease goes through quickly and you can get in :) I can't imagine dealing with the dog/roommate issues, especially with my kids!

 

I've had a rough day today. DH now has 2 part time jobs (Yay!) The issue is we still don't have any money until one of us gets paid (sometime next week.) Food stamps don't come in until the 4th so I'm trying to make meals off of what we have and the few things we were able to buy tonight. Dinner isn't a problem. Lunch has been my biggest issue. We usually only have enough dinner to cover feeding everyone for dinner, so leftovers aren't really there. I just have to stick it out until wednesday. I can deal with bill payments being a little ahead/behind. I can't deal with not feeding my family.

post #29 of 95

Mommy2Austin, have you thought about visiting a food bank or church pantry? This is the kind of situation they're there for. Or do you qualify for WIC? I think some offices can get you an emergency intake if you're in dire straits.

 

We're doing ok. DH has been having some medical problems and that's costing $$$, but so far he's gotten some overtime and I've got two shifts scheduled next month at the school I used to work for, so I think we can cover it. I really don't want to dig into our savings this early in the year. DH's problem isn't life threatening but it is really compromising his quality of life. I don't want to go into details because it is personal but man, it's hard.

 

Zebra, I really hope you get the apartment!

post #30 of 95


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post

Mommy2Austin, have you thought about visiting a food bank or church pantry? This is the kind of situation they're there for. Or do you qualify for WIC? I think some offices can get you an emergency intake if you're in dire straits.

 

We're doing ok. DH has been having some medical problems and that's costing $$$, but so far he's gotten some overtime and I've got two shifts scheduled next month at the school I used to work for, so I think we can cover it. I really don't want to dig into our savings this early in the year. DH's problem isn't life threatening but it is really compromising his quality of life. I don't want to go into details because it is personal but man, it's hard.

 

Zebra, I really hope you get the apartment!



 

I've tried looking locally, but haven't been able to locate any pantries/food banks. We do have WIC and were able to get some of the checks tonight. It's the gas for the car that's the hard part. The store isn't close enough the walking to and from is feasible especially with perishable food :/

post #31 of 95

  Hey everyone, first time posting here. 

In the past 2 months we have gone from a 2 income family to a 1 income family (mother moved and was no longer able to watch DS), to a NO income family (DHs employer downsized).  EEEP!

   We are getting $300 a month in foodstamps, but have no income at all. DH has filed for unemployment and we are waiting to see if that gets approved. I have an immune system condition that requires frequent trips to the DR and costly medications, so we have nothing saved or set aside.  

 DH is pounding the pavement searching for a new job, I'm trying to sell some things on ebay and craigslist just so we have a bit of $ for diapers and little things like that.

   Hope this coming month brings better times for everyone! 


Edited by foxsmama - 4/29/11 at 5:55pm
post #32 of 95
So sorry Foxsmama greensad.gif
post #33 of 95

Foxmama- So sorry to hear about the untimely unemployment! Hope DH can find something soon or at least get approved for unemployment!

 

I had a pretty good day. DH started his first job today. He's bouncing at a night club and they have a big concert tonight and needed people to unload the equipment for the band. He got paid $50 cash for it :) The club owners saw how good of a job he did and asked him to come back at 6pm to do secuirty (originally they didn't want him to come until 11pm.) He's not expected to get out until 4 am, but it will make for a nice little check next week. Monday he starts his other job at the pizza place. I've missed him a bunch after getting so used to seeing him all day/everyday, but I know this is what we need :) 

post #34 of 95

Hello all,

 

I was on here maybe a year ago, and just never kept up..but I'm back again!  I'm a full time nursing student and DH is also a full time student.  We are living off of mostly state benefits and loan reimbursement money for the time being.  I work part time, but DH does not right now.  We have tried having him work full time and school full time and it pretty much almost ended our marriage because of the strain, so we have decided it's more important to have time together than make money until we get through school.  Usually we do pretty well in our situation, but right now I'm transitioning to summer income,which basically means loan money is gone and I need to get some hours at work to cover our expenses of gas and what FS doesn't cover.  We are in that weird boat of being students, where they disqualify you from the full FS allowance because of being students but one of gets requalified because of Ds.  So that means we get FS for two people in our family instead of 3.  I do home health which is totally variable and makes it really frustrating for our benefits.  I end up in these situations where I work a lot of hours for a month, my benefits get cut and then right after that, I lose a bunch of hours.  Anyway, I'm taking my LPN test this summer, so hoping that will make me both get more work hours and also make those hours count more, but this period of living off of nothing while I work all the time, and guzzle through gas but haven't been paid yet, is stress causing!

 

So is it terrible that we are planning to TTC this next Fall?  I will be graduating next May and hopefully will get work fairly soon after that.  But Ds is 4 already and we really wanted to have another one without our kids being so far apart that they have absolutely nothing in common.  If we were to wait until we were 'financially stable' it could really be a couple of years from now.  And sadly, but true, we would qualify for more help if I were pregnant.

 

Anyway, sorry if that was confusing.  I feel like I just spewed out all of the concerns that have been on my mind the past few weeks...

 

Glad to have some other mama's out there who are going through some of the same things we are!

post #35 of 95

still waiting to hear on the apartment, thinking I will go check with the leasing office in the morning.    this roommate situation is really getting out of hand and DS is suffering.

post #36 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator-mom View Post

Hello all,

 

I was on here maybe a year ago, and just never kept up..but I'm back again!  I'm a full time nursing student and DH is also a full time student.  We are living off of mostly state benefits and loan reimbursement money for the time being.  I work part time, but DH does not right now.  We have tried having him work full time and school full time and it pretty much almost ended our marriage because of the strain, so we have decided it's more important to have time together than make money until we get through school.  Usually we do pretty well in our situation, but right now I'm transitioning to summer income,which basically means loan money is gone and I need to get some hours at work to cover our expenses of gas and what FS doesn't cover.  We are in that weird boat of being students, where they disqualify you from the full FS allowance because of being students but one of gets requalified because of Ds.  So that means we get FS for two people in our family instead of 3.  I do home health which is totally variable and makes it really frustrating for our benefits.  I end up in these situations where I work a lot of hours for a month, my benefits get cut and then right after that, I lose a bunch of hours.  Anyway, I'm taking my LPN test this summer, so hoping that will make me both get more work hours and also make those hours count more, but this period of living off of nothing while I work all the time, and guzzle through gas but haven't been paid yet, is stress causing!

 

So is it terrible that we are planning to TTC this next Fall?  I will be graduating next May and hopefully will get work fairly soon after that.  But Ds is 4 already and we really wanted to have another one without our kids being so far apart that they have absolutely nothing in common.  If we were to wait until we were 'financially stable' it could really be a couple of years from now.  And sadly, but true, we would qualify for more help if I were pregnant.

 

Anyway, sorry if that was confusing.  I feel like I just spewed out all of the concerns that have been on my mind the past few weeks...

 

Glad to have some other mama's out there who are going through some of the same things we are!


Do you want honest opinions? redface.gif Well then, yes I do think it is a tiny bit terrible... Not terrible but definitely not a good idea... I don't quite understand why DH couldn't work FT. I mean, yes it sucks when you can't see your spouse very often but you do what you gotta do when you have kids... There have been times when DH and I barely saw eachother (and I know there are plenty of other people in that situation on this board) but we needed money and we had kids so that is what you do.... And to plan another baby when neither of you have a job yet, and to just hope for more assistance, is kind of irresponsible. You don't *know* that you will get a job- many, many hospitals have hiring freezes right now. Anyway, I am not saying wait until you are 100% financially secure, but maybe at least until one of you has a permanent full time job.
post #37 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlBoyGirl View Post



Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator-mom View Post

Hello all,

 

I was on here maybe a year ago, and just never kept up..but I'm back again!  I'm a full time nursing student and DH is also a full time student.  We are living off of mostly state benefits and loan reimbursement money for the time being.  I work part time, but DH does not right now.  We have tried having him work full time and school full time and it pretty much almost ended our marriage because of the strain, so we have decided it's more important to have time together than make money until we get through school.  Usually we do pretty well in our situation, but right now I'm transitioning to summer income,which basically means loan money is gone and I need to get some hours at work to cover our expenses of gas and what FS doesn't cover.  We are in that weird boat of being students, where they disqualify you from the full FS allowance because of being students but one of gets requalified because of Ds.  So that means we get FS for two people in our family instead of 3.  I do home health which is totally variable and makes it really frustrating for our benefits.  I end up in these situations where I work a lot of hours for a month, my benefits get cut and then right after that, I lose a bunch of hours.  Anyway, I'm taking my LPN test this summer, so hoping that will make me both get more work hours and also make those hours count more, but this period of living off of nothing while I work all the time, and guzzle through gas but haven't been paid yet, is stress causing!

 

So is it terrible that we are planning to TTC this next Fall?  I will be graduating next May and hopefully will get work fairly soon after that.  But Ds is 4 already and we really wanted to have another one without our kids being so far apart that they have absolutely nothing in common.  If we were to wait until we were 'financially stable' it could really be a couple of years from now.  And sadly, but true, we would qualify for more help if I were pregnant.

 

Anyway, sorry if that was confusing.  I feel like I just spewed out all of the concerns that have been on my mind the past few weeks...

 

Glad to have some other mama's out there who are going through some of the same things we are!




Do you want honest opinions? redface.gif Well then, yes I do think it is a tiny bit terrible... Not terrible but definitely not a good idea... I don't quite understand why DH couldn't work FT. I mean, yes it sucks when you can't see your spouse very often but you do what you gotta do when you have kids... There have been times when DH and I barely saw eachother (and I know there are plenty of other people in that situation on this board) but we needed money and we had kids so that is what you do.... And to plan another baby when neither of you have a job yet, and to just hope for more assistance, is kind of irresponsible. You don't *know* that you will get a job- many, many hospitals have hiring freezes right now. Anyway, I am not saying wait until you are 100% financially secure, but maybe at least until one of you has a permanent full time job.


Thanks for your honesty.  I see what you're saying about DH working, but when he was working full time, it was more that our relationship consisted of us talking on-line and it just seemed to serve for a ton of miscommunication.  Thus we fought all the time and we really did almost separate.  Once he was home more, all of that tension went away.  Right now, he is working on getting his portfolio online so there is hope that he will then be able to do some contract work at least, which wouldn't involve him having to work full time..and he could do it from home. He is a web designer/ graphic artist..so even working a few small jobs pays a big paycheck.   As for me getting a job, I know that I can stay where I am now, in home health.  I am a CNA with them now, and they have already told me that once I get I get my LPN next month, that I will be able to get some hours with them with that license as well.  So once I get my RN, I can use that there as well.  I just don't know if I will get to were I WANT to go right away, which is women's health.  Anyway, I guess we will see where we are in a few months before deciding for sure.

post #38 of 95
Oooh okay well if you already have a job lined up then by all means, happy TTCing! wink1.gif
post #39 of 95

Things are looking somewhat up...

 

I'm ending the month better than I started, and amen for that.  I got my support payment from xh on Wednesday, and he gave me a bit extra to cover the fact that my child tax benefit was cut off in March (long story on that, it was basically a screw up on my part, and it will get reinstated eventually, once my file works its way through the bureaucracy).  I was able to pay all my bills that were past due, with the exception of my property taxes which I will still have to pay bit by bit with every support payment. 

 

I've also been more motivated to ramp up my selling/reselling on ebay, craigslist, etc.  It's not just the money, but I've been thinking about minimalism in general and how owning fewer things might actually be freeing...both time-wise and financially.  And the clutter, of course. 

 

We're also having a gorgeous weekend weather-wise, so I've been puttering about in my garden, and thinking about what veggies I will plant in a couple of weeks.   I'm lucky to have a big yard with a sunny spot, so between that and the CSA share I'm splitting with another single mum friend, I should be pretty covered for the the summer veggie-wise.

 

I really hope May looks up for all of us!

 

 

post #40 of 95

The apartment was approved joy.gif

apparently I have good credit and no deposits are required thumbsup.gif

I get the keys on Friday 5/6

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Frugality & Finances
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › Frugality & Finances › Spring low income support thread (April/May)