If you dont want to call the cops, Im sure there are about 50 of us here that would do it for you. The only information the cops need is his name, his new address, and that he is a convicted sex offender living with children.
Parenting supplies mentioned in this thread:
- topicFamily Issuestagged by System, 5/8/11
- productMaking Healthy Families: A Guide for Spouses, Parents and Stepparents (making healthy families series)tagged by System, 5/8/11
- productTherapists, Lawyers and Divorcing Spouses (Journal of Divorce)tagged by System, 5/8/11
Related Forum Threads
- No Contact with Inlaws anymore - how to explain to kids? Last post on 9/24/13 at 12:25pm in Parenting
- What is the division of chores at your house? Last post on 7/2/13 at 2:41pm in Talk Amongst Ourselves
- Do things have to be even between siblings? Last post on 6/12/13 at 4:46pm in Parenting
- Accepting H's toddler daughter from an affair Last post on 2/23/13 at 1:37pm in Blended and Step Family Parenting
- What would you do if you were being hunted... Last post on 8/26/12 at 7:03pm in Parenting
One Mistake Even Holistic Parents Make
Last edited: 1/20/14
- Will YOU Like Your Adult Child?Last edited: 1/15/14
- Fathering in AmericaLast edited: 1/7/14
- Mothering Beyond Baby-wearing (and Cloth Diapers and Breastfeeding...Last edited: 1/6/14
- Mothering is Hard WorkLast edited: 10/21/13
SIL marrying a pedophile RESOLUTION Post 209 - Page 11post #202 of 2135/17/11 at 2:39pmQuote:
Yep, many of us would.
Good luck and do the right thing! Protect those kids.post #203 of 2135/24/11 at 3:48pmpost #204 of 2135/26/11 at 5:08pmpost #205 of 2135/26/11 at 9:53pm
OP, I'm not trying to be awful, but imagine how you would feel is said sex offender molested or otherwise sexually assaulted your SIL's kids? I get that with family, it can be dicey, but is that something you really want to risk? Please, take time to really think on this. Who matters most here? Your SIL's feelings, or these innocent children who may be at risk? Could you really live with that fact that maybe, just maybe a call to the cops could have prevented a child from being abused? I'm not trying to place it all on your shoulders, but realistically speaking, you may be the only one to stand up for these kids. Please, please re-think your position.post #206 of 2136/1/11 at 1:20pm
OP I'm glad you found my post helpful. And I'd just like to add something to all the pleas above to go ahead and call the police.
At this stage, knowing he's convicted and served 5 yrs, it is pretty much a one in a million chance that he didn't do what he was convicted of. Please do NOT focus on the fact that your SIL wants to believe it was all lies and he didn't do anything - again, it's almost unheard of to actually be convicted and for there to not have been a ton of evidence against the defendent. It's almost always the horrific opposite: lots of evidence but still the person walks free.
Assume this guy did what he was convicted of and start there. An entire court system and trial found him guilty - why would you (or anyone else here) second guess that SO STRONGLY That you would not call the police and let them know where he is and about the situation?
And don't assume for a second that just because the kids in the home are older that they are safe. Never underestimate the power of "grooming" - developing a relationship and charming kids into trusting the abuser so that they doubt their own instincts when things get ugly. Also, pedophiles usually tell their victims that bad things will happen if they tell anyone, and older kids can be influenced by that as well.
OP you are right to tell people you know that know your SIL and have contact with her. Please go that step further and contact probation or the registry of sex offenders with your concerns and info. You may be helping numerous kids to be safer by reporting him.post #207 of 2136/23/11 at 3:22pmpost #208 of 2136/23/11 at 3:51pmpost #209 of 2131/12/13 at 10:21pmThread Starter
I know it's been over a year since this was posted, but thought people still might like to know what happened. The police were called, the guy's probation was revoked and he is now serving the original sentence. This happened back not long after this was posted. I just got really busy and wasn't online much for the last year and a half. Wish I would have updated much sooner. Sorry.post #210 of 2131/13/13 at 5:52ampost #211 of 2131/13/13 at 12:41pmpost #212 of 2131/14/13 at 6:32ampost #213 of 2131/22/13 at 6:59pmSooo impressed that this got resolved! No one knows (thank heavens!) how many kids and their parents may ave been spared trauma because he's locked up again. How are your nephews doing? Did your sister blame her kids or anyone else (other than her husband) or him going to jail again? I hope she's ok and also hope she learns to see things for what they really are.
- Will YOU Like Your Adult Child?
- › The Saner TTC and Graduates -- Wolf Moon 55 seconds ago
- › 4mo Old Doesn't Love Carrier 10 minutes ago
- › ~* November 2014 Roll Call *~ 12 minutes ago
- › MARCH CHALLENGE!!!! 1000 Minutes of exercise... 16 minutes ago
- › Copper IUD and Side effects 24 minutes ago
- › feeling baby move 24 minutes ago
- › March Chat/Vent 27 minutes ago
- › Healthy Skin benefits of Juice Plus+ for healthy skin 28 minutes ago
- › Need some ideas to celebrate baby 29 minutes ago
- › Queer Conceptions March 29 minutes ago
- › Vaccine: The Controversial Story of Medicine's Greatest Lifesaver by ss834
- › Pyur Diaper Balm by MimiPilla
- › Burt's Bees Mama Bee Belly Balm, Fragrance Free, by KatelynRose
- › Summer Infant Best View Handheld Color Video Monitor with 2.5"... by thebessmartinfo
- › Happy Heiny's One Size Cloth Diapers by SquirmyWorm
- › Homesteader's Kitchen, The: Recipes from Farm to Table by Monica S
- › Rainbow Light Just Once Prenatal One Multivitamin, 90 Tablets by glwilson22
- › Bear Stays Up for Christmas by rosemarievpaulson
- › The Night Before Christmas by rjdoghouse
- › The Polar Express by sassyfirechick
- › Probiotics and Your Little Ones by JenniO11
- › The Debate Over Handheld Devices for Babies... by Marcy Axness
- › Preparing your Child to Attend a... by OliviaHinebaugh
- › Am I A Bad Mother or Has Africa Run Out of... by BrainChild
- › Your Two-Year-Old Knows Squatting is Better by Melanie Mayo
- › Okay to Leave Kids in the Car While Popping... by Melanie Mayo
- › Laundry Zen by Laura Grace Weldon
- › High Needs Mother by BrainChild
- › Homebirth Forum Guidelines by Cynthia Mosher
- › Disclaimer by Cynthia Mosher