I have 2 choices for my son for next year (he turns 4 this summer)
1. Homeschool him - join the local homeschool group which is great, but it would be unreliable as far as giving ds regular interaction with other kids, something I feel he needs (he is around adults 24/7 right now)
2. Put him in Montessori, 5 days a week, from 11:15-2:30 every day. Its FREE (which is nice), its a really nice program, they spend over an hour in an outdoor environment every day, small mixed age class, (3-6yr olds), diverse kids, nice teachers, the school is really nice looking with lots of great learning materials. I could also volunteer at the school.
I LOVE the Montessori concept, and did it myself as a child, I know he would really enjoy it and I do like the teachers.
- I'd have to drop off, pick up, and pack lunch every day. I share a car so this could be a pain.
-They eat lunch right when they get there, which I think is silly, he may as well eat at home! He has lots of food allergies so would have to eat seperate from the other kids anyway. He also doesn't normally eat at that time, so I'd have to adjust him (challenge with his allergies)
- He is also allergic to things like cleaning supplies, carpets, paint on the wall, play doh, food colorings.... lots of things that in a school environment might not be avoidable.
- He might have to drop out of gymnastics to accomidate the schedual, which he loves so that would stink! The timing means he could still go to his science class, but story time we would have to skip or leave early to get to school on time, or go to school late on those days (which would only be cutting into lunch time anyway)
- he basically wouldnt be able to do any playdates with our local natural mom's group, the timing of the school is right in the middle of when most playdates happen (usually start at 10:30ish and go for 2-3 hours, and are 10-30min away from us)
- we like to travel, and I'd have to pull him from school to do this
- we don't vax so I have to lie and claim "religious" for exemptions and deal with all that paperwork, going to the heath dept, etc.
- I REALLY want to homeschool him! My family thinks he should go to school because its great and its free. Next year, I cant affford Montessori (its not free for 5yr olds), so I'd have to pull him out to homeschool or put him in public school. So either way this would only be for a year. Next year I dont know if homeschooling will be an option, sense I am a single mom and we live with my parents who may be moving overseas soon, so I dont know what our future will be (if I knew for sure I could homeschool him for KG, that would make me go for this years Montessori more, but I dont know yet!)
- he is super super smart, gifted for sure, so I guess Montessori could be really good or really bad for gifted kids from what I've read.
- I'm going to school working on my teaching degree, I dont know if I could coordinate my schedual with his, if not, then thats more time I'd be away from him sense my mom would have to watch him while Im in class (which is what we do now, I have class 2 evenings a week). I work part time, and can bring ds with me sometimes but he doesnt like to go, so again more time with him away from me. I already feel like he is away from me too much as it is!
I only have until thursday to decide! Help!!!