or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Um... that was the weirdest thing ever.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Um... that was the weirdest thing ever.

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 

I just heard something HONKING on my front porch, so I went & looked out the glass in my front door, and there was a PEACOCK on my front porch.  Like, a giant, full-sized peacock.  How does that happen exactly?  LOL.  We live out in the country right across from a big lake -- do those things run free in the wilderness (aka suburbs)?  lol.gif

 

post #2 of 22

Lots of people in my town have peacocks that run free.  My town is about 100k people, and about 70 miles from the nearest big city...I guess it's a burb of sorts.

 

We have the usual gorgeous blue ones and even some all white ones which are so pretty!

post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 

A friend just told me that they symbolize love, devotion, and good luck.  I'll take it!  I wonder if I fed it bread, would it be our pet forever?  haha.


 

post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post

A friend just told me that they symbolize love, devotion, and good luck.  I'll take it!  I wonder if I fed it bread, would it be our pet forever?  haha.


 



Yes! A good friend of mine has a pet peacock. Lol she just started coming around and my friend fed her...she's been there for years now.

 

post #5 of 22

My son's BFF has peacocks and male is the funniest thing in world.  It wakes up and "knocks" on the door for snacks.  Every morning! They can't leave the screen door open or he comes in and perches on the back of the couch. He is very protective of the kids and will block strangers from getting too close.

 

If you do feed him he will keep coming back.  Their peacock travels the neighborhood in search of snacks.

post #6 of 22

We used to live across the street from a Zoo.  The peacocks loved to come to our yard to eat the Oak seed whirlybirds. Sometimes they would wander up onto our front porch.  Our cat was NOT a fan!  Poor guy! 

post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBearsMom View Post

My son's BFF has peacocks and male is the funniest thing in world.  It wakes up and "knocks" on the door for snacks.  Every morning! They can't leave the screen door open or he comes in and perches on the back of the couch. He is very protective of the kids and will block strangers from getting too close.

 

If you do feed him he will keep coming back.  Their peacock travels the neighborhood in search of snacks.



Legend is that they were used like guard dogs in old-y times. 

 

I would love to have peacocks.   I think they are so cool.

 

post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 

I think they're kinda creepy.  bag.gif   I'm not a big fan of birds in general, especially gigantic ones that are nearly half as tall as me & HONK.  Geez.  But they are really pretty, and the kids would love having them around.  I think I'm going to put out birdseed & cracked corn and see what happens.


 

 

 

post #9 of 22

Wow, cool! Our tiny local zoo has peacocks that roam free. I love the ahhh-AHHH! sound they make, but it would completely disorient me to hear that noise coming from my front porch! lol.gif

post #10 of 22

Very neat, I love them!  There is a lady around here who keeps them and they roam around.  Much better than cats roaming around IMO.  Although people's cats do too.

post #11 of 22

Wow that is very cool. I'd take a peacock over the crows we have in our yard anyday!

 

Rhianna

post #12 of 22

We have peacocks.They are goofy and fun to watch and will peck the bugs off the front of your car for you! They also loooove to look at themselves and have discovered "the peacocks" in our sliding glass door, so they spend a lot of time admiring themselves there. 

post #13 of 22

Yep, we had them too when I lived out west.  I remember the 2nd day I was there, I walked outside and almost fainted when I saw a big, beautiful peacock strutting around our yard!!  I ran back into the house to get the camera and my roommate just laughed and said that there was not point in taking a picture because they are everywhere.  Crazy!!

post #14 of 22

Yeah, the US does have a feral peafowl (peacock is male orngtongue.gif) population. Or it could just be someone's pet got loose.

post #15 of 22
My mom has them roaming around her house. I think they sound like screaming women. The huge pack of wild turkeys are worse...
post #16 of 22

The hospital my mum was at last had a peacock who lived in the gardens there. Such a beautiful bird for people to watch! I'd love to have one visit.

post #17 of 22

My apartment complex has peacocks.  They are walking on my roof, sitting on my deck, and sitting on the porch outside my door as I type.  They sleep in the Redwood trees that overhang my deck.   I brush past their feathers on my way to my car, feed them Kashi cereal out of my hand, pet their babies, etc all the time!  I have been living here for eight years and they have been here longer than that.

post #18 of 22

 

Quote:
A friend just told me that they symbolize love, devotion, and good luck.  I'll take it!  I wonder if I fed it bread, would it be our pet forever?  haha.

Good luck? Not if you keep the feathers in the house. That's meant to invite illness and death into the home. The Victorians and Elizabethans believed that (and presumably everyone in between!) - not sure where the superstition originated, but hey - you have been warned. goodvibes.gif  <-- woo-woo vibes

post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

 

Good luck? Not if you keep the feathers in the house. That's meant to invite illness and death into the home. The Victorians and Elizabethans believed that (and presumably everyone in between!) - not sure where the superstition originated, but hey - you have been warned. goodvibes.gif  <-- woo-woo vibes


We've had peacock feathers in the house for years... People who live hear are healthy and living.

 

post #20 of 22

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by becoming View Post


I just heard something HONKING on my front porch, so I went & looked out the glass in my front door, and there was a PEACOCK on my front porch.  Like, a giant, full-sized peacock.  How does that happen exactly?  LOL.  We live out in the country right across from a big lake -- do those things run free in the wilderness (aka suburbs)?  lol.gif

 

 

I don't know how often one finds them running free, but that's an AWESOME story. I love peacocks!

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Talk Amongst Ourselves
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Um... that was the weirdest thing ever.